PDA

View Full Version : Next Weekend

bias5246
11-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm heading to the Gatlinburg area this weekend and will likely be fishing Saturday and Sunday. It's supposed to be fairly warm, but I understand that the water still might be a little cold. I was thinking about fishing Abrams. Is the Cades Cove loop still open? How does it fish this time of year? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Kytroutbum
11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Some suggestions to consider before you go. 1) Check to see if the Loop Road is open to Cars early on Saturday. During part of the year, its open to bikes and hikers until either 9:00 or 10:00. 2) The earlier sunset will cut into your fishing time. I would NOT plan on fishing through the 'shoes'. Consider your fishing time plus the walks in and out. It gets VERY DARK quickly in there- personal experience(:>). Every year somebody unintentionally spends the night. 3)The stream bottom is extremely slippery- the slickest I've ever seen- felts, wading stick, and a partner are in order.
Abrams is one of my favorite streams but this time of the year, I would probably opt for another stream.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

2weightfavorite
11-14-2010, 04:37 PM
The water at Abrams would probably be a tad warmer than other streams, however, I would fish the Little River up between metcalf bottoms and elkmont. The fishing has been good, and you have the chance to find a good size brown on the prowl.. I would focus on the larger pools if you go up the Little River..

bias5246
11-14-2010, 06:05 PM
2weight-

I've fished the Little River at Elkmont...walking up the Little River Trail. Is this the section of the river you're referring to? I'm not too horribly familiar with the area.

Kytroutbum--

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I think we'll probably just go elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Tarheelflyfishing
11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
bias5246,

Metcalf refers to Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area in the Park located along Little River Rd. Elkmont is the campground upstream from Metcalf. Excellent area! Great fishing and easy access. Metcalf is about 12 miles from Gatlinburg, so it's not far away at all.

Good luck!

Tyler

2weightfavorite
11-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I would just drive up little river road, out of townsend into the mountains. go left at the Y. Once you pass metcalf bottoms picinic area (it will be on the left) I would start stopping at some of the bigger pools. I would do that all the way to the elkmont campground. I fished above elkomnt up the trail on monday. We caught alot of fish and had alot of fun, however the next time I go back Im hitting the bigger holes lower on the river. The bigger holes arent always productive all year, but now is when they really seem to be the ticket..

Kytroutbum
11-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Watch the water temperatures, I'd probably try Metcalf's toward Elkmont with a nymph bouncing on the bottom. If it is overcast, you could try a streamer for those Browns. I'd carry a thermometer as water temp.s is a big factor. Areas above Elkmont , and others, that produced fish a few weeks ago, most likely have slowed down as the water temp drops.
The fishing report suggestions, time of day and methods, are right on. Just plan on enjoying being on the water, a few fish caught are an added treat.

As far as Abrams, I'd not fish the horseshoes, or down far, till late spring. Always allow plenty of daylight time. I walked out one night with a penlight it was no fun, I almost decided to spent the night. Once you get into some areas your committed the stream.

I think you might have emailed about hiking into the Lamar last spring after I left. I had very spotty email out there- usually only the Library when I went into Cody- 80 miles away- about every two weeks. It was one heck of a summer out there. Grizzly sows with cubs everywhere. I didn't get to fish some of my favorite water due to them. After talking to the Forest Service folks who where in the Soda Butte Campground hours after the 3 attacks, I traded my pop-up for a hard sided trailer right after I got home. I'm hoping to go back this coming summer.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

bias5246
11-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Kytroutbum--
Thanks for the info. I traveled to Yellowstone this summer and had a blast. We fished the Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough, parts of the Gibbon, and parts of the Snake. We caught tons of fish...and some nice ones, too! We saw a few bears...and I saw the Slough pack of wolves. It was an awesome trip!

I'll try the Little River next weekend. I'll let you know how I do.