PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Tailwater navigation

Corbo
12-30-2010, 08:55 PM
For the first time in a year this site seems to be working with my computer for some reason!!!

Anyway, I have a heavy tracker jet boat with 120 inboard and I wondering how navigable the holston is from the tailwater ramp downstream to the obvious shoals located by the quarry?

I have seen outboards running down there on 2 generators but what about when they operate at 300 cfs? It's not that I want to go ramming up and down the river or even fishing from the boat.... what I want to do is get to good habitat, throw the anchor and go wade fishing.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..... I don't want to get stranded down there when the water gets shut off.

BTW..... Hey Neal, we met last summer in Pigeon Forge... and get this buddy she just got married for the 8th time! YOU LUCKED OUT!

pineman19
12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
corbo,

You're name, refresh my memory, I am getting old. Is it Mike? As far as running your boat during low water below the dam, through the shoals I would be pretty leery. I don't own a boat, but I have seen boats going through there and pulled up on the shallows after the water receded. Not sure what would be the min cfs needed to get back out, I'll let someone with experience give their input.

Neal

billyspey
12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
i have a jet setup also but i don't think that you can get back up without more water. in fact you will need more water to get down.one way is to put in on generation run down fish while water is low and wate on next generation to get back up. most drift boats walk thru that shoal without generation. that shoal has a pretty good drop.

Corbo
12-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Geezum Neal; you don't remember? Richard

You ESCAPED involvement with the ex I divorced 22 years ago..... she married a dude a few weeks ago.... numb-ah 8!

Very pleased you did not become her newest victim.

Wish I could fish but I've been stranded at home with a bone infection in my foot and just getting over another surgery on it.... plan to be fishing in march.

pineman19
12-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry, I thought a bit and I though it was Rick or Richard. I am pretty poor with names. How is your son doing? He seemed like a pretty cool young fella.

TTYL,

Neal