PDA

View Full Version : South Holston TW TVA Boat Ramp

JoeFred
11-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I got to see the new boat ramp on SOHO last week. Nice. I read some place that because of the bad rapids area below Hickory Tree bridge you should use a boat which has the ability to return upstream to take out. Is that the case?

JF

http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread14605_pic1.jpg
Looking back at Emmett bridge with 0 turbine flow.

http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread14605_pic2.jpg
Looking downstream with 1 turbine flow.

kentuckytroutbum
11-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Joe Fred-

Thanks for the photos, I'm glad they put in a boat ramp below the weir dam. Did they also put in a trailer parking area adjacent to the ramp?

I would have thought that they would have put the ramp adjacent to the current weir parking lot. They might have had to take out a few trees next to the bridge to do it though. If they put it right off the parking lot, it might have been real dicey to launch a boat with the generators going, because I've seen what the lower weir looks like.

I've always enjoyed fishing the SoHo, especially with Hugh Hartsell as my guide. ;)

Bill

JoeFred
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, Bill. There is a nice, fairly large, paved parking area.

Hugh's one of the best. I'd say that even if he wasn't a Hamblen Countian.:smile:

JF

kentuckytroutbum
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Joe Fred-

I'm sure that Hugh would get a chuckle out of that.

Thanks again.

Bill

Maurer
11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Joe,

The rapids are some what hairy below Hickory Tree if you don't know what you are doing. I've floated that whole river top to bottom. We've been rowing for a long time though. My suggestion would be to alway scout out your runs before droping them if you are unsure. However all of the fly fishing guides use drift boats, not jet boats to float the wier to Jack's (Below Hickory Tree). Give me a shout.

JoeFred
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Kris, it was a pleasure talking with you again. Thanks for the info. The SOHO maps are just now available online (http://www.saintclairmapping.com) and soon at area outfitters.
JF

http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread14605_pic3.jpg (http://www.saintclairmapping.com)
http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread14605_pic4.jpg (http://www.saintclairmapping.com)

milligan trout degree
11-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I got up there early friday while they were still generating. I saw about seven boats launch and none used that ramp. They all wanted to fish the area between the wiers and the bridge before heading downstream. I think a ramp around hickory tree would be more beneficial. It would atleast give more options for floats. Of course, it would make access to the hickory tree area easier which would mean getting there even earlier for dibs on the best runs.

kylemc
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I got up there early friday while they were still generating. I saw about seven boats launch and none used that ramp. They all wanted to fish the area between the wiers and the bridge before heading downstream. I think a ramp around hickory tree would be more beneficial. It would atleast give more options for floats. Of course, it would make access to the hickory tree area easier which would mean getting there even earlier for dibs on the best runs.

Jack Praters

JoeFred
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM

That's interesting, Jeep. Were there issues with their getting over the Bristol waterworks dam when heading downstream?

JF

milligan trout degree
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Jack Praters
Call me ignorant, but I've fished up and down the SOHO and have been all around the hickory tree area. I've heard Prater's name mentioned many times, but I don't really know anything about the reference. I've floated down the river once before and don't recall seeing any ramps around that area. Perhaps its part of riverway and I just missed it? The time I floated, the guy who owns the property (river rightside) just around the bend of the TVA cul-de-sac area gave me a hard time about not stepping out of my pontoon wihle on his "property" which he claims includes the river bottom.

JoeFred, call me ignorant once again, but I'm not familiar with the Bristol waterworks dam. Actually, I'm sure I'm probably familiar with it, but not so much with that particular title. I'll clarify my previous post. Some of the boats I saw came down from around the islands and over the grates. I believe two did that. One on the near side of the island and one on the far side of the island. The other five or six boats launched from the ramp at the gravel parking lot right at the grates, paddled to mid river between the grates and the bridge and fished there before heading downstream.

JoeFred
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
...I'm not familiar with the Bristol waterworks dam. Actually, I'm sure I'm probably familiar with it, but not so much with that particular title. I'll clarify my previous post. Some of the boats I saw came down from around the islands and over the grates. I believe two did that. One on the near side of the island and one on the far side of the island. The other five or six boats launched from the ramp at the gravel parking lot right at the grates, paddled to mid river between the grates and the bridge and fished there before heading downstream.

Milligan T D... I think what you refer to as the grates is what I was calling the dam. Yours is probably the correct name. I assumed the feature was constructed back in the day in part to ensure an adequate pool of water to satisfy the water department pump intake on the northside. I've not gotten to witness it firsthand, but obivously the brink is deep enough to prevent boats from dragging.

Good info. Thanks.

JF

silvercreek
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Can't tell from the size of the map I can see, but it would be nice if common names for some of the fishing areas were put on the map. They may already be there and I just can't make them out. Regards, Silvercreek

kylemc
11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Call me ignorant, but I've fished up and down the SOHO and have been all around the hickory tree area. I've heard Prater's name mentioned many times, but I don't really know anything about the reference. I've floated down the river once before and don't recall seeing any ramps around that area. Perhaps its part of riverway and I just missed it? The time I floated, the guy who owns the property (river rightside) just around the bend of the TVA cul-de-sac area gave me a hard time about not stepping out of my pontoon wihle on his "property" which he claims includes the river bottom.

Jack Praters house is just past Hickory tree bridge. He will let you launch or take out there and will shuttle you. There is also a Twra put in/take out on Big Springs,Rockhold,then Bluff City.

JoeFred
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Can't tell from the size of the map I can see, but it would be nice if common names for some of the fishing areas were put on the map. They may already be there and I just can't make them out. Regards, Silvercreek

Thanks for the feedback, silvercreek. I have shown a good many areas where I have fished in the form of fishing pictographs. Examples: Riverbend TVA walk-in area and the pulloffs along Big Springs Rd (see detail at bottom of map page (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/sfhrtw01.htm).) Some are included in the GPS waypoints.

Jack Praters house is just past Hickory tree bridge. He will let you launch or take out there and will shuttle you. There is also a Twra put in/take out on Big Springs,Rockhold,then Bluff City.

Kyle, I have come to appreciate the extent to which Jack is helping anglers experience the stream. I'll call more attention to his location on a future revision.

Thanks for the info.
JF

milligan trout degree
12-01-2010, 07:02 AM

I probably saw Jack's the last time I floated it, but I don't recall. I floated down to Webb Bridge from Emmett Bridge on low water in a one man pontoon. Talk about an all day float! The ramp on Big Springs is also a mystery to me. I've driven that road many times and I don't remember a ramp being anywhere on there either. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to ramps when I'm fishing.

JoeFred
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Jack's place is downstream of Hickory Tree Bridge and just upstream of some rapids that pose a problem for certain types of watercraft under certain flow conditions.
http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread14605_pic5.jpg
PS. the pictograph is supposed to signify a strocking site. I have got to redo it lest it be mistaken for something other than fish being discharged into the stream. :redface:

kylemc
12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
The ramp on Big Springs is also a mystery to me. I've driven that road many times and I don't remember a ramp being anywhere on there either. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to ramps when I'm fishing.

It is in the 90 degree bend before the road leaves the river. A little dirt cul de sac.

milligan trout degree
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM
It is in the 90 degree bend before the road leaves the river. A little dirt cul de sac.

That's right, I can remember it now, just couldn't picture it earlier. Thanks