PDA

View Full Version : Big Chipmunk Year?

ZachMatthews
10-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I noticed in Byron's fishing report that he's been seeing a lot of wildlife activity. So have I! Especially chipmunks: I've probably seen ten times the number of chipmunks this year that I usually do. I also noticed a very heavy acorn mast in the mountains the last few weeks, and I've flushed a couple more grouse than normal. (Those things may be related: http://www.springerlink.com/content/5875406312676685/).

Are we in some kind of planetary alignment or something? :) Seriously, anyone else seeing a lot of wildlife?

Zach

Crockett
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I have noticed all the acorns this year. Seen some pools up above Greenbrier in the creek that had green bottoms from thousands of acorns there a month ago. Looks a lot like 2008 that was a good year. Last year they started out good but an early frost killed knocked out the acorn production early so the mast was a bit below average. As far as seeing wildlife some of it must be luck cause last year I saw 14 different bears in the backcountry when hiking but this year I haven't seen one yet although I have been out a lot. Probably just a matter of time though. I tend to see a lot more early in November after the leaf fall but before they start sleeping in cause you can hear them walking around in the leaves and spot them more easily before they see you.

ukfb1
10-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Was on the Cranberry River in WV last month and also saw an unusal number of Chipmunks. Thought it a little strange also. I'm sure the Owls we heard at night are happy.

Rog 1
10-13-2010, 04:30 PM
The last couple of years I have noticed smaller numbers of chipmunks in the Elkmont Campground as well as an absence of turkey and deer....this has coincided with the increase in the presence of coyotes in the campground....was back there for a week several weeks ago and it seemed that the numbers of chipmunks had increased or they were out and about more than in past years...down here the pyracantha shrubs are loaded with fruit...hope all of this is not a sign of another winter like last year.