PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to fish in 2011

cardfly
12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
OK,

Where, in the Smokies, do you want to fish in 2011? Your favorite spot or somewhere new?

Names of streams can be changed to protect the innocent.;)

David Knapp
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I want to finally make it to the Fontana tribs such as Hazel, Eagle, and Forney...:biggrin:

jeffnles1
12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd like to hit Sam's Creek. It seems every time I start to head up that way, I pass so much great water that by the time I get up the trail, it's too late and turn back.

I'd like to give roaring fork a shot, I've never fished that stream.

Porter's Creek is always on the agenda as is Walker's Camp, WPLP, and Middle Fork of the Little River.

I haven't fished up Elkmont for a year or so either.

So many great streams with such wonderful water and so little time to enjoy them all.

I think a person could spend a lifetime fishing the Smoky's and when it's all over be thinking there's that one stream I always wanted to fish but never made it.:smile:

Hopefully, if the Lord lets me live long enough, I can retire from my high stress office job and spend what days I have left tromping around in those mountains and fishing her streams.

Jeff

Flyjunkie
12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd like to do the horseshoe at Abrams. Also, if the rivers are blown out, I'd love to hit Jake's creek again, especially since I now have a 7' 3wt. (last time I used a 9' 5/6wt.).

rivergal
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I like to fish at Tremont along the gravel road.

Jack
12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I want to make a five day trip down Deep Creek. Just need someone to go with me. My other half won't let me do it alone. Any takers?

nvr2L8
12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Roaring Fork - never been and it was tied up with road work all of 2010.

jeffnles1
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Roaring Fork - never been and it was tied up with road work all of 2010.

Charlie,
Hopefully there will be a day we can meet up on Roaring Fork. Daniel and I would love to share a stream with you sometime.
Jeff

David Knapp
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I want to make a five day trip down Deep Creek. Just need someone to go with me. My other half won't let me do it alone. Any takers?

I might would be interested in a trip like that...:cool:

Jack
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Plateau Angler, great. I was thinking of doing it sometime in June. I'm a little older than most of you guys but in great shape. Thought about starting at the Newfound Gap trailhead and going all the way to Bryson City moving the camp every couple of days. Nothing written in stone on that just ome random thoughts. I'll be in townsend on the 29th for a day, then headed home to MS. Got lots of time to plan so let me know what you think.

Rainbow Warrior
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I would like to fish the Fontana tributaries as well. I am still in search of my first wild brookie, so where ever I could do this would work too. I would also like to hike up Snowbird and fish there.

Flyjunkie
12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
If you're after brookies, I'd suggest hiking up the Chimney's trail to the 3rd or 4th bridge and work your way up. I did this this summer and all I caught were brookies. Though most were 4 -5", I did catch one at 8". Be ready for some climbing though, it is fairly steep but absolutely beautiful and well worth the effort.

Also, Ramsey's Cascades above Greenbrier is suppossedly largely brookie territory.

David Knapp
12-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Jack, shoot me an email or something and we can talk about it. I won't really know what my summer plans are yet for at least 2-3 months. If I'm not busy then I'm definitely interested. Deep Creek is one of my favorites!

Speckleman5
12-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I wanna do another 2 week trip down Hazel. With less people and more time at 82 and higher.

pineman19
12-23-2010, 10:52 PM
The Cataloochee drainage is on my list, Palmer Creek, Pretty Hollow, etc. I would also like to fish the main stream more during the spring. I also want to get back on Deep Creek, around 58 and 59 is very nice water, and upstream of there as well. I have hiked down from Newfound Gap to the brookie water, but haven't fished between 58 and the highest campsite.

As far as outside of the Smokies, I would like to explore some of the wild trout streams in the Pisgah National Forest. The Shining Rock area in particular.

Neal

12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I live 9 hours away but am much traveled in the Smokies. I would dearly love to fish the Abrams Creek horseshoe but the best advice says not to fish it alone, especially the first time.
I would also like to fish Hazel. Going down Deep Creek is also appealing (the key word here is down ). I have hiking and backpacking experince.
Would welcome a trip with any of you if it could be arranged.

spotlight
12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Plateau Angler, great. I was thinking of doing it sometime in June. I'm a little older than most of you guys but in great shape. Thought about starting at the Newfound Gap trailhead and going all the way to Bryson City moving the camp every couple of days. Nothing written in stone on that just ome random thoughts. I'll be in townsend on the 29th for a day, then headed home to MS. Got lots of time to plan so let me know what you think.

Jack shoot me an e-mail I can get out for 3 days at a time and Deep Creek is one of my favs...David I hope I get a chance to fish with you this Spring or at least watch maybe we can do a night at #24

flyman
12-24-2010, 12:25 AM
I'll know more after this thread has run it's course:biggrin:

Speckleman5
12-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Hahahaha. I love it.

Crockett
12-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I would like to fish Forney Creek specifically the 3rd bend on the right of the trail up from cs #... just kidding flyman. Seriously I would love to hit Forney this year haven't ever been on that one but have a feeling it may be good fishin.

cardfly
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Flyman, now you know that could never be the reason that I started this thread, right? I mean how bad would that be.;)

Keep them coming everyone...

Knothead
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
The Horseshoe on Abrams Creek, Sams Creek, MP/Tremont, and any stream that has brookies in it! Hopefully, I'll have time to fish the park more this year. Question, why do they recommend not to fish the Horseshoe alone? I fish alone 98% of the time.

pineman19
12-24-2010, 11:21 AM
John,

Abrams is the slickest stream in the Park, no other stream is close IMO. Abrams has a ledge rock bottom, contributes to the slickness. It is nearly impossible to get out of the Horseshoe if somehow you were hurt before you came to the end. I only fished it once, with Hans, and it's a beautiful section of water. The smaller shoe is supposed to be great as well and takes less time to fish.

Neal

Crockett
12-24-2010, 11:56 AM
John,

Abrams is the slickest stream in the Park, no other stream is close IMO. Abrams has a ledge rock bottom, contributes to the slickness. It is nearly impossible to get out of the Horseshoe if somehow you were hurt before you came to the end. I only fished it once, with Hans, and it's a beautiful section of water. The smaller shoe is supposed to be great as well and takes less time to fish.

Neal

Neal I fished Abrams this fall starting down "towards" the horeshoe but not in it and fished back up to the trail head. I was surprised at how many horny heads were in that water. Some pools I could see hundreds of them in the pool and some great big ones. I guess cause the elevation is so low they are much more prevelant there. I caught as many if not more or those guys than I did trout. I did catch a nice rainbow in there so I would do it again (maybe but not high on my list). I was kind of dissappointed about all the chub hatch. I would bet that going lower in elevation aka the shoe would be even more full of them but thats just a guess.

BlueRaiderFan
12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Abrams.......

ahighlan
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Tremont, Cataloochee, and Elmont above the campground.

duckypaddler
12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Let's see!

For 2011 - Here's my list - Freddy I hope your ready! Anyone else who likes crawling through rhodo is welcome to join me.

One's I haven't done but want to do this year

Enloe
Left & Right Fork Raven Fork
Eagle Rocks
Chapman (fished bottom already but want to go up higher)
Lost
Upper Ramsey's (above cascade)
Chasm (want to see that **** airplane engine)
Shut-in
Thunderhead (up high, I've fished the bottom)
Bucheye Gap Prong
Silers Creek
Edens Garden
Devil Nest
Long Cove
Bee Cove

And a few I will be sure to make it back to.

Raven Fork Gorges
Buck Fork
Starkey

From the looks of everyone else's list, I may just find solitude yet.:biggrin:

Bran
12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
My main objective is goign to be to catch a Brown so I guess I'll be on LR and maybe the NC side a bit but I've definately got to hit the Chimneys trail again and on up Road Prong.
You guys that were interested in Roaring Fork I'd love to get in on that with you also. I've fished it several times in the last 2 years and really enjoyed it.

Heavynets
12-25-2010, 11:16 AM
The Madison, Yellowstone, Bighorn and North Platte for trout and Lake Michigan for smallmouth and carp.

If I get lucky I'll make it to the upper Sac, McCloud and Trinity.

Mac
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Let's see!

For 2011 - Here's my list - Freddy I hope your ready! Anyone else who likes crawling through rhodo is welcome to join me.

Enloe
Eagle Rocks
Lost
Shut-in
Bucheye Gap Prong
Silers Creek
Edens Garden
Devil Nest
Long Cove
Bee Cove

Raven Fork Gorges
Buck Fork
Starkey

I think i will just use Duckypaddler list, Has just about everything I was thinking for 2011. Only additions would be Left Fork (upper and Lower Sections) and Right forks of Deep Creek. :cool:

JoeFred
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Two that come to mind... Bradley Fork & Straight Fork.

JF

BlueRaiderFan
12-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I've fished a bit of Bradley fork. Skinny water in spots but plenty of little bows for the first bit. Not sure after that...Not hard to access either.

lexfly
12-28-2010, 12:16 PM
If I can only pick one it would be Raven Fork, but really anywhere back of the beyond is fine with me.

joe a
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Let's see!

Enloe
Eagle Rocks
Lost
Shut-in
Bucheye Gap Prong
Silers Creek
Edens Garden
Devil Nest
Long Cove
Bee Cove

Raven Fork Gorges
Buck Fork
Starkey

Ducky,

A friend of mine backed out of a trip I had planned in August. Would you be interested in a few day trip knocking of one of the more ambitious streams on your list?

-Joe

fourx
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Silver Creek in ID. Big Lost in ID. Lower Jefferson in MT for big browns. Hypothetically, Kamchatka.
But, I'll probably end up trying to catch large trout with small flies and light tippet in beautiful E Tennessee though.

4X

4X