PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier

autek
11-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Since I'm not good at rock jumping, hiking or other activities that suit young people. Is Greenbrier relatively easy wading ? If not is there somewhere else near Gatlinburg that may be more suitable ? Age is catching up, as well as a couple bad knees.

Thanks

Ed

jeffnles1
11-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Ed,
As Smoky Mountain streams go, the lower parts of Greenbriar (from the road up to the picnic area) is pretty open and easy to wade. The farther up stream you go beyond there, the more rocky it gets. I've never fished the "gorge" but I've heard it's pretty rough way up there.

Porters creek is a bit rocky but it's not to too hard to wade.

You may want to check out Metcalf Bottoms too. It's not too far from G'Burg.

Jeff

pineman19
11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Since I'm not good at rock jumping, hiking or other activities that suit young people. Is Greenbrier relatively easy wading ? If not is there somewhere else near Gatlinburg that may be more suitable ? Age is catching up, as well as a couple bad knees.

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

You may want to consider the Sugarlands portion of the WPLP. Easy access from Newfound Gap Rd. A good access point is by the large stone bridge (heading south) right before the Sugarlands visitor center. There is a trail on north side of the bridge that follows the stream for a ways upstream. Easier to wade than Greenbriar IMO, and it's a productive stretch of water as well, especially in early spring.

Neal

nocona
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
They are working on bridges on the road to Ramsey Cascades trail (i believe they still are, if so the road's-obviously-closed.)

autek
11-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Where is the Ramsey Cascades trail ??

Ed

pineman19
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Ed,

The trailhead to the Ramsey Cascades Tail is at the end of the main Greenbrair Rd. Traveling in on the road there is junction at the bridge over Porters Creek, if you go straight at that junction you'll follow Porters Creek till that road dead ends. If you take a left, you'll cross the bridge where the road roughly parallels the Greenbrier for a few miles until it dead ends at the Ramsey Cascades trailhead.

Neal

flyguys
11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I,ll agree on metcalf bottoms, too. I'm kind of partial to the area, it's where my son caught his first smoky mountain trout! Easy wading and some nice pools, too.

Rog 1
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Ed,

You may want to consider the Sugarlands portion of the WPLP. Easy access from Newfound Gap Rd. A good access point is by the large stone bridge (heading south) right before the Sugarlands visitor center. There is a trail on north side of the bridge that follows the stream for a ways upstream. Easier to wade than Greenbriar IMO, and it's a productive stretch of water as well, especially in early spring.

Neal

Ed...I would second Pineman's recommendation on the lower end of WPLP...you could start either at the first pull out past Park HQ which is the handicap access nature walk or go up to the very next pull out....the river at this end is relatively flat with some good runs...close to the Burg and there is a trail running alongside the river so you can hunt and peck for those spots that don't require too much wading....fishing can be surprisingly good thru here....good luck.