PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on new reel

DBKSTONE2
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I finally got to unwrap the G.Loom NRX 5 wt and now I am looking to put a NICE reel on the thing. I have been struggling with this since Christmas morning. I have never owned a really nice real so my experience is none with a quality piece of reel equipment (I don't think Hobb's Creek qualifies as a quality piece :biggrin:)

I have looked at Galvans, Hatch, Bauer, Lamson, and some Ross. I am very confused. I am "locked up" so I need some feedback on this.

I want something that is bullet proof when it comes to durability. I want a high quality drag, a good warranty, and something that looks good. My price range is $300-$750.

I do like the looks of the Galvan Spoke reels and the Hatchs but looks are not the most important by no stretch of the imagination. The Lamson Vanquish looks SWEEEEET as well.

So I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give would be great. I need the help and if I am going to plop some money down then I want a good reel.

Thanks,

DBK

Heavynets
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Personally, I've never found the drag to be very important on anything below an 8 wt. So I cringe at spending that kind of money on the least important item in a fly fishing setup. However, I totally understand and concur with your standards. I too have always admire real quality in all mechanical things. And to diminish a Loomis with a "cheap" real would be akin to sacrilegious.

I like Abel, Bauer and Ross reels. But most any reel in that price range (especially the upper end) should be excellent.

Knothead
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I have always heard that you should put some line on the reel and give a quick pull to check the startup on the drag. Fly Fish America magazine has some great reviews of reels. You might try their website, http://www.FlyFishAmerica.com. One issue had a Hardy titanium saltwater reel for $8 grand! I didn't pay that much for my van!

jeffnles1
12-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I really like Ross reels. I have 3 or 4 Rhythms (now discontinued), and a couple Evolutions (replaced with the Evolution LT).

while I don't beat or abuse my equipment, I'm by no meas gentle with it either. It's made to use and I fish pretty hard during the summer months. My oldest Rhythm is on it's 4th season and still looks and functions like new. I fell last summer with one of the Evolutions on my rod and the reel landed right on a big rock in the West Prong of the Pigeon River. It was a pretty nasty fall. The reel has a couple scratches and one pretty good ding, but the frame or spool didn't bend and it functions perfectly. A little battle scarred but works fine.

My son has one of the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbors and it's also a good reel that is sturdy and well built.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

flyman
12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
All those are quality reels, I might add a Hardy or Able to the list.:biggrin: Check how much the reels weight, are they easy to convert from left hand to right hand wind, type of finish, and the cost of extra spools. In the price range you are looking at, you don't have much to worry about.:smile:

billyspey
12-31-2010, 09:19 AM
i have that same rod , best 5 wt. that i have ever owned, including z axis, xp, glx, as for reels it needs to be black so i put a Abel super 4 with a SA gpx line. Abel has closed out the super 4,5, found a deal on a new one for less than $300.

JoelO
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a couple of Galvan OB reels...love them. Their drag is smooth and quiet...at least it was for the few fish I've had on that tested it. :smile: If you're a fan of the sound made by the Orvis click drag system, you won't like the Galvans as much...they (the Galvans) are much quieter. The Spoke is a great looking reel.

DBKSTONE2
01-01-2011, 11:09 PM
i have that same rod , best 5 wt. that i have ever owned, including z axis, xp, glx, as for reels it needs to be black so i put a Abel super 4 with a SA gpx line. Abel has closed out the super 4,5, found a deal on a new one for less than $300.

I am sold on the super 5 if I can get if for around $300. I was only able to find it for $430. if you can send me the website or location then I will be picking that up. I can find it on Abels website for the $430 but somewhere in the $300 range would be SWEEET!

thanks,
DBK

Heavynets
01-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Here is a Super 4 for $300.

http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/onlineshop-fly_reels-abel_reels-super_series

The Principal
01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I like the Orvis Mid Arbor Reels, but I read somewhere that Orvis is discontinuing them. Has anyone else heard this? I also read that they are discontinuing the Batten Kill Bar Stock trout reels.

Elk riverrat
01-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Nautilus FWX

billyspey
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Nautilus FWX

foot to big doesn't fit reel seat

kentuckytroutbum
01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
I agree with The Principle, in that mid-arbor size reels are great. Two years ago, when my wife & I were in Maine, we went to the LL.Bean main store, and I bought a Double L mid arbor, and I have been happy with it. Its been stepped on,dropped, soaked, frozen and it always worked. The drag is infinitely adjustable. The mid arbors will retrieve line faster that the "normal" size. Also, the weight of mid arbor balances my 9 ft, 6 wt. rod right at where I grip the rod, so it feels "lighter" to me.

Any future reel will be a mid-arbor size.

Bill

Stonefly
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the Orvis Mid Arbor Reels, but I read somewhere that Orvis is discontinuing them. Has anyone else heard this? I also read that they are discontinuing the Batten Kill Bar Stock trout reels.

What I read was that Orvis is discontinuing those models and replacing them with lighter reels.

I have several of the BBS and Mid Arbors, and one Large Arbor. The LA is lighter than a corresponding MA. I like the MA's but they're surprisingly heavy.

Steve

ChemEAngler
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
What I read was that Orvis is discontinuing those models and replacing them with lighter reels.

I have several of the BBS and Mid Arbors, and one Large Arbor. The LA is lighter than a corresponding MA. I like the MA's but they're surprisingly heavy.

Steve

Stonefly,

I agree, the MA's are surprisingly heavy. I have two MA's and three BBS reels, and actually recently bought a BBS for my new 8 wt because the MA's were so heavy. Although, I have never really had any major problems out of my reels, I do wish I would have spent a little more money and bought a Lamson or Ross. I did get some grit into my drag system one time, and had to give the reel a good cleaning and lubrication afterward. A similar sized Ross or Lamson is probably 33% lighter than the MA, and they have a much better sealed drag system.

ChemEAngler
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Just got my 2011 Orvis Catalog in the mail. The new Access Mid Arbor reels and rods are in there. It appears that Orvis made a few minor tweaks to the old MA reel drag system, and they just drilled out the housing to make it lighter. Now the weight appears to be comparable to other manufacturers, and the price point did not change by more than $10.