PDA

View Full Version : holston 12/31

2weightfavorite
01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I fished the holston on friday from 11-4 below the dam at the quarry. Apparently everyone hit the holston today, guys were everywhere! I stayed in the same spot the entire afternoon, and twice I had people come over and fish my run right across from me. Not that it mattered however, because all day I only saw 4 other people catch fish. There were a few rises here and there and the only real hatch coming off was a rediculously small black midge. It was a heavy hatch however, and when I got back to my truck I had empty shucks all over my waders. I managed to catch 4, and LDR 3 more. All in all it wasnt a bad day. i was reminding however why I prefer the mountains over the tailwaters. Less people and fish that arent nearly as picky. On a side note, it seems the holston has the smallest average size fish of any tailwater I have ever fished. Not to say there arent some big ones in there, but it seems 95% of the fish are under 14 inches. Have you all allso noticed this?

Corbo
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your report!

Did you park at the boat landing below the dam and WALK down?

2weightfavorite
01-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I stopped at the quarry office and asked to park there. They said it was fine and told me when they would be shutting the gate. There were like 8 cars parked at the quarry. I know that not everyone parked there asked for permission, however I sure would. If they shut the gates early for some reason at the quarry you would be stuck inside. Next time I go I might try it right below the dam. There looked to be somme good water there once the water levels went all the way down.

milligan trout degree
01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
I like to throw streamers mostly on the Holston. There seems to always be a hatch of tiny midges. I may not catch a lot of fish when I go out there, but I do hook atleast a handful when I do. I can also say that there are indeed some big fish in that river which keeps me coming back with my 6wt and wooly buggers.