PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone fish the Tellico River often?....need some assistance

foureyes
10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey guys,

I visit this site almost everyday reading up on everyones advice, your guys advice is always helpful. But today instead of being a passive reader, I'm seeking some help.

Generally I'm a pretty patient guy, but here recently I've begun to get rather frustrated with how slowly my fly fishing skills have been developing. I first picked up a fly rod 1 1/2 yrs ago and just absolutely loved it. Since then I really have tried my best to learn the skills needed and knowledge to be a successful angler. I've taken casting lessons, read every magazine I can get my hands on, watch every youtube video, read books, bought DVD's, even hired a couple guides to help accelerate the learning process and develop good techniques/habits. But still having trouble getting bites. Now I know the one thing that I'm missing is experience but I still feel that I should be performing a bit better than I am considering that I have been fishing nearly every weekend since picking up that fly rod the first time.

Now as I writing this email, I feel like I whining. And I hope thats not how I'm coming off, I completely enjoy every trip on the river. I love everything about it. I love the preparation for the trip, I love the drive from Chattanooga to Tellico, I love being in the mountains and witnessing the change of the seasons. But I want to develop a better knowledge of how the river works and how trout behave but I feel that I still missing something.

Now because I live in Chattanooga the only rivers that I can frequent often are the Hiwassee and the Tellico. Now I know that these are stock rivers.....I don't care. I think their gorgeous and I love visiting them, if I had a river that had wild trout nearby I would go there but I don't have that option.

But I was hoping to find someone that frequents the Tellico River often and would like to pass along some of that knowledge to a eager newbie. Really, I would love to just follow someone around and just watch them fish. I would like to see someone with a lot more experience that me approaches a run, how they position themselves along that run, how much time that spend before moving to the next area.....etc, etc, etc.

If anyone would be interested, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

tn hound
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I like the tellico, it just gets pounded and seems the fish are taken out as soon as they are put in. Have you fished it during the delayed harvest in the winter? I have found the deeper(more weight), the better. Big buggy nymphs fished deep.

tennswede
10-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Josh,

You have a lot more options than you think. Send me an email and I can help you out. I don't want to advertise on here. As for your skills, if we could meet one more time I can show you some tricks and techniques. It's not your casting, I think I know what you need. I'm going to the HI this Saturday for TU's event. Send me an email for more details.

Hans

benintenn
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I just picked up the hobby a few months ago and i live in Chattanooga too. I'm a bigger newbie than you so I might not be much help but I'd love to find another fishing partner.

I'm curious to know of the other options in the area as well that tennswede mentioned. I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.

Bfish
10-05-2010, 01:14 PM
....I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/StreamRiver/stockedtrout/sched10.pdf ;)

PS I should have some mid-week days coming up to drift the HI. If my regular partners can't make it, I will be posting that I have an open seat.

tennswede
10-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I just picked up the hobby a few months ago and i live in Chattanooga too. I'm a bigger newbie than you so I might not be much help but I'd love to find another fishing partner.

I'm curious to know of the other options in the area as well that tennswede mentioned. I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.

Ben,

Send an email to ahlstedt@knology.net and I can give you some directions.

foureyes
10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm going to the HI this Saturday for TU's event.

Thanks for the invite Hans. I have some friends in town this weekend so I may or may not be able to attend this weekend. But I will send you an email.

foureyes
10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
benintenn, sounds good. Email me at jcrowder2020@gmail.com and we can find a time to meet up.

foureyes
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I like the tellico, it just gets pounded and seems the fish are taken out as soon as they are put in. Have you fished it during the delayed harvest in the winter? I have found the deeper(more weight), the better. Big buggy nymphs fished deep.

Hey it gets pounded, but still feel like I'm missing a lot of opportunities.

Delayed Harvest.....thats why I think I became so frustrated. Went out this past Sunday which was the first weekend of delayed harvest. Weather was good, water temp great, and not another angler to be seen all day. Sounds good, right? Well, I only caught 3 with a full day of fishing and one of them I didn't even know I hooked until I tried to pull the fly out of the water to cast again. And as far as nymphs I spent most of the day nymphing with a 16 BH Prince Nymph or a something that looks like a copper john but with red wire.

tennswede
10-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Well, Josh, three is not that bad. I was there Friday and caught 3 myself and lost probably 3 more in three, four hours of fishing. Sometimes it's not the numbers but the guality. They stock it for DH, but with less numbers than for the permit season. Also, it takes a week or so for the fish to spread out some. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but there are days when even the most seasoned fisherman won't catch much. The reality is that a lot of them don't want to admit it. Patience will pay off and if you are used to the catchrate from Hiwassee where there are tons of fish, Tellico will be a disappontment to you. There are some wild fish in Tellico but you need to get up higher for most of those.

Scott H.
10-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I like fishing Tellico myself.

On the main river, I would fish big weighted nymphs down lower. As you get up closer to the North River, I would fish a dry dropper rig.

I usually have good success with a caddis dry and a tellico nymph dropper.

Scott

psnapp
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
4eyes -- I used to fish Tellico with a friend quite a bit for several yrs. Our experience was that fly-fishing was much better in the stretches between the rearing pools and Big Oak Cove Camp ground than lower down. Lot of water there, but we hit the flats / riffles with Stimulators / Caddis flies and the deeper pocket water with princes, copper johns, Tellicos and dark stonefly nymphs. After 3-4 yrs of fishing the Tellico, our conclusion was that fish in that big stretch seemed to take flies better than below the rearing pools. There seemed to be more hold-overs and occasional wild trout in that section. Just my 2 cents.

Knothead
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I like to fish the Tellico in the winter when pressure is off. Personally, I have had my best days on the tributaries. Get a good map and start fishing the blue lines.

TGoodwin
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
The DH can be hit and miss, and I wonder if the river has even been stocked yet for the DH. I was up there on Saturday as well and saw few or no fish in the usual stocking spots. Last year the DH on the Tellico fished very well, so I wouldn't give up on it yet.

That said, I usually fish the tributaries. Consider giving those a shot. Had a great day Saturday on a trib catching wild rainbows and even a couple of browns on dry flies. Stay low and be stealthy, and you should pick up a few fish.

tennswede
10-07-2010, 07:45 AM
It is stocked, however at lower numbers than the permit season stocking. I caught three stockers Friday October 1st.

Grannyknot
10-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I was down that way yesterday and saw a few guys with fly rods who looked like they were having some luck just above "Baby Falls".

I also saw some people carrying worm containers around, who I doubt intended on participating in the Delayed Harvest regulations.

TGoodwin
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
It is stocked, however at lower numbers than the permit season stocking. I caught three stockers Friday October 1st.

Not saying that there aren't any stockers in the Tellico right now. There definitely are. There just aren't nearly as many fish in the river as in previous DH seasons. At least in the stretches of the river that I have frequented over the past several years. So I'm just wondering if the stocking for the DH has started in earnest yet, or if the bulk if the stocking will take place after the water temps drop a bit and, hopefully, we get some rain to bring the river levels up.

duckypaddler
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I was down that way yesterday and saw a few guys with fly rods who looked like they were having some luck just above "Baby Falls".

I also saw some people carrying worm containers around, who I doubt intended on participating in the Delayed Harvest regulations.

I thought I recognized the picture of suislide in your post.:smile: I'm wanting to kayak and fish that stretch for a while now

I haven't fished the Tellico much (in fact only fish it when I'm there to kayak already), but have had good success right above Baby Falls if you wade over to small island and fish the far side. If you want to outsmart the baitchunkers A- You should go up there on a Thursday and watch where the stocking truck dumps them - And B - Look for places that you have to wade to, or on opposite side of river than the road where the baitchunkers are unwilling to go:biggrin:. I have a buddy that has one of the camper things up there who fishes it a bunch and he likes above the hatchery like others have suggested.

While the fish were niced sized, it was the first river where I came to the realization of why some people only like catching wild fish. While every now and again I got a good fighter that was probably a holdover, most fish were like reeling in dead weight, making a 4 inch rainbow in the park seem much more appealing:eek:

Has anyone fished Wildcat? I lost my wedding ring in there after a bad swim while kayaking, and that would be a good excuse to go fishingFeel free to e-mail me privately if you feel that's more appropiate:rolleyes:

tennswede
10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
The DH can be hit and miss, and I wonder if the river has even been stocked yet for the DH

I just based it on my interpretation of this statement. I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I do think it has beeen stocked, like it was last year. I had several on along with the ones I caught Friday. I just think it takes a week or two for the fish to disperse a little.

foureyes
10-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys for all the great tips and encouragement.

Baby Falls? I'm not sure where this is? Is that the little waterfall right beside the hachery?

Typically how far past the hackery will you fish? Seems like the water gets pretty shallow and skinny. Still any fish up there? I always figured that the folks that stocked the river probably put the fish in the deeper water down river of the hachery.

Again, I would love to join somebody for a day on the Tellico to help share with me some of your tips and tactics for success on the Tellico. If interested PM me or email me at jcrowder2020@gmail.com

Cheers.

Bfish
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Baby Falls? I'm not sure where this is? I It is the 15 ft or so waterfall just upstream of the Bald river confluence.

duckypaddler
10-10-2010, 10:00 PM
It is the 15 ft or so waterfall just upstream of the Bald river confluence.

It's only 12 feet, but the directions are right:smile:

foureyes
10-10-2010, 10:25 PM
ahhh.....yes. I know where your talking about. Go a little past the pickup truck full of coon dogs, follow the cans of empty corn, and when you see about 8-10 rednecks swimming in the river your there right? j/k

oh yeah, before I've only fished nymphs and streamers, but since a couple of you guys are suggesting dry flies what size and pattern do you suggest?

Grumpy
10-11-2010, 07:58 AM
ahhh.....yes. I know where your talking about. Go a little past the pickup truck full of coon dogs, follow the cans of empty corn, and when you see about 8-10 rednecks swimming in the river your there right? j/k

oh yeah, before I've only fished nymphs and streamers, but since a couple of you guys are suggesting dry flies what size and pattern do you suggest?

We spent Fri-Sun up there, now would be a good time to learn some spots being the water is very low. Orange seemed to be the right color for the dry flies.

Grumpy

psnapp
10-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Grumpy - see any October caddis? -- Phil

Bfish
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
It's only 12 feet, but the directions are right:smile:
Nah, I use to pencil in my 11' kayak, it is taller than 12. :biggrin:

TGoodwin
10-11-2010, 07:46 PM

On the tribs, pretty much any dry fly will catch those wild trout. I like Wulff patterns, #12-14, because they're easy to see. Main thing is stealth. Fish from your knees, hide behind rocks, wade slowly, etc. This is a must with the water so low and clear right now.

I don't use dries much on the stocked fish in the Tellico itself. I tend to have better luck with streamers, wet flies, and nymphs.

psnapp
10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
TGoodwin -- I agree, you are right on about the tribs and main river. I have fished a few times on main river in the fall when dries (stimulators and EHC's) also produced very well.

Phil

Grumpy
10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Grumpy - see any October caddis? -- Phil

;)

Grumpy

Grumpy
10-18-2010, 09:02 AM
I just spent another 3 day weekend up there, the leaves are choking the smaller streams up, not enough flow to wash them out.
My wife & daughter as well as my bro-n-law & his daughter went along as well.
Lot's of good eating, pic taking, finding a new brookie stream & very little fishing.
I sure hope they get some rain up that way soon. The Tellico is about the only thing with enough flow to fish & it has it's fair share of leaf choked runs:frown:

Grumpy

duckypaddler
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Nah, I use to pencil in my 11' kayak, it is taller than 12. :biggrin:

We can take a tape measure next time it runs, but it's 12 feet and no more than 13 on the far right:smile: 15 feet is complete hype. Objects in mirror are closer than thay appear:rolleyes:. Although if we want to argue this point we are on the wrong fourm.
SYOTR,
James

Bfish
10-20-2010, 12:12 PM
We can average it and call it 13.5' :biggrin:

I know it gets shorter with more flow (especially approaching 1000 cfs).