PDA

View Full Version : 30'' Trout

No Hackle
10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I've had a couple of phone calls and e-mails wanting me to share my story. I was really reluctant because of the size of the fish with people thinking I was blowing smoke. There were about 5 or 6 people there including Hugh, my father and brother. Hugh was the one that estimated the size of the fish.It was easily the largest trout that I've hooked in the park. The largest I have caught is 25'' in the park and 28'' on the clinch. It was a great experience to have. I played him for about 3 or 4 minutes but seemed longer. The hook just pulled out. That's just the way it goes. The one consolation is I know where it lives.
Lynn

flyman
10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I would make it a point to stop by there every time it rained, early, and late. Locating big fish is about 1/2 the challenge of catching them. I look forward to seeing the photos:biggrin:

silvercreek
10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I saw the photo of you fighting him on Hugh's site. Takes a big fish to bend a rod like that. Landed or not, It had to be a rush to catch a fish that size. Just curious, do you mind naming the pattern he took? Regards, Silvercreek

No Hackle
10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Silvercreek, it took a fly I call a Tennessee twentyincher.
Lynn

ifish4wildtrout
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I saw the photo of you fighting him on Hugh's site. Takes a big fish to bend a rod like that. Landed or not, It had to be a rush to catch a fish that size. Just curious, do you mind naming the pattern he took? Regards, Silvercreek

Link to that site?

Oh, and I'm guessing it was a brown.

No Hackle
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Go to Hugh Hartsell members profile the link should be there and it was a brown.
Lynn

silvercreek
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Link. Love a description or better yet a pic of that fly. Go to reports on the site http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/index.htm

No Hackle
10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Fly is basically a prince nymph with grey biots and yellow thread. With the way the fish ate it could have been anything with in reason.
Lynn

duckypaddler
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Link. Love a description or better yet a pic of that fly. Go to reports on the site http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/index.htm

That pic explains to me why I saw 2 guys fishing there last time I kayaked that section. When we were done fishing and ran shuttle they were still there. At the time I was thinking it was odd for 2 guys to fish a hole for 3+ hours, but I guess there is good reason why:biggrin:

Congrats, and I hope you hook him again:smile:

silvercreek
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Lynn, I guess you'll have to rename it the Tennessee thirtyincher! Silvercreek

afoshie
10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
I know where that is by that pick

MadisonBoats
10-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I cannot find the video...I visited Hugh's Website and saw some pictures of a brown trout from the link posted above. The fish on the website looks to be around 20" or in the low 20s. Maybe I am lost or looking at the wrong pictures:redface:

silvercreek
10-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Go to the web site, click on "reports". It is a photograph on the top report showing Lynn on a rock wall with a rod that is bowed into the rod butt. Silvercreek

jeffnles1
10-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Not sure exactly where it is but even if I knew, I think I'd let Lynn have another shot at him.

The bend in that rod tells the whole story. Nice going.

Jeff

GrouseMan77
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Most of the people I see fishing that hole are chest deep in it and usually smoking a big cigar. :rolleyes:

flyman
10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Most of the people I see fishing that hole are chest deep in it and usually smoking a big cigar. :rolleyes:

That ain't a cigar:biggrin:

No Hackle
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I would say that pretty soon that ole girl will move out on her spawning run. Most of the fish I saw on that day had already moved out by monday.
Lynn

flyman
10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I would say that pretty soon that ole girl will move out on her spawning run. Most of the fish I saw on that day had already moved out by monday.
Lynn

Full moon in a couple days outta just about do it:biggrin:

GrouseMan77
10-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Full moon in a couple days outta just about do it:biggrin:

Please stop mooning the fish. Just cause you can't catch em doesn't mean that you have to blind em. :cool:

flydoc
10-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing that hole's going to get a lot of action the next week or two. Agree with Jeff, it's Lynn's spot for the rest of the season to try to get another crack at him. Congrats!

Maurer
10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Awsome story I've seen some bruisers in the and fished for a couple a few years back. We had em named bubba gump and scare face. I've spent many a morning drinking coffee waiting for the sun to rise on that wall. Then jack caught one of them and had the pic to prove. I hope you can get another shot at him Lynn. I also bet if he is 30 inches that he is bigger than 8 pounds!

MadisonBoats
10-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Go to the web site, click on "reports". It is a photograph on the top report showing Lynn on a rock wall with a rod that is bowed into the rod butt. Silvercreek

Thank You!

No Hackle
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
You guys go ahead and fish it. That trout is only going to feed like that very seldom we'll have to catch it at that time. With the rain we just got and the full moon will probley push her towards the spawn and then as far as I'm concerned she's off limits to everyone. At least til she's finished.
She may not even winter there and the search will be on again. I think she's from farther down stream anyway. She didn't get that big being dumb. I've got a feeling she's a nocturnal fish and I only caught her in one of those weird moods.
Lynn

Grannyknot
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
According to some TWRA estimates, she could be around 15 years old, although they admit it is hard to do a lenth to age correlation. I hope she is successful is passing those genes down in the next few weeks.

Another amazing thing to think about, considering her age, and the number of times she might have spawned, think about how many brown trout in the river have a direct genetic link to her.

Congrats on spotting her Lynn and thanks for sharing your experience.

JohnR
10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Nice spot and a beautiful bend to that rod!!! Fished there a couple weekends ago. Hope you get another shot at 'er, Lynn.

Rog 1
10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Is there anyone on here who hasn't at some time stood on that wall looking down into that pool and wondering what if....

billyspey
10-20-2010, 10:30 PM
a big line of guys taking turn with salmon eggs and treble hooks casting in that pool warming up for the redd fishing at the bridge grate on the s holston.

Bran
10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
That's great Lynn, I'm just excited for you to have hooked into her for a few minutes! That's a bragging size trout all the way up to Yellow Tail dam and similar areas in MT much less to hook one here in the South!
I went on down Hugh's page and couldn't help but chuckle at the pics of the couple fishing the week before with all the Patagonia and Orvis gear not to even mention the Rolex. Wonder where people get the idea FF is a "elitist" sport? Where I come from a kid with a cane pole has a pretty good chance of doing just as well as I do with my Winston.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

No Hackle
10-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I doubt you'll ever see over-alls in an orvis catalog any time soon. You can add that to the absolute list. Pretty funny.
Lynn

Troutman
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm beginning to think that the fishing overalls are the key to finding and catching the really big smokies trout. I always see Jack and Timmy wearing them. Designer orvis overalls might be the next big thing! :eek:

You must be living right Lynn. :biggrin:

Rog 1
10-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't see them as much as I used to....can always remember see the older locals in their overalls, work boots and cane poles heading in to go fishing...watched these guys "high stick" with a local wet fly and out fish everyone of the outfitter dressed hotshots....walked in behind two of these locals one spring headed to Rough Creek...they had their city cousin with them...on the way out I passed them again...the boys in the overalls had their limits hanging from a switch stringer and pockets full of ramps handing from their bibs....great memory of sight and smell

Grannyknot
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
...the boys in the overalls had their limits hanging from a switch stringer and pockets full of ramps handing from their bibs....great memory of sight and smell

That is a great memory Rog.

Grouseman and I have discussed a possible resurgence of fishing in overalls, thanks to a fond respect that we both have for Ray Ball. We both hesitate due to chaffing issues if they get damp in the groin area. Can anyone provide a reassuring comment on said issue?

No Hackle
10-21-2010, 02:05 PM
They quit rubbing you the wrong way after about 4 or 5 years. Your just not giving yours the chance to break in. Be Patient and the'll set you free.
Lynn

BigMax
10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
just wear some compression shorts under your overalls therefore you will have no friction between the denim and skin....i have done this before, anytime one goes swimming in jhorts compression shorts are the #1 requirement.

flyman
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I wear a customized pair of overhauls when I'm fishing:biggrin:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/March%20of%20Dimes%20Tie-A_Thon/HillbillyOveralls.jpg

GrouseMan77
10-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I wear a customized pair of overhauls when I'm fishing:biggrin:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/March%20of%20Dimes%20Tie-A_Thon/HillbillyOveralls.jpg

How far along are you? You probably should't be drinking while pregnant.

pineman19
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Flyman,

Looks like you swallowed a six-pack;) Bottles, carton, the whole she-bang!

Neal

No Hackle
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
That's just wrong!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn

MikeTN
10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, forgive me for jumping off topic on the overalls...

I was fishing the road between Elkmont and Metcalf today- not even close to that wall.

I was getting a few hits on an orange palmer until I snagged the tree above.

While I was retying, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. When I looked, the biggest brown I have ever seen was riding the current downstream. It passed about three feet from me. It was every bit 30" and I would say 32" or 33" if I had to put money on it. That fish was so big it startled me for a second.

It went on downstream. I tried to move to watch it further, but the sunlight was hitting the water just right so that I was only able to watch it for about 20 feet.

Don't know if it is the same fish, but certainly the same class. Definitely not something I will be forgetting anytime soon.

jeffnles1
10-24-2010, 07:59 AM
It went on downstream. I tried to move to watch it further, but the sunlight was hitting the water just right so that I was only able to watch it for about 20 feet.

Don't know if it is the same fish, but certainly the same class. Definitely not something I will be forgetting anytime soon.

Nice. I'd like to see one that big. It makes sense there would be a couple wise old boys and gals swimming in those waters. Even if I couldn't catch it, I'd just like to see one that big swimming in one of the Smoky Mtn. rivers.

thanks for sharing,

Jeff

silvercreek
10-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I've been lucky enough t see two monsters in years past. Unlucky enough to never hook one. A friend and I saw one right at Metcalf Bottoms. That fish was in about 2 feet of water when I first saw him. Had to be over 25 inches. I saw another in a pool on the stream toward Elkmont. I had broken off my tippit in a tree. I was standing in the tail of the pool. When I got everything knotted on again, I looked up and saw a trout so big, I'm not even going to guess it size. It just slowly vanished in the depths of the pool. I would never have thought a trout could get so big. Silvercreek

Grannyknot
10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Lynn, you mentioned that you saw Hugh that day.
If you see him again any time soon, please tell him to visit the forum a little more often to share his stories and knowledge.

If he is too busy fishing & guiding, good for him.

No Hackle
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Hugh told me he has been keeping up on the board just not weighing in. I think he's had more sports than you can shake a stick at.
Lynn

Bran
10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd been wondering how he was doing since his health problems a while back. We had him on the prayer list at church and the Christian Flyfishers board for awhile. I'm glad he's doing well and getting out on the water!

No Hackle
10-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Hugh looked really good. I'm sure he wouldn't mind for you to keep him in your prayers. Heck while your @ put one up for me. It's good to know you have people willing to take the time to care enough for prayer not only in bad times but good ones also. Thanks for asking Bran.
Lynn

Bran
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
No problem, I've got you covered! http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Grannyknot
10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Lynn, I just thought of the silver lining to the fact that the hook just pulled out of that old beast......it's now proven that you're a man that knows how to tie a good knot. :smile:

No Hackle
10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
That is a good way to look at it, But I still wish I had done some things different. I fought that fish for a while and feel I was on the down side of the fight. I may be wrong, But I feel I had it whipped. Thanks for the kind words though.
Lynn

jeffnles1
10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
That is a good way to look at it, But I still wish I had done some things different. I fought that fish for a while and feel I was on the down side of the fight. I may be wrong, But I feel I had it whipped. Thanks for the kind words though.
Lynn

Lynn,
to tell you the truth, I tend to have more memories of the big ones that got away than of the big ones I've landed.

When it gets away, there is a mystery about it. When it's in your hand, the mystery is gone.

I'm not saying I enjoy losing a monster fish, but years later, I have more fond memories of those that threw the hook or broke off the line than I do of the ones I have pictures of.

Jeff

No Hackle
10-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Jeff, I appreciate that. I don't want to sound like a stuck-up snob, But I've caught a few 20'' trout in the park and other places. I've only hooked 2 trout that were in the class as that fish and it was one of them. The other was on the Clinch. I may never get a nother chance @ a fish of that quality. It won't be from the lack of trying, but those fish are few and far between. Especially in the park. Imean how many fish even live long enough to get that large. It's lived through drought, floods, predation when it was a fry, not to mention the people that have hooked or caught it before. I feel really lucky just to be connected to that fish. I'm still haunted by many fish, but that fish will top them all. It's not some engineered animal, not some lake fish that gets to hide in the depthsslurping shad, not some tailwater monster waiting on the buffet line. This was a fish that is probley near 15 yrs old and lives in the most visited park in the u.s.. Yep I'm one lucky cat.
Lynn

Jim Casada
10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Lynn--That's the perfect attitude; you recognize that you were blessed in a tangible way even if you never touched the fish with net or hand. I feel the same way when an old gobbler outwits me (and plenty of them do). I'm closing in on 300 gobblers killed in my lifetime, and that's primarily a testament to persistence and building time as opposed to any vestiges of being a turkey-killing machine. Still, some of the ones I remember most are those which lived to gobble another day.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

jeffnles1
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Jeff, I appreciate that. I don't want to sound like a stuck-up snob, But I've caught a few 20'' trout in the park and other places. I've only hooked 2 trout that were in the class as that fish and it was one of them. The other was on the Clinch. I may never get a nother chance @ a fish of that quality. It won't be from the lack of trying, but those fish are few and far between. Especially in the park. Imean how many fish even live long enough to get that large. It's lived through drought, floods, predation when it was a fry, not to mention the people that have hooked or caught it before. I feel really lucky just to be connected to that fish. I'm still haunted by many fish, but that fish will top them all. It's not some engineered animal, not some lake fish that gets to hide in the depthsslurping shad, not some tailwater monster waiting on the buffet line. This was a fish that is probley near 15 yrs old and lives in the most visited park in the u.s.. Yep I'm one lucky cat.
Lynn

Lynn,
One thing that I'm glad of is that a fellow like you who has paid his dues was the one who hooked this fish.

I've caught a number of 20"+ trout but those were in Yellowstone on the Madison and lower Gibbon rivers. My largest trout in the park is just shy of 14". However, I only fish the park on average 3 times per year and obviously haven't "paid my dues".

I sure wasn't trying to say one should be happy about losing such a fish, but in years to come, you'll have the memory. I've lost a few huge bass on my fly rod (well huge for northern Kentucky being anything over 7lbs) and have vey fond memories of the fights although they only lasted a few moments.

Nice Catch.

Jeff

No Hackle
10-30-2010, 08:58 PM
jeff I knew what you were saying and your right. Losing a big one does mess with you. The days that followed Every time I blinked I saw that fish and I dont care where your from 7lbs is big. I love to bass fish. Smallmouth are my favorite fish. Do you ever fish Dale Hollow.
Lynn

doghaircaddis
10-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Lynn,

Congrats on an amazing experience that must have been. So did you see her take in the fly? What kind of visual, if any, did you have on fish before the fight was on? I can only imagine the adrenaline rush when you felt the tug.

jeffnles1
10-31-2010, 07:45 AM
jeff I knew what you were saying and your right. Losing a big one does mess with you. The days that followed Every time I blinked I saw that fish and I dont care where your from 7lbs is big. I love to bass fish. Smallmouth are my favorite fish. Do you ever fish Dale Hollow.
Lynn

Lynn,
I haven't fished Dale Hollow for about 20 years and really need to get back there sometime. I have fished Norris a couple times in the last 5 or so years and did pretty good on smallies. Nothing big but they are a load of fun to catch.

One of my favorite places to fish is a little stream in SE Indiana about an hour drive from my house called Laughery Creek. It's full of little longear sunfish and small to medium sized bass. A big bass from the section of stream I'm allowed to fish is 10" and a monster is 14" with most being in the 8-10" range (both largemouth and smallmouth). The longears are about hand sized.

But it's a pretty little stream in a very pretty and peaceful valley. Those longear sunfish are beautiful and always put a smile on my face. They are probably my favorite fish to catch.

Anyway, I'm really glad you got a chance at that trout.

Jeff

No Hackle
11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Doghair, yep I saw the whole thing. I saw the fish take and actually the fly went past the fish and it turned down and took the fly heading down stream.
Lynn

No Hackle
11-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Jeff, I love warmwater species. I grew up fishing for bass. I won my first tourney @ 16. Then I caught my first trout and was a worthless mess after that. I fished dale hollow in Febuary it was great. Fished float and fly the whole time. Caught mostly spots, but the smallies we did catch were all over 3lbs. That lake is also loaded with rainbows. We fished out of horse camp and the cove there had rising fish all day long.
Lynn

elkhaircaddis
11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
i was fishing near the bridge at the bottom of the tremont section with a buddy of mine and we thought we saw a big ole brown. Followed it for a bit, fished for it, then realized it was a carp

alexys01
11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
It is truely unbelievable that a specimen of that class was hanging around an area of such pressure. I would have figured monsters like that would be miles from daylight. We can all daydream now. Congrats on the experience.

No Hackle
11-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Your right that fish is probely a nocturnal. Tis the season I guess. That fish is probely from that hole. Thank you for the nice words.
Lynn