PDA

View Full Version : Holston at Nances Ferry

2weightfavorite
12-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I was ust wondering if anyone has fished it lately? If so how was it? Did TWRA stock well this fall with the high water flows and rain we've had?

pineman19
12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
2weight,

I haven't fished the Holston at Nances since April. It's only about 20 minutes from my door. I'll give it a try this weekend if the weather is decent. You may want to check out Hugh Hartsells site since that is his home water.

Neal

1fish
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Would you be kind enough to post the address for Hugh's site.. Thanks

Hugh Hartsell
12-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Good afternoon guys,
I have fished Nances Ferry 3 times recently and I watched another fellow fish there also. I did not get a strike on any of my attempts, and he did not either. The water was running somewhat and that can put the fish down in this river. There sure are fish in other parts of the river and I'm not sure just what is going on down there. It has been extremely hard to catch that section of the river when there is not some water running. To be sure about fish, just try a little farther up the river.
Hugh

Grannyknot
12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Good to hear from you Hugh. Hope you can find time to check in more often. I've enjoyed the updates to your website.

Stay warm,
Cody

Hugh Hartsell
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Thank you Cody, and to everyone who visits the site. I just placed a new fly tying video on the website and I hope that it adds a little bit more to anyone's day to see the Fly Tying segements during the winter season. Maybe if anyone has a fly that they would like to see tied you can let me know. I need a lot of practice with the camcorder.
Hugh

2weightfavorite
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I know there is an access just up river from the ferry at the campground on india cave rd, however, other than that where can one access the river publicly?

2weightfavorite
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
So I did some searching of old posts, and I found some about fishing below the dam, and at the quarry. From what I understand the fishing is good at the shoals aboput a mile below the dam and there is a good path. As far as thequarry goes, where in the world is it? Ive never seen it, and is it truly public?

GrouseMan77
12-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Mr. Hartsell, great job with the tying videos. I also really enjoy your tutorials.

CinciVol
12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
The quarry is just across the river from the shoals located downstresm from the dam. In other words, you can park at the dam and walk about a mile downstream to the shoals or park at the quarry. I have never parked at the quarry and since it is private property you would have to gain permission to park there. I've always walked down from the dam. It's a good way to warm up during the winter.

MadisonBoats
12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Thank you Cody, and to everyone who visits the site. I just placed a new fly tying video on the website and I hope that it adds a little bit more to anyone's day to see the Fly Tying segements during the winter season. Maybe if anyone has a fly that they would like to see tied you can let me know. I need a lot of practice with the camcorder.
Hugh

Mr. Hartsell,
Glad you posted a reply! I love your patterns and appreciate all of the helpful information you share with us on your website. You are one of the most knowledgeable and friendly people I have met on the Web...

Thanks bud and I appreciate your help and guidance!:smile:

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Hugh Hartsell
12-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Thank you guys, for all the kind words and thoughts that each of you have expressed through the year. It sure is nice to still be alive and to be able to get out on the stream with other people as well as to be able to join in with every one on the board. Let me wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a great New Year. My little gift to you all will be to get new videos online showing how to tie different patterns and maybe some trips on the water. I hope to run into some of you.
Hugh

Corbo
12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Several weeks ago I travelled across the bridge at buffalo springs at the waterfall and headed toward the river; I crossed a second bridge over buffalo creek and then saw the river.... has anyone ever tried parking down that way? I saw a vacant lot that looked like no one might mind if you tresspassed but for all I know your vehicle would get towed or the tires flattened.

I moved down here from Maine were access laws are much different..... essentially you can tresspass through any property to reach a public river.

It is a great shame that there is limited access throughout this tailwater. In Maine I petitioned the FERC and "intervened" in the licensing of a great many dams for TU and we made an "argument" that a dams owners responsibilities are not confined to the impoundment or the immediate water below the dam in terms of creating acess after a "taking" has ocurred (essentially the river was turned into a lake and thus the riverine reacreational opportunities diminished). The dam owners were very helpful in purchasing down river sites for parking and public access.

I like big rivers and this one is beautiful and while I own a jet boat I'm a bity nervous about running this place at no generation.

pineman19
12-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Corbo,

Were you heading downstream or upstream. If you were heading downstream I think I know where you were, been bye there once when the water was higher, seemed like a slow, deep section of the river, not suitable for wading. I guess I am not a risk taker when it comes to using private property for river access. Just not willing to risk having a problem with a landowner and I do believe in private property rights.

Neal

Corbo
12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Neal; my thought was to park near the lower bridge on buffalo stream and then walk down to the river. As they were generating I could not tell how deep the water might be a low flow.

There seems to be a lot of good looking water off the Good hope church road on the jefferson county side.... often the road is so close to the river it seems like you could just park next to road and walk 50 feet to the river..... but this is seemingly illegal and I could see why a landowner wuld not want people parking and tresspassing due to all the litter that gets left behind.

I don't want to slam those who spin or baitfish but they leave a huge amount of litter and they are generally disrespectful of bankside vegetation.

Considering the TWRA stocking expense for this tailwater (and so many others) it seems that a grassroots effort in cooperation with TWRA, TVA etc. could be put together to secure more access sites to launch wade.

Hugh Hartsell
12-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Corbo,
I'm going to try to give some advise to both things that you have posted about in regard to the Holston River. First, about putting your boat in at the launch ramp at the dam and floating downstream to the first shoals. My advise is to not try that since your chances of getting damage are pretty high in low flow conditions. Second, you are really taking a risk by walking across someones property down at the mouth of Buffalo Creek. You can get around this real easily by just knocking on some doors and asking permission to fish. Most people on this river are pretty accommadating if you will just ask first. Most of the people who own land in those fields do not live there. Just ask around and find out who the owners are and you will get good results. Good luck on the stream.
Hugh

Corbo
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Hugh; thanks for the advice. I beleive that I have read your entire website over the last couple years.... it is obvious you love this tailwater and know it well. It's about 40 miles from my home in Seymour to nance's ferry so I hope I get to fish there often. I enjoy bigger rivers with fewer people on them. Been to the Soho a couple times and I felt like I was at a mini golf place in Pigeon Forge!

Above the nance's launch site there is a meadow; do folks mind if you walk through the meadow to go up river?

Hugh Hartsell
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Corbo,
Thanks for the looking over the website and I hope you can glean some information from it through the year.
The only thing that I have ever heard the owner say is that he likes for people to stay close to the edge of the field and not get out into the grass and wade down the new hay that is growing. It should not be a problem. Good luck down there.
Hugh

pineman19
12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Hugh; thanks for the advice. I beleive that I have read your entire website over the last couple years.... it is obvious you love this tailwater and know it well. It's about 40 miles from my home in Seymour to nance's ferry so I hope I get to fish there often. I enjoy bigger rivers with fewer people on them. Been to the Soho a couple times and I felt like I was at a mini golf place in Pigeon Forge!

Above the nance's launch site there is a meadow; do folks mind if you walk through the meadow to go up river?

There is a path along the edge of the field (river side), stay on there and you'll be okay. You can wade upstream from the landing as well when the water is lower. Let me know when you wanna meet sometime and we'll head that way. Nances Ferry is around 20 minutes from my driveway and I haven't fished it since mid-summer. Took a break on that area for a while. Ready to hit again, maybe in the morning if it's not raining too bad.

Neal

Corbo
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Neal; I will surely get in touch with you when I can fish again. When I saw you last summer (when you nearly got swallowed up by the ex-wife) I was walking pretty well on my re-built foot. Since then I have had two back surgeries (#4 & #5) and about 4 weeks ago a horrible bone infection blew out a bunch of tissue in the re-built foot....

For now I'm fishing VICARIOUSLY through you guys on the web as I'm hitched to an IV 24/7 till Feb. and have a large wound that needs to close up. The good news is that I still have the foot... it was a very close call and I was blessed to have a doc who would do emergency surgery to save it even though it doesn't work very well.

Cannot imagine how I could wade fish with one real foot and one fake one???

tennswede
01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
This is a true story to lift anyone's spirit. About five or six years ago, a friend of mine and I went up to the mouth of Buck Fork to fish. We were the only ones on the stream. For all of you who know how rough that terrain is, you will enjoy this. After fishing at the mouth and for a short stretch down we decided to hike back down to the turnaround. About halfway down we ran in to this guy. He had an old nice Shakespeare Wonderrod and to top it off an artificial leg of some sort. I still can't believe he had made it up this far. There's no real trail and most people walk the creek bed. You all know how hard it is with two good legs to hike the streambead, let alone with one fake leg. Anyway, I will never forget that day as it taught me that if there's a will there's a way kind of thing.

fishingman62
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
hey guys i just moved from crossville to fountain city what area names should i use to mapquest directions to accsess places to fish the holsten i will be wading most of the time..how does it fish during the winter months.....thaxs
dan

pineman19
01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I pasted a link to the TWRA map of Holston Tailwater. The Holston fishes well in winter, midges will be the major hatches until April-May when the caddis start coming off. You need to access Nances Ferry from the Blaine area. A delorme atlas is the best way to navigate around the backcoutry roads. Never tried mapquest, but if you have a delorme you shouldn't have any trouble getting around.

Neal

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutpdf/Cherokee_Lake_Tailwater_and_Buffalo_Creek.pdf

fishingman62
01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
thaxs neal will check into the atlas
dan