PDA

View Full Version : Hydros rod

Stonefly
11-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking about a new 9' 4-weight. Any opinions on the Hydros w/tip flex?

steve

Grumpy
11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
It will be my next 4 weight, i had the 9 & 10' Helios rods, sold them because i just enjoy fishing my T3's more.
The Hydros reminds me of the T3's a little.
Have you had the chance to cast one?

Grumpy

Rainbow Warrior
11-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a hydros 5-wt. and absolutely love it. It casts great and is good for delicately delivering flies. I have never tried the 4-wt. version, but I don't think it would be a lot different. Probably a little lighter and would flex easier.

Stonefly
11-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I haven't cast one, and that's what's holding me back. Anyone able to compare/contrast to the action of the BIIx ? I love that rod but I don't want to spend that much $$.

steve

Grumpy
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
The Hydros has a stiffer tip & butt section than the B2, the mid flex would also be a tad bit stiffer.
The BIIX rods that i have fished & cast just didn't have the "umphhh" to push nymphs & indicators in the wind, i guess that's why they introduced the MX series.

Grumpy

donwinn
11-30-2010, 08:10 PM
How are you doing? Are you sure it is not the caster rather than the rod that causes that issue in the wind? I have both a BIIx and the MX. I made a mistake and grabed the BIIx when fishing the Yellowstone this fall. It is a good thing I was in a drift boat and did not have to cast too far. The wind was tough, and I did wish I had the MX. I still think the caster has a lot to do with it though. Need a lesson?

I know you have no idea who this is, but I will try to get by and see you this week sometime - as long as you understand I am just kidding. I don't want you to cast me.

Grumpy
11-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Don

I'm always open to tips, remembering them is the hard part.:redface:

Grumpy