PDA

View Full Version : Little River 11/10/11

Knik
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Had some time off from work this week so thought I would spend it on LR. Being new to fly flinging and wanting to practice nymphing, I made up my mind to not use a strike indicator on this trip, figure I need to learn how sooner or later. After much study on the forums about "redds" and not wanting to disturb or damage any, I focused on the heads of the pools. Learned alot and got better at drifting my rigs through the pools as the day wore on, picking up a small bow here and there. Did manage one small brown on a RL Prince though...........

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/146800x600.jpg

Later in the evening I was fishing a big pool and happened to look up at this guy across from me..............

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/156800x600.jpg

He kept checking the air and looking back ever so often, so I figured that my scent was swirling in the air currents coming off the water and messing him up. He finally made his way up the ridge and out of sight over the top. I fished there another 10 minutes and then headed back to the truck. I climbed up the bank to the road and started walking when this larger soaking wet bear comes up out of the river into the road and looks at me. Cars slow down and I stop to give him some room (30yds maybe) and then he ran up the opposite bank on his merry way. Guess this second bear was behind the first before he crossed the river, kinda answers the question as to why the first one kept looking back.
At the next pole that I stopped at was a nice brown (18"-20"?) on a redd. As soon as I saw her I stopped and eased back a little ways, but to where I could still watch. There was a small fish that kept trying to get in there, but she would have no part of it, after a few minutes I headed up stream to try the head of the pool. Managed another little bow and figured that was a good ending to a great day in the park..............

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/160800x600.jpg

Well, the day wasn't over yet. :smile: As I was driving back towards Gburg I noticed a car pulled over and the folks taking pictures at the river. When I glanced down at the river, here was this 300lb + boar right in the middle of the river shaking off. He didn't spook or run off, he just walked into the rhodo and started rubbing the heck out of a sapling. He was in the rhodo by the time I got my camera out, so no pics. :frown: That guy had great tusks though.

11/11/10 .................. = Great big goose egg. :biggrin:

Had plenty of hits, just couldn't connect. I think some of that had to do with the smaller fish just getting a "rubber leg" than the whole fly, but most was my lack of experience for sure. On the way back I decided to drive the "Motor Nature Trail" since I've never done that before and to check the water out. Right off the bat, car jam..... another bear. :rolleyes: But this guy was king! :eek: Darn thing had to be around 450lbs-500lbs. Largest I've ever seen outside of Alaska. Anyways, they've done a great job on the road all the way through to Roaring Fork and I have to say that this is a nice drive and a very nice section of the park. Will have to give it a shot in the spring.

Grannyknot
11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Great Report, Great Pictures, Very nice fish!
Thats great that you had luck nymphing with no indicator, it can be very tough. Did you see any other fishermen on the water?

Way to avoid the temptation of the Redds.

GrouseMan77
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
"Way to avoid the temptation of the Redds." - I second.

I like it! Very nice report and thanks for sharing you trips.

Payne102
11-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Great report and photos. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

ifish4wildtrout
11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Bears, boars, browns, and bows, what a day. :smile:

gmreeves
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
That was quite a day. I have only seen a couple of bears in the park and you got to see two in one day plus other wildlife. Also, I'll stand with the others about leaving that fish alone on the red. That would have been fun to watch.

Knothead
11-12-2010, 07:11 PM
smaller fish just getting a "rubber leg" than the whole fly
I used poppers with rubber legs for bluegill many years ago. I cut the legs off to keep them from dragging the popper under with just a leg in the mouth. Don't use them, FWIW. Good idea to avoid redds. My compliments to you! Good day in the park in seeing all kinds of critters. Thanks for the story and pictures.

flyguys
11-12-2010, 09:59 PM
great report, I, too, would avoid the redds. A lot of my buddys sight fish for bass while on the nest. Can't stand that! Keep the reports coming for us guys that can't get outn there that often. flyguys

Crockett
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
What's a redd?

Knik
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Grannyknot, only saw one other fisherman on Wed. but saw several out on Thurs.. Ran in to "No Hackle" and picked his brain for a few minutes and also got to meet Ethan's brother Joe on Thurs. afternoon.

One thing that did bother me though, was a worm container that I found by one of the deep pools, really didn't expect to see that in the park.

Hope I get the chance to meet more of you guys out on the streams soon. If you see a big dumb looking guy that looks like he doesn't have a clue to what he's doing, stop and say "Hey". :biggrin:

spotlight
11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
What's a redd?

Spawning Habits:
Spawning takes place from October to February for the brown trout. They return to the streams where they hatched to spawn. Their homing skills enable them to find their way upstream to spawn after many years and traveling from many miles away. Most often, brown trout choose spawning sites with gravel bottoms and highly oxygenated water flow. By whipping her tail, the female digs a shallow pit in the gravel bed of a riffle, then deposits 4,000 to 12,000 eggs into the nest, or redd. After the male deposits his milt into the pit, fertilizing the eggs, the female moves upstream to make another. While making another redd, the displaced gravel covers the eggs downstream, thus protecting them throughout the winter. The eggs develop slowly over the winter months, hatching in the spring. Both the female and the male may spawn at the same site several times. .

spotlight
11-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Like you didn't know that Adam.................

Crockett
11-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I had heard that term before but didn't know that is what it meant thanks for educatin me man.

rockytopwoolybugger
11-13-2010, 04:43 PM
really enjoyed that report. thats a good lookin' brown. that bear looks like he thought about taking a swim.

Knik
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
rockytop........... He did wade around a little bit trying to figure out how to get around that huge rock, but he couldn't. He tried several times to climb up, he would make it 15' or so and slide back down, pretty funny to watch. What amazed me was how far he could go up places that we wouldn't even be able to get a foothold on, really neat stuff to witness. Here's a few more pics. of him.......... enjoy.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/151800x600.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/153800x600.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/157800x600.jpg

Owl
11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
What's the proper leader and tippet for one of those? And more importantly, how do you get the blueberry to stay on the hook?

jeffnles1
11-15-2010, 09:13 AM
removed, posted to wrong thread. sorry.

duckypaddler
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
What's the proper leader and tippet for one of those? And more importantly, how do you get the blueberry to stay on the hook?

Matt Kulp has yet to land one, but I've heard he's had pretty good success using wire baskets full of Brookies:biggrin: