PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Final 5 for new reel

DBKSTONE2
01-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I have narrowed it down to five reels and I wanted to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

DBK

GrouseMan77
01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I voted for the Ross even though I have not picked up the F1. I have a Ross and think they are a solid reel. There is something about the look of the Nautilus reels that I don't like. They might be the greatest reel of all time but I just don't like the look. Lamson (either) would be my second choice. I don't know anything about the Hatch.

Knothead
01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
If It was me, I'd buy the Ross. However, I suggest you buy all 5 and send me the 4 you don't want. :biggrin:

donwinn
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I have two Ross Evolution reels. I also have a Lamson Guru. Both are good reels. I am not familiar with the actual models, but you probably can't go wrong with either of these brands.

mcfly
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Without a question, the Nautilus is the better reel out of your choices, although I would go with the FW (or FWX as it is called now) and you'll fall under your budget. Ross' were good a few years ago, but are junk, in my opinion, in the past few years. I didn't like the Hatch that I looked at when I bought my last Nautilus. Seemed to pricey for the quality of the reel.

Edit:

Just noticed this was for a 5wt. Buy an American made Plfueger Medalist from the 50's or 60's off Ebay or a new Orvis BBS from LRO and save your money.

billyspey
01-09-2011, 08:21 AM
3M has purchased Ross reels and like so many 3M purchases they dump them ,remaines to be seen.just caution's . i have several ross reels i like such as the canyons and 1st. evo.

DBKSTONE2
02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all your help. I went with the Ross F1. It is SWEEEEET!