PDA

View Full Version : Wilson creek area road info

fishhead
12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
have the next couple of days off, was wondering if anyone has update on road conditions in Wilson Creek area ?
thanks Fishhead

flyman
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Once you get off the paved roads in that area you can expect problems. I would want a high clearance 4X4. Most Forest Service gravel roads will have some snow and ice, and you can expect wash outs from heavy winter rains as well.

Fish the new DH section, it is fishing good and still has good access.

MBB
12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Once you get off the paved roads in that area you can expect problems. I would want a high clearance 4X4. Most Forest Service gravel roads will have some snow and ice, and you can expect wash outs from heavy winter rains as well.

Fish the new DH section, it is fishing good and still has good access.

Ditto. There are many, many miles of rough dirt road in that area, so be very careful. Once I was fishing on Labor Day weekend in September of 1987 on North Harper and it started to pour. I saw the creek rise before my eyes like a tailwater. My uncle and I got out of there pronto and the roads turned to mud and then to quicksand. We barely made it out of there, slipping and slidding with increasing momentum. I believe 8-10 inches of rain fell that weekend and as I recall a couple of boy scouts drowned in the deluge.

fishhead
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Fished Wilson area on 12/30, main roads were in very good conditions, more muddy than icy. the smaller roads were still to much for my little 2wd S-10. fished the DH section. many of the larger deep holes were frozen over. did manage about 20 or so stockers from a few open places.
beautiful day to be outside... me and the dog have had cabin fever anyway.
tight lines
Fishhead