PDA

View Full Version : Last Week in Elkmont

Rog 1
10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Made my annual trip to Elkmont for a week of camping and fishing with my best friend from college. We have been doing this for about 35 years and each trip is unique unto itself.

Set up camp in the light rain last Sunday at the last campsite before the bridge to LR trail. Listened to rain all night and Monday was a washout except for the power nap from 4 to 7...must have been a cloud burst up the mountain because when we woke up the river was running chocolate brown and about 2 feet higher....planned on going to Biltmore for some sightseeing the next day.

Woke up Tuesday and the river was back down and running clear....ate breakfast and head up above the campground....fished most of the afternoon with a yellow neversink caddis and the fish were just killing it...even with the high water if you could find a nice eddy or a shallow run the fishing was hot...must have caught 20-30 fish between us...all on dries.

Wednesday we headed over to WPLP and fished the lower section just above the handicap walkway....another great day of dry fly fishing....water was a little lower but still flowing good....caught several bows in 10 to 11 inch range...

Thursday we hike up above the high bridge on Huskeys Gap trailhead and got into them again on the dries....anything with yellow was the trick....again all rainbows and they were fat....we must have had a 40 fish day with at least one trout going 11 inches....

Friday is always out last day and traditionally we fish the upper reaches of the WPLP below the Chimneys....got into the river about 1pm and found the water was up again from all the rain Wednesday night....made for some tight climbing but if you could find the right water the fish were willing....be a dry fly nut I fished a green or yellow Madam X parachute and the fish just loved them....my friend was trying other flies and was ready to quite when we reached our favorite stretch of water....put him on to the magic bug and in about a 100 yds he pulled in four fish up to 10 inches and lost easily that many again....just to bad our Gators couldn't pull the same kind of comeback last night....

I know everyone says this water calls for nymphs and big wet flies but I am hard put to not fish my dries when I can only get up there a couple of times a year....best fishing we have had in the last four years....really a great time to get out on the water.

flyman
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Bet you didn't leave any coolers out after getting lawed last year did you?:biggrin:;)

Rog 1
10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
No....but the snoop patrols were out....we were a little slow in posting our reservation slip and were called on it....but we were cooler correct this time.

Troutman
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Glad you guys had a good time. Thats a great camping spot, the sounds of the river make me sleep like a baby. :biggrin: