PDA

View Full Version : Fly Attaching "Clips"

JoeFred
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I have been diagnosed with O.L.D. :smile: and am faced with the dilemma of either having to give up fly fishing or caffeine, but don't particularly want to part with either "vice." My ability to tie a fly onto a tippet with a reliable knot was never great, but my increasing shakiness and lost fish has me swearing to quit the sport on an increasing frequency. I have a cap-mounted magnifier, the magnetic device that holds the fly and a few other gadgets, but still have problems. I haven't seen them at LRO, but once, possibly at Bass Pro, I saw some very small "clips", for lack of a better description, that you tie on to the tippet. Then, with that at least, you would have option of switching flies while on the stream. If you know of such, let me know. The obvious question is, how small and what types of flies and on what types of water could you use with such a clip and not render the setup useless.

Kent
09-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Lew's Speed Clip is probably what you refer to. Some of the striper guys on the west coast like `em for quick fly changes. I don't know how small they come, but expect you'd be limited to bigger flies (not necessarily a bad thing).

JoeFred
09-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the info, Kent.

Enjoyed your web site. Your July 5 photo of the Flint trip is top notch. I got to canoe and fish Big Cedar Creek once with my brother and his two sons.

JF

silvercreek
09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe the No-Knot Fas-Snap is what you seek.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2463_175003000_175000000_175003000_175-3-0#BVQAWidgetID

MadisonBoats
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I have been diagnosed with O.L.D. :smile: and am faced with the dilemma of either having to give up fly fishing or caffeine, but don't particularly want to part with either "vice." My ability to tie a fly onto a tippet with a reliable knot was never great, but my increasing shakiness and lost fish has me swearing to quit the sport on an increasing frequency. I have a cap-mounted magnifier, the magnetic device that holds the fly and a few other gadgets, but still have problems. I haven't seen them at LRO, but once, possibly at Bass Pro, I saw some very small "clips", for lack of a better description, that you tie on to the tippet. Then, with that at least, you would have option of switching flies while on the stream. If you know of such, let me know. The obvious question is, how small and what types of flies and on what types of water could you use with such a clip and not render the setup useless.

JoeFred,
I have a problem with this issue to a neck injury and it causes me some problems when it is cold. What I did to address this issue is; I bought 2 leader wallets and tied my flies that I planned on using to a piece of tippet and rolled them up nicely placed in my leader wallet. You can use sandwich bags too; just cut a piece of file folder or something to help keep the shape of the bag flat so it will not tangle. Then, all you have to do is tie a blood-knot in to your leader.

JoeFred
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Maybe the No-Knot Fas-Snap is what you seek.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2463_175003000_175000000_175003000_175-3-0#BVQAWidgetID (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2463_175003000_175000000_175003000_175-3-0#BVQAWidgetID)

Silvercreek, that's the one. Thanks.

JoeFred,
I have a problem with this issue to a neck injury and it causes me some problems when it is cold. What I did to address this issue is; I bought 2 leader wallets and tied my flies that I planned on using to a piece of tippet and rolled them up nicely placed in my leader wallet. You can use sandwich bags too; just cut a piece of file folder or something to help keep the shape of the bag flat so it will not tangle. Then, all you have to do is tie a blood-knot in to your leader.

Good idea, Shawn. Thanks.

JF