PDA

View Full Version : Walter Babb - Perfect 10 Southern Charms (1-3)

Grannyknot
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Mr. Babb wrote a great article in the March 2004 issue of American Angler on his 10 favorite flies for southern Appalachian streams entitled "The Perfect 10 Southern Charms". It gave a brief history for each fly and some personal notes, along with a recipe. I've decided to spend the winter trying to learn these. I've substituted a little in his recipe, but other than that, please give me critiques and criticisms to help me along my way. Here are the first 3 attempts:

The Speck
Hook: #14 Partridge Capt Hamilton Dry
Thread: Tan Uni 8/0
Tail: Coachmen Brown Hackle Fibers
Body: Spun Deer Hair
Hackle: Brown & Olive Chinese Strung

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/DSCN2434.jpg

George Nymph
Hook: #10 Dry Fly Hook
Thread: Black Uni 8/0
Weight: .025 Wrap
Tail: Pheasant Tail Barbs
Back: Pheasant Tail Doubled
Body: 3 Strands Peacock Herl
Wingcase: White Marabou
Thorax: Possum Plus Dubbing
Legs: Pheasant Tail Barbs

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/DSCN2432.jpg

Blackburn Tellico Nymph
Hook: 3X-long #10 Nymph
Thread: Dark Brown 3/0
Weight: .025 Wire wrap
Tail: Pheasant Tail
Back: Pheasant Tail Doubled
Rib: 2 Strands Peacock Herl
Body: Yellow Enhancer Dub
Hackle: Coachman Brown

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/DSCN2435.jpg

flyman
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Those look pretty good Granny:smile:

Grannyknot
11-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Those look pretty good Granny:smile:

Thanks Steve....I know they'll never be perfect. :biggrin:
I've probably spent more time learning the George Nymph than any of them.
The Speck was my first time spinning deer hair.
I get a little confused on the Blackburn, because Walter mentions palmering the hackle through the thorax, but I can't figure out exactly what he is instructing us to do.

I had saved up some money in hopes of taking the classes he is doing, so that I could ask him specific questions, but my wife and I had a little financial set-back a few weeks ago, and had to get into my savings. :frown:

tire guy
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Think like a trout......................ummm yummy!
That is all that matters.

flyman
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Grannyknot,
If you can't take his class, be sure to catch him at Troutfest. He ties all those flies and then some. I had heard about Walter for years, but after watching Walter tie 4 or 5 years ago at Troutfest I told everyone I knew about him. He is a walking history book on these type of flies, and he is as good as any I have ever seen tying them. Walter really is a master fly tyer, and maybe an even better person. I would drive all the way to Troutfest just to see Walter tie:smile:

Your Tellico looks fine. Just make 3 or 4 evenly spaced wraps thru the thorax and pull over the shellback. Walter does use a little different dubbing for the body, but I'll let you and him talk about that.

GrouseMan77
11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I especially like the george nymph. Fine looking flies Granny.

Owl
12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
They look like fine trout catchers to me. Nice work.

flyman
12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
When are you going to do some of he others Granny? Walter told me that Eddie used the white yarn as a type of initiator. He said if he couldn't see it any more he knew a fish had taken it, and it was time to set the hook.:smile:

Grannyknot
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
When are you going to do some of he others Granny? Walter told me that Eddie used the white yarn as a type of initiator. He said if he couldn't see it any more he knew a fish had taken it, and it was time to set the hook.:smile:

Well, I seem to be short on the materials to tie the rest of them. I ran out of brown hackle so I went to LRO the other day, but they were all out of whiting in the size I needed.

Eddy must have had better eyes than me. :smile:

flybum62
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I had the pleasure of fishing with Walter Babb several years ago. What a man, I learned so much from the man about fishing.

spotlight
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Beautiful work there!

jeffnles1
12-31-2010, 01:36 PM
I know they'll never be perfect

First, they look pretty darn good to me. However, my flies are examples that a fly does not need to be perfect in order to catch fish.

To the best of my knowledge, the overwhelming majority of fish caught on a fly were done so using a bunch of feathers and/or other material tied to a big wire with a sharp pointy thing hanging off the back (or above the back in some styles).

Given that the fish don't notice a big pointy hunk of wire sticking out of the bug they're about to eat tells me they're not quite as picky as we fly fishermen and fly tiers are.:biggrin:

I took the advanced fly tying class at LRO a couple years back and we tied the Telico, George's, and the Spec. I have caught fish on all 3 of these flies both in the Smoky Mtns and other streams.

The Telico and George's Nymphs are bluegill killers by the way.;)

Again, very nice looking flies. I'm sure the trout will see them as candy.

Jeff

GrouseMan77
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Granny, thanks for the heads up on the Sally Hansen! Really helped out with the shellbacks on my Tellicos. I almost think that I like using ph for the shellback rather than turkey. I'll try to post a pic after dinner.

BTW, I didn't make it to LRO today. Hazel had a vet appointment this morning that didn't go too well and I decided to sit at the house with her.

Grannyknot
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Granny, thanks for the heads up on the Sally Hansen! Really helped out with the shellbacks on my Tellicos. I almost think that I like using ph for the shellback rather than turkey. I'll try to post a pic after dinner.

BTW, I didn't make it to LRO today. Hazel had a vet appointment this morning that didn't go too well and I decided to sit at the house with her.

Glad it worked out.
I'm always happy to share my nail-care secrets. :p

I hope Hazel is doing ok. I'll probably swing by this weekend to see if they have any more 2011 boots on display. I can grab the hackle then.

GrouseMan77
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I hope Hazel is doing ok.

My wallet took a big hit this morning but as long as she is fine I don't care.

I'm still having a little bit of a problem getting the shellback to cover like I want. It seems like I'm loosing a bit when I tighten down on the tail. I'll get it figured out.

Figured that I would post a couple fly pics. I can't take a decent picture of a fly.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5202/5328426417_249d55e62e.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5328426157_93847d1d09.jpg

Grannyknot
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm still having a little bit of a problem getting the shellback to cover like I want. It seems like I'm loosing a bit when I tighten down on the tail. I'll get it figured out.

That Blackburn looks great by my standards. One question...are you using a continual run of barbules for the tail and shellback?

GrouseMan77
01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
That Blackburn looks great by my standards. One question...are you using a continual run of barbules for the tail and shellback?

Thanks for the compliment. I have tried it both ways and I like the continual run better.