PDA

View Full Version : Fly-Fishing Philosophy 101

Fishstu
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
If we define "better" as "more satisfying" or "more enjoyable" which of the following is "better" in terms of GSMNP fly-fishing? (I recognize that there are in reality more options, but ...)

1) to hit the water with high expectations (great conditions) and have a 'bad' day of fishing (e.g., not many to hand and those are on the small side);

2) to hit the water with low expectations (poor conditions) and have a 'good' day of fishing (e.g., a number to hand and some are of decent size) because you 'rose to the challenge'; or

3) to hit the water with no expectations and have a 'great' day of fishing (e.g., not many to hand but they are good-sized) because you were 'lucky'?

May the fish be plentiful, hungry, none-too-smart, and non-fictional!
Fishstu

Stana Claus
11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Can't speak for anyone else, and since I'm still new to this game my outlook may be different than other folks, but here's my take on it. When I go flyfishing in the Smokies I start with the baseline attitude of having a great day in the outdoors, enjoying the fresh air and general natural surroundings associated with a mountain trout stream. If I catch anything at all (other than a tree, a bush, or a shrub) that immediately escalates the quality of the outing to approaching greatness. So I guess you could say that puts me squarely in the #3 group, although my great day doesn't depend on the size (nor quantity) of the catch.

Rog 1
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I take the attitude that a bad day of fishing in the Smokies beats a good day at just about anything else....when I first started fishing up there in my teens my days were always graded by the number and size of fish I caught....I could always hedge by day by choosing where and when I fished....now just getting on the water and into the rythm of the act of fly fishing is enough to satisfy my itch...the act of catching a fish is icing on the cake...each experience is special in itself and to place expectations on an outing ahead of time is subjecting yourself to disappointment when it should always be a win/win situation.

jeffnles1
11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
There are no bad days fishing. Some days the catching is better than others, but the fishing is always good.

When I go fishing, I have high expectations of having an outstanding day on the stream (or lake) and enjoy the time to chat with my creator and take in the sights, sounds, and smells of being on the water. Regardless of if it is the smell of the cool damp woods of the Smokys, or the smells of the water and grass around an urban lake. The sound of water crashing over rocks in a stream or waves lapping at the shore of a lake. The sight of the light playing tricks on the water and the anticipation of a hungry fish just below the surface waiting to inhale a fly that I've cast. That is where my expectations lie.

Actually catching a fish is secondary. I've been skunked enough to not get upset by it and I've caught a lot of fish on enough days to get cocky if I were a fish counter.

The only thing that I consider quantity to count for is the number of days I get to go fishing. The more the better. As for numbers of fish, it just doesn't matter any more. When I was a younger fellow, I may have been more into catching but the older I get, the more I realize the number of days left to go fishing are fewer than the number of days past so I treasure every one of them for what they are.

At least that's my philosophy on fishing (fly fishing or any style of fishing).

Jeff

rivergal
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I fish with no expectations. I just enjoy watching the seasons change,and listening to the river music. There is something magic about having your feet planted in a river.

NDuncan
11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
As long as I don't spend too much time untangling bird's nests, it is almost impossible for me to not have a great day, even if I end up skunked.

Knothead
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Fishing is always good; catching is another thing. Ever since I started back to fly fishing and mostly into trout, I count catching a fish as the icing on the cake. It beats working!

flyman
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm so in love with the sport and all the things involved that I am just happy to be out and pursing fish.:biggrin:

Crockett
11-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm so in love with the sport and all the things involved that I am just happy to be out and pursing fish.:biggrin:

Now we know what kind of creel fly man uses :biggrin:

flyman
11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
This Mac Apple thing can really spell, you just have to feed it the right word:redface:

GrouseMan77
11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Now we know what kind of creel fly man uses :biggrin:

I don't know how he makes room in there considering how it's usually filled with all those pretty flies he ties.

Grannyknot
11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't know how he makes room in there considering how it's usually filled with all those pretty flies he ties.

....and pink whigs. :p

flyman
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
....and pink whigs. :p
My girls have a different colored one for everyday of the week:biggrin: I like a little variety in my love life:biggrin: