PDA

View Full Version : Quill Gordon Wet Fly

Grannyknot
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
What TMC hook does everyone use for a quill gordon wet fly?
Also, any tips for stripping peacock herl?
I've read where people dip the eye feathers in parafin wax, but that seems excessive to me, but maybe it's necessary?

gmreeves
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure about the Quill Gordon wet but when I used to tie, I would either dip the peacock in a bleach/water solution and burn off the fibers or use a pink eraser. The bleach/water will leave a brittle stem if you do not remove the peacock in time. You can actually watch the fuzz "burn" off and know when it is time to pull it out.

Kytroutbum
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I use a Mustad Classic 9671 and use an eraser to remove the fluff from the quill rather than bleaching.I,also, soak it in water similar to a Biot before winding. Then I coat the quill with Sally Hansen's to help protect it.
Last April, this was a "killer pattern" with trout nailing it as it swung at the end of a drift.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Grannyknot
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Randall, I'll try an eraser.

I assume you are back from your campground hosting duties....got any pictures or stories to share?

flyman
11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
TMC 100 size 12 is about right for that fly. I also use and eraser to strip the quill. Buy a soft one and keep it in a baggie to keep it from drying out, or moisten it with just a little water and pat it dry before using it. Coat the body before you tie in the wing and let it dry. The Wood Duck I use for the wing will suck up any errant adhesive or protective coating. I will often tie up a half dozen and treat all the bodies with some type of adhesive all at once. This really is a good fly that is often overlooked at a time when everyone is anxiously awaiting the first productive dry fly bite of the season.

Grannyknot
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the tips Steve.
Grouseman turned me on to this fly and I was amazed that when fished at the right time of year this fly seemed to throw the trout into a frenzy.

gmreeves
11-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Out of curiosity, what rivers have a prevalent Quill Gordon hatch? I remember fishing the Davidson about 10 or 12 years ago and had some decent Quill Gordons coming off.

Grannyknot
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
In the park, the Quill Gordon wet fly is about the only thing I have any consistent luck with from Mid Feb thru March. I really don't know if there is a signifigant hatch or not, but it works. Interestingly, the "March Brown" never really seems to be effective for me until mid-April.

I took this picture towards the end of March near Tremont. I thought it was a Quill Gordon, but someone else mentioned that it might be a "Blue Quill". I've never claimed to know the slightest thing about entomology.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/MiddleProng3-28059.jpg

silvercreek
11-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking you are right as to it being a Quill Gordon (Epeorus). The two tails, band on the leg and the wing pattern puts it in that family. Silvercreek

Kytroutbum
11-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Grannyknot- I'm going to try to post some Wyoming stuff in a few weeks. Being gone for 5 months, I'm snowed under with "catchup jobs" esp. while weather is nice.

I agree with your observation about Quill Gordon and March Brown hatches. I think we monitor the calendars and AIR temperatures rather than water temperatures. I slipped away for a couple nice days 3rd week in April last spring and caught a lot of trout on the QG wet fly (didn't see any duns) above Elkmont CG. Below Metcalf's and just down from Abram's parking lot during the same weekend, a heavily weighed March Brown nymph bounced on the bottom took some fish. Harry Murray developed the Mr. Rapidan, I believe, to cover both hatches in SNP. I've just started to try it in the Smokies so the jury is still out. Match the sizes to the hatch.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Grannyknot
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Randall, I had heard of the Rapidan river...Chris Camuto writes extensively on it in his FFBR book, but I had never heard of the Mr. Rapidan. I might tie a few of those up, as they look simple enough (assuming you are speaking of the nymph stage pattern).

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kytroutbum
11-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally it was a Dry. A combination of both Quill Gordon and March Brown characteristics, tied Wulff style. Supposedly it has enough similar characteristics to pass for both on a mountain stream. The only variation was to be the size. I'll post the particulars of the pattern later.

A google of it will show that Harry Murray has recently, applied the name to many of the different flies he sells. I've seen an article on the "Rapidan" family of flies, etc. An attempt to published more ???.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum