PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up on Para-dries


NDuncan
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I thought I would post some pictures of what I have been working on, tying-wise...

Mostly have been stocking up on female para-adams, size 18-12 (pictured here are 12, 14, and an ugly 18 (the only 18 i have done in this pattern so far):
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Flies/adams.png

And some BWOs, with black tail/hackle since that what I had I on hand:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Flies/BWO.png

Size 18 and 14 shown here.

I also have been playing with this yellow one, sized 14:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Flies/yellow.png

I also have been experimenting with this para-yellow jacket (size 14 200R):

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Flies/yellowjacket.png

GrouseMan77
01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Good looking flies! Care to share the details on that yellow jacket?

NDuncan
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Sure thing! I will say that this is still a work in progress and I have only done 3 or 4, tweaking things each time.

Like I said, it is tied on a 2004R hook, this one being a size 14.

Here's what I did, step by step. If I get a chance to tie anything tonight, I'll take some pictures along the way.

Materials:

Thread1: yellow
Dubbing: yellow (the one I used is the waspi with a little flash in it)
Tail/stinger and wings - Black biots
Hackle: grizzly
Parachute: Your favorite material. I have a white german shepherd who molts clumps of white hair about 1-3"long that work great and it comes out in tight parallel bundles, and it's free and all over my house anyway)

On a base of the yellow thread I first tie in the stinger/tail, clipping the excess biot off. Then make your parachute, dub the body (I kinda like the 'ant-like' body with a thick abdomen and head, but a skinny thorax), Then I think I wrapped the dubbing with some thread to further shape the body and then whip finish and tie off the yellow thread. I then switch to black thread, making the bands and then tying in the two biot wings followed by the hackle feather. After wrapping the hackle and tying it off, I whip finish the black thread and it is done.

I will say that this is the best method I have come up with so far, but I am not totally happy with it. The trickest thing for me is being very efficient with each wrap of black thread to get good bands with the least noticeable connection between them. I have also done it by using black dubbing for the bands, but wasn't as happy with the result. I also felt like when I used black thread throughout the yellow dubbing was too puffy in some places (which is more of a me error, i guess, and probably using super-fine dubbing instead of the fine dubbing I used here would help that too, but I didn't have any in the color i wanted) So I will probably keep playing with this pattern to get it to look a little better and be a little more efficient.

MadisonBoats
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I also have been experimenting with this para-yellow jacket (size 14 200R):

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/Nathan_Duncan/Flies/yellowjacket.png

Good flies and thanks for sharing them. I like the yellow jacket scheme. I have found that doing a body-hackle wrap in the middle works best for my yellow jackets. It seems that yellow jackets float very well and tend to stay on top of the water more than in an emergent state. Just my feedback and hope it helps bud. Keep up the great tying and thanks again for taking the time to share your patterns.

*I like your cork idea. I need to stop by the hardware store and get some of those.:smile:

No Hackle
01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
That yellow jacket will makem fetch for sure. Looks good.
Lynn