PDA

View Full Version : xmas 2010

lauxier
01-02-2011, 03:10 PM
My wife and I returned to Gatlinburg for Christmas.Fished Thursday the 23rd,caught 2 world class rainbows,both were about 5 inches long.The wintertime park was beautiful.Was using 2 nymph rig,got several strikes.Talked to guy from Birmingham Alabama,he was using a Sage Rod that was 7'9" triple 0,that's right 000 weight,I did not know there are fly rods so light...any one know about these rods...I usually fish bamboo,a 4 or 5 wt,and don't get me wrong I like Sage rods.Is there an ultra-ultra light fly rod movement I don't know about.I own a 5 pc. winston 2 wt,I bought at LRO,I do not care for it much,probably because I have not used it that much..I am leaning toward purchasing a 10.5 ft rod which may sound extreme,but shoulld be a really fab rod for nymphing in most any stream.Any one a 10 ft'er???

2weightfavorite
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Another guide that I guide with uses a 10 footer from time to time. Ironically it is great for kids, no casting needed. Just reach and plop. In the hands of an experienced angler aa 10 foot rod would let you high stick20 feet away!! The shop I guide for has some of those rediculously light rods.. They dont sell often so I woul say there is no great movement towards them. Just as hard as finding a 00 or 000 rod is finding line and a reel for it!! Sage makes specific line for the 00 and 000 rods, and I think they are the only ones that do.

narcodog
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I have two Tenkara rods one is 11ft the other is 13ft they both work well with s/h's and nymphs. I also have a Cortland 10ft 4wt that I like very well. It was imported from GB and they are used in Ero style nymphing.
The 13ft and the 10 ft are both for sale if anyone is interested.

Bran
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
My understanding from a dealer was there was very little appreciable difference in the 0's and a 1 Wt. It's a sales tactic. Now those were his words, I have not fished them and am not accomplished enough to tell a difference if there were one. I will say this, if you're interested in parting with that Winston then give me some particulars on it. I love my Winston's!