PDA

View Full Version : high fence in cades cove

2weightfavorite
12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I noticed a high fence tucked in the woods the other day when fishing Abrams Creek. It is about a half mile maybe 3/4 mile up the spring creek from the trailhead. Has anyone else seen this high fence, and what in the world is it for? Id say its probably 12 feet high, and surrounds quite a large area of land. Next time I go Im going to walk to it and go around the perimeter a bit.

narcodog
12-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I noticed it about 10 years ago. It must have been for herding deer years ago.

gutshot
12-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Waste water treatment area?

Knothead
12-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Holding pen for the wolves?

Hugh Hartsell
12-25-2010, 04:13 PM
2weight,
I may be wrong but you may possibly be talking about the fenced area that was used to introduce the Red Wolf into Cades Cove several years ago.
Hugh

BlueRaiderFan
12-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Did they survive.

duckypaddler
12-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Did they survive.

No, they bred with coyotes and got parvo and died:frown:

Crockett
12-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I have walked that section and noticed a wire fence in the same area but it was only about 6 feet high. It was a fenced off area to protect part of the "wet bottoms" area from wild hogs according to the signs posted on the fence. I have seen those same fences in several spots including just south of Andrews Bald and Gum Swamp past the forge creek turn off on the left.

It seems park biologists fence off little sections of maybe an acre or two then check back from time to time and see how the plants, grasses, etc in the fenced in area differ from the adjoining non-fenced areas where the hogs eat the flowers and route up the plants.

Knothead
12-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I was told that some of the wolves were hit by cars and the last one wasn't too bright- drank antifreeze in one of the parking lots. Either way, a waste of money, IMHO.

gmreeves
12-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I'd like to see the red wolves make a come back. Christopher Camuto read a decent book on the introduction of the wolves as well as the history of the Cherokee. I can't remember the name of the book but it made me want to search for the wolves back when they were still thought to be around. I hadn't heard the bread with coyotes and got parvo thing.

pineman19
12-28-2010, 12:33 AM
gmreeves,

The book is titled Another Country. The biggest issue from what I have read is that the Park was too small for the wolves wide ranging needs. Their demise had nothing to do with stupidity, it was more due to the roads, highways and communities that surround the Park. The Park also lacks early successional habitat, which leads to less small animals, deer and rodents for wolves to eat. Wolves aren't near as adaptable to humans and their influences as coyotes, which intermingle in suburbs, etc. I understand the red wolves are doing better in western carolina, where there is a much larger area of contiguous forest than the Park. Probably less anti freeze available for their consumption and less vehicles to mow them over.

Also, around 7-8 yrs ago I found a red wolf reintroduction sign while exploring the lower section of Sams Creek. This was before the opened the stream up for fishing. Used to be able to hike in that area and hardly see a soul except diehard hikers on the Defeat Ridge Manway. Not being negative, but I enjoyed that area a lot more before they opened it up to fishing for specs to the masses.

Neal

pineman19
12-28-2010, 12:40 AM
gmreeves,

Below is a link to the red wolf reintroduction project in NC.

http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/

Neal