PDA

View Full Version : Which camera?

Knik
10-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Guys, I need help deciding on a new camera. Lost/misplaced mine on Little River sat. evening, got in a hurry and think I might have left it on top of the truck.....:mad: Oh well, it's a good excuse to buy a new one, feel naked going fishing without it.

So, I would like to get one that is water proof and around the $250-$350 range. Most I have read the reviews on seem to get a few bad marks for quality of pics. Is this user error or just the nature of the beast when dealing with water proof cameras?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

kentuckytroutbum
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Knik-

I asked a similar question last week, and I was told to get an Olympus Stylus Tough #6020, and it is waterproof. Olympus had a list price of $299, but you could probably find on sale for less.

Bill

MadisonBoats
10-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I purchased the Olympus Stylus 850 SW from Office Max about a month ago. They have it on clearance at their stores for around $150. The quality is decent for an 8mp camera that is waterproof. I think you can order the camera for that price from their stores if it is not in stock too...

My only gripe is that it collects air bubbles in the lens eye and you have to remember to turn it up to release them. Also, I have been getting a few leaks in the battery compartment. It is a nice camera for the price and the underwater video is decent at 30 frame per second.

Here is a 550 for $150 on their website. You can search around for other models.http://www.officemax.com/technology/digital-cameras-digital-video-cameras-digital-camera-accessories/shop-cameras-by-brand/olympus-digital-cameras/product-prod2430198?sp=true

jeffnles1
10-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I have an Olympusn790SWnwhich came before the one MadisonBoats has. The photo quality is Pretty good and the little camera sure it tough. It has been dropped, sat on, rolled around in my fishing bag, been out west 3 times and it still functions fine.

My wife has the Pentax Optio (cannot remember the number) and she likes it fine. One thing I do not like about the pentax is the lack of a lense cover. For a camera that spends a lot of time out fishing, I think you are asking for a scratched up lens with mo covering.

Jeff

Knik
10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Jeff, good point about the lens cover, hadn't thought about that.

Well, I've been looking online every night this week, and finally found what I was looking for. Wouldn't you know it, resolution max is low. It's a Panasonic Lumix, same as my old one, but waterproof. So, guess I'll go with the Olympus 6020, higher resolution. Since it will only be dunked under water every once in a while, maybe it will hold up and be ok.

Thanks guys for the input.

Knothead
10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I have a Konica. Gift from the kids. My brother-in-law has one of the expensive ones- about $600. His take is that Konica has been making cameras for a long time and have a good reputation. I had a Fujifilm that lasted about two years. Camera shop was going to repair it for $100. I can buy a new camera for less money!

Knik
10-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Well guys, broke down and picked up a Olympus tough 6020 at best buy.... yep ...... I know I could have picked it up cheaper on line, but had to have it for today. :biggrin:

Spent the day back up the Tellico way, had an ok trip I guess, maybe 16 to hand. Going to have to practice with the camera though and get used to all the functions. Seems like every trout I tried to "pose" for a pic., flipped out of my hands...lol Did try the underwater thing on one bow, but the pics turned out dark, when I used the LED light with it he sure did shine.:smile:

Went ahead and got the 3yr. warranty just in case, hope I don't have to use it.

When I get some more pics., I'll start a thread in the "Photo" section of the forum.

Thanks for the input!

Shannon

jeffnles1
10-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Shannon,
I assume the Olympus Tough series is fairly similar to my Olympus 790SW. When I'm taking pictures of fish in hand, I set it to the macro setting (the little icon of a flower). This allows the camera to be focused closer and remain in focus.

Of course, if I caught bigger fish, I wouldn't need to do that, but given the size of most fish I catch, I don't have to worry about them being outside the area of the photo.

Hope your camera works out. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's been dropped (more than once), under water, in my pocket in all day rains, out in hot weather, cold weather and even on a few pretty days and it still works great.

One thing, you may want to invest in a spare battery. It takes a while to recharge them and having a spare on hand makes it quite handy to have a fully charged spare on hand.

Jeff

Knik
10-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Jeff, thanks for the tip on the battery. I'll make sure to pick another one up before any extended trips.

Tried my best to get some pics. this past wknd, but was afraid of handling the few fish I caught for to long, still trying to get used to the camera. Guess it's like my casting...... need to practice.:smile:

WarrenP
10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Another accessory you may want to look at is a cover for the back of the camera where you view the picture you are about to take. I always worried that that screen would get scratched up on my Pentax Optio and at Wal-Marts for about $9.95 you can purchase a cover that has 3M tape on the back to stick on the camera. It covers the screen and you just flip it open to use the camera. It "pops" open and has side shutters that help you view the screen by blocking the sun and light from coming in from the top and sides. It does help and it comes in 2 screen sizes and in black and gray/silver to match the camera. I think either size will fit about all the cameras out there. You just purchase the size that fits the screen on the back of your camera.

Just a thought and nothing more.....

MadisonBoats
10-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Another accessory you may want to look at is a cover for the back of the camera where you view the picture you are about to take. I always worried that that screen would get scratched up on my Pentax Optio and at Wal-Marts for about $9.95 you can purchase a cover that has 3M tape on the back to stick on the camera. It covers the screen and you just flip it open to use the camera. It "pops" open and has side shutters that help you view the screen by blocking the sun and light from coming in from the top and sides. It does help and it comes in 2 screen sizes and in black and gray/silver to match the camera. I think either size will fit about all the cameras out there. You just purchase the size that fits the screen on the back of your camera.

Just a thought and nothing more.....

It drives me nuts that most manufactures removed the viewfinder lens:rolleyes:. I hate using the screen.