PDA

View Full Version : trips of 2011

flyguys
01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Just sitting here in the house with a balmy 14 degree wind chill, just thinking of spring. What is everyone's dream trip for 2011? Just a thought to stimulate some conversation. flyguys

donwinn
01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I am planning on going to Alaska this year. My wife and I will be going so it will not be an exclusive fishing trip, but I will fish during the trip. I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

flyguys
01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
good luck with your trip donwinn, an Alaska trip is on the radar for myself in the future.

ChemEAngler
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
The wife and I are planning a return trip to Durango in the late spring. She and I are anxiously awaiting another float trip on the San Juan. Durango is such a nice town, with beautiful scenery, and good food. I am ready.

BlueRaiderFan
01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Just reconnected with an old Army buddy that lives next to the deschutes river...gonna check on flights to Portland and a rental car.

ahighlan
01-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Hoping to drive up north through Wisconsin and fish through the central and eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan for about a week. Then drive back down through Michigan stopping for a river or two that is out of reach for my usual long weekend trips.

Owl
01-09-2011, 04:08 AM
My first ever trip out west to fish. Not a prime location (so I understand) but we'll be headed to Denver for a little get-together, and I'm going to try to find some trout water nearby to fish. I've been wanting to go out west ( to Yellowstone or Montana) for about 12 years now, so I guess you could call CO a dream trip. Close enough for me, anyway.

rivergal
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I am spending the Winter with T. R. and Kermit in Africa ( armchair adventure)

WVBrookie
01-09-2011, 11:09 AM
My first ever trip out west to fish. Not a prime location (so I understand) but we'll be headed to Denver for a little get-together, and I'm going to try to find some trout water nearby to fish. I've been wanting to go out west ( to Yellowstone or Montana) for about 12 years now, so I guess you could call CO a dream trip. Close enough for me, anyway.

I've fished both Yellowstone and Montana multiple times and I'll take Colorado over those ANY day!

As for my 2011 dream trip, it will be with my son (his first trip out west), backpacking into the highcountry to catch all three native cutthroat in Colorado then moving north to get him a Wyoming Cuttslam certificate.

Chris

Trico
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Glad to see I am not the only one doing some dreaming! I too am thinking about an Alaskan trip.

flatserious
01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Not exactly dream trips but 3 that I am looking forward to this year, dreaming about if you will are.... annual trip with all my good old friends to an undisclosed location in the park for three days of camping, fishing, and guy talk.

I am dreaming of this years Cobia run on the beaches of home in Jacksonville. I even dusted off the 10wt this weekend and double hauled some 80 foot casts.

Then my families annual trip to Costa Rica. We are looking at some new property. Costa is always a blast. Don't ever get to fish enough with the wife and girls and in laws but I manage a few fish.

The Principal
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Went to Alaska the last two summers. Resolution is to get back to monthly camping and fishing trips to GSM. Maybe a salt water trip or two thrown in.

tennswede
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Not exactly my dream trip, but very good anyway, Hoping to catch my first grayling. I tried over three years ago, and actually had one on. This time I'm landing him lol. Anyway, heading to eastern Finland in Northern Karelia. Got family there so I'll kill two birds if you know what I mean. Going to fish some short but heavy turbulent rapids coming out of Russian Karelia. Not going until late August to avoid mosquito ****.

mlstiehl
01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
WVBrookie,

Thanks for reminding me. I need to send in my photos for the WY slam.
Let me know if you need any info on the Bear River Cut, Snake River Cut. I did not catch my Colorado Cut out of the Labarge, but it is open for fishing again.
All of the three above can be caught within 1 to 2 hours drive depending upon how one drives on gravel roads.

WVBrookie
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
WVBrookie,

Thanks for reminding me. I need to send in my photos for the WY slam.
Let me know if you need any info on the Bear River Cut, Snake River Cut. I did not catch my Colorado Cut out of the Labarge, but it is open for fishing again.
All of the three above can be caught within 1 to 2 hours drive depending upon how one drives on gravel roads.

Thanks for the offer but I completed my Slam in 2007. I actually caught the Bonneville and Snake River in two streams each.

I plan to do it again next year with four new streams.

Chris

flybum62
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Working on two trips for '11. I'll be coming to the Smoky's with a few friends. Them off to the Black Hills with the family.

rbaileydav
01-11-2011, 12:55 AM
patagonia in february ..... i cant wait

DD

Rainbow Warrior
01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I plan on going after cobia too. Instead of Jacksonville, we will be off of Destin. We have caught them before on conventional tackle. Usually when the destin cobia run starts, so does the run of smaller spanish mackeral, so I plan on trying for some of those also.

My second would be to go back to Arkansas and fish the Little Red again. I would also like to fish the white and norfork as well.

Troutman
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I would like to go back to Callaway Gardens in West GA. to fish the lakes for trophy size largemouth and bream and maybe a guided trip over on the Flint river for shoal bass. Visited CG last summer, did not get to fish, but it is a warm water fly fishers paradise! :biggrin:

ukfb1
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
North Platte WY July 16th

Owl
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Not trying to hijack this most excellent thread, but just a little offer - some outdoor blogger friends and I are having a Smoky Mountain Trout Camp get-together this coming spring. If anyone might be interested in joining us, LRO board members are more than welcome... Link: http://southernblueridge.wordpress.com/2011/01/09/smoky-mountain-trout-camp-may-20-22-2011/

fearnofishbob
01-11-2011, 09:46 PM
We're going to be a little north of ChemEangler in Gunnison Co., Plan on fishing the Black Canyon along with a number of smaller waters. We'll have 1.5 miles of private water on the Tomichi that is in front of the home we are renting for a glorious 10 days

Younger Tom
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Old Tom and I are going Yellowstone in the middle of July for a week and a half. Hoping for some long days fishing the Lamar & Slough.

gmreeves
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I dream year round of my annual Canada trip for Musky and Smallmouth. This year, there will be a nice twist if I can get busy in the shop.

Tiger fly
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
You're not the first person I've heard say this. I've made an annual trip out to MT/Yellowstone for the past 4 years. I'm thinking about trying CO this year. Do you fly into Denver and drive down to Durango or is there a closer airport? Is there a lot of access in CO besides RMNP?
My ideal fishing is similar to the water in the Ne part of the park in Yellowstone. Slough, Lamar valley, Soda Butte. Is there anything similar in CO?
I'd rather not have to pay a guide to float every day too.

tennswede
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Albuquerque will be your closest airport to Durango. Easy nice driving of 3 1/2 hours. Just make sure you got gas and water. Desert between, Albuquerque and Farmgington NM and very very long distances between gas stations if they are even open. Beautiful country and you can make a stop at Navajo Dam for some fishing on San Juan tailwater.

WVBrookie
01-13-2011, 10:02 PM
When I fly, I fly into Denver and I've found Frontier airlines (Denver is the main hub) to have the cheapest flights. From Denver, Frontier also has two flights a day to Durango.

I can't recommend any waters in that area of the state, the closest I have been is Gunnison. Although over three hours from Durango, the Conejos is very similar to the Lamar - minus the cutthroat.

Good luck,
Chris

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Would love to visit/fish Alaska. We'll see if that comes to fruition this year! :rolleyes:

glecleir
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
The trip I am most looking forward to is an annual reunion of my grad school buddies. Everyone meets up here in Knoxville and we spend the weekend fishing the local tailwaters and in the Smokies. It is a great time and a great way to catch up with good friends who now live further away than I would like. This annual reunion has helped to keep several friendships strong despite living hundreds of miles away from each other.

The Principal
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Alaska is great !Fished the Naknek river at the Naknek River Camp out of King Salmon.
Was a great experience. Did it the last two summers. This place was very affordable. Great fishing. Great service!

Owl
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
The trip I am most looking forward to is an annual reunion of my grad school buddies. Everyone meets up here in Knoxville and we spend the weekend fishing the local tailwaters and in the Smokies. It is a great time and a great way to catch up with good friends who now live further away than I would like. This annual reunion has helped to keep several friendships strong despite living hundreds of miles away from each other.

A wonderful benefit of fishing that we too often overlook. With three of my friends moving out of state this year, those once a year trips are becoming very important to me. Great post!

flyman
01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Troutfest and a trip planned to South FL are all i have presently planned, other than that I'll go when I can, where I can, and with who ever else can get away.:biggrin:

Knik
01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Plan on taking a buddy from work up to Alaska for a week or so of fly fishing the road system, camping and sight seeing.

Hope to get the chance to fish some salt water this year, but no plans of yet.