PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Park Brochure

Crockett
10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I found this on another site and thought it might be interesting to some here. It is a copy of the text and pics from a 1933 GSMNP brochure including the rules and regs from the time. It is 4 pages long and you can get to the next page with the arrows at the bottom:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/brochures/1933/grsm/sec1.htm

There was lots of stuff about fishing in there including the following:

"There are 600 miles of ideal trout streams in the park. Easily accessible waters have been fished so much, with so little restocking, that good sport is not assured in them. The inaccessible waters provide good fishing, almost without exception. Persons desiring to fish must secure a fishing license as required by the laws of North Carolina and Tennessee. The nonresident license in North Carolina is $5.10, and in Tennessee, $2.50. Persons who fish in both the North Carolina and Tennessee sections of the park must secure a license in each State.

In order to restock the streams with trout certain of them have been closed to fishing. In the Tennessee section of the park Cosby Creek, Fish Camp Prong, East Fork of Little River above Fish Camp Prong and West Fork of Little River have been closed. In the North Carolina section of the park Twentymile Creek, Forney Creek, and Deep Creek have been closed. All closed streams are plainly marked by signs."

On wild animals:

"Although hunting is not permitted in the park, former residents of the area were hunters by instinct, and have in the past greatly reduced the wildlife. Deer are practically exterminated. Some bears, wild cats, and smaller animals, and some ruffed grouse and wild turkeys remain. A comprehensive restocking program of animals and game birds once native to the region will be undertaken."

The fishing regs are on the last page that was pretty interesting as well. Also the punishment for poaching and most all other offenses was the same as today 6 months possible imprisonment or up to a $500 fine. Shows that they haven't changed much of the regs at all since 1933. Most of the camping and other type of regs look very familiar.

ifish4wildtrout
10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
That's pretty cool.

JoeFred
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Great find, Adam.

The list of In-the-Park hotels is interesting. Note that the rates were about the same as the Tennessee non-resident fishing license, $2.50.

JF

Crockett
10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah I noticed you could stay at "John Oliver's Lodge" in cades cove for $2 a night. I don't know where that would have been maybe in the John Oliver cabin? Also it is interesting to note that the TN fishing licensce was about the same price as a night at a hotel. Today mirror's that in that you can get the TN hunt/fish combo for around $30 about the same price as many of the cheaper hotels in pigeon forge.

Bran
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
That's really interesting, I'm always looking for little pieces pf history like that. Thanks a lot for sharing.

NDuncan
10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I like the old map....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Picture11.png

duckypaddler
10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
A buddy I met through this board has been loaning me old Smoky Mountain Hiking Club guides. He has most of them through the 70's. It's really cool to see how some things haven't changed a bit and others are completely different. People back then were really tuff, hiking 25 or so miles a day with 10+ of it being stream hopping. I guess TV ruined us all. I will try to post a couple of the cool maps that were inside. The 1937 trailmap has a bunch of old trails that I had been long looking for, and in the 1926 guide the is a map of the "Proposed Great Smoky Mtn Nat Park" which is cool to see.

I fished up Starkey about a 1/3 of a mile last Friday and wondered why the trail stops about there on the map (Devil's courthouse) and doesn't continue to top of AT on the old maps. Was there a destination there I'm not aware of?

Gotta love the park - I'm heading for a place I refer to as "eden" there tomorrow. With my sinking tip attachment I hope to get deep enough in those huge pools to hook a monster:eek:

NDuncan
10-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Also, If anyone wants to look at the collection of historical topo maps of the park here's a good link, you can view the various topos, some quadrangles have several versions from the 30's up through the 70's... The old maps include the locations of some cemeteries as well.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/nphtml/gsmhome.html#eusgsm

And there are maps of historical significance going back well before the creation of the park.

Here's an interesting piece of Arnold Guyot's map completed in 1864 from expeditions in 1856,59, and 60, showing Hazel creek as "Hazelnut creek"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Picture12.png

sammcdonald
10-07-2010, 08:19 PM
oliver lodge was located about 100 yards down path to elijah oliver farm

Barbara
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Sam,

Do you know where Tremont Hotel was located?

duckypaddler
10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Sam,

Do you know where Tremont Hotel was located?

I will scan the Proposed map from the 1926 SMHC guide in the next day or so. It list more than a dozen hotels that were within the park.

Streamhound
10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Eastern National Park to Park Hi-way. I saw it on the map posted and wondered if in yall's docs you had anything about it