PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River Report: 01/09/2010

MadisonBoats
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Clinch River Report: 01/19/2011

Air Temp: 38 Degrees
Water Temp: 47 Degrees (Consistently Stable)
Barometer: 1012.25 Millibars (Rising)
*Full Moon @ 4PM :)

Fished the Clinch for about two-hours yesterday evening. It was a little cold and windy at times. Glad I had my neoprene gloves.

Fished a streamer above the weir dam for a bit. The water was stagnant and the mountain had shaded most of the light. I saw some fish rising; but, I could not present my streamer without spooking the fish consistently. Plus, my fingers were not up to stripping line in the cold-guess I am a wuss:rolleyes:

Changed locations to one of the tourist spots and found some sheltered areas that allowed me to throw some dry flies. Fish were rising very will and they were on to my black trico spinner.

Photo borrowed from the internet that closely matches my fly.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRpBk0EnuKrtGCytz4IGVZhkWHXopM TcomGMey6_IN8ALgf4wuQQQ

whitefeather
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Shawn,

I felt a shiver up my spine when I read your post. Looking out the window at yet another snow storm, 24 degrees, might have helped a bit, LOL. The Clinch is on my short list of places to visit in the future. I 've gone by there many times on my way to the Smokies. One day I plan to stop and sample it! Any suggestions?

Whitefeather

Trico
01-20-2011, 01:34 PM
I too went fishing yesterday but on a private spring creek in Northern Ohio. It was 24 degrees. I used some size 18 midges. The fishing was great but I had to keep cleaning the ice off the guides or I could not cast. I have only fished the Clinch a couple of times. Each time was where you were. Thirty eight degrees sounds real pleasant right now! If you don't mind me asking were you fishing from a boat?

MadisonBoats
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
I was wading the whole time. The water was actually warmer than the air temperature. I fished in the low 20s on a 7 mile drift about 2 weeks ago. It is not too bad if you are prepared, but, some say I am obsessive.:rolleyes:

CinciVol
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Shawn,

Your winter fishing escapades continue to impress even a yankee like me! I fished the Clinch in one of the "tourist areas" on Monday and was surprised at the level of surface feeding going on. I managed to coax a few fish with the classic zebra midge fished below a dry fly over a few hours. Nothing dry I used seemed to work.

Do you think your Trico immitates an emerging midge or black fly? It looks like a cool fly and it may have done the trick for me.

Dave

Rodonthefly
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I have seen fish here latly that are full of black fly larva. And even adult black fly. That little spinner in a size 20-22 should be killer come march if not now.

You boys that are fishing this weekend catch one for me would ya ? I'm laid up with the flu and fishing is out for me this weekend!

MadisonBoats
01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Shawn,

Your winter fishing escapades continue to impress even a yankee like me! I fished the Clinch in one of the "tourist areas" on Monday and was surprised at the level of surface feeding going on. I managed to coax a few fish with the classic zebra midge fished below a dry fly over a few hours. Nothing dry I used seemed to work.

Do you think your Trico immitates an emerging midge or black fly? It looks like a cool fly and it may have done the trick for me.

Dave

Dave, I used to wakeboard year around on Norris Lake. My brother and I would put about 1,000-1,500 hours a year on our boats. He wakeboards without a wetsuit in the annual charity fundraiser in Knoxville in January. I am not that tough. My nephew rides without a wetsuit too. He started riding in the January weather without a wetsuit we he was seven.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs001.snc6/165186_10150135866988319_718858318_7899181_1384619 _n.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to give up wakeboarding after destroying my back and suffering a massive blood clot on my spinal cord:frown:.

Actually, I do not think the Trico was really imitating any hatch. I was throwing to a good rise and they were actively feeding and its size and shape were similar to the small midges I saw coming off.

The actual midge hatch was creme/brown ribbed in is size 20. Take the Trico pattern above and use creme/brown ribbing and you will be on them. Or just use a griffith's gnat:biggrin:. Keep the fly dry and on top of the water too!

waterwolf
01-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Tougher men then me fishing right now. Hope y'all are having fun, and save a few for those pansies like me who only fish in short sleeves. :biggrin:

Rodonthefly
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Wolfy ol boy did ya come out from under your rock to see if you could see your shadow or what? Havnt heard from ya all winter

waterwolf
01-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I snuck out of the lair for a few minutes to see if the sun was still around. :biggrin:

ChemEAngler
01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
It has been an unusually cold and wet winter in east TN. I hate global warming! :biggrin:

Made it to the Clinch yesterday, and found a few that were willing to bite. All were caught on a #22 zebra midge, but it was very slow going. Only saw one rise while there, and managed to get him to take an olive zebra that drifted past his rock. Nothing of any size, all were from 7 to 11". I have a couple areas down low that I can fish when one generator is running, and only fished for a couple hours before the wind started picking up. That forced me off the water pretty quickly. Unfortunately the water was just dropping to typical 0 generator level when I had to leave, so activity may have picked up then. All in all, it was a rewarding day since I had to work hard for every fish. Considering the high sun, temp, absolute lack of risers, and high water, I consider it a successful day on the water.

Sure was nice to get out on the water, and was a much needed break from the stress of my recent trips to Joisey!

FYI..... Water temp was 42 deg, and air was 35 deg

MadisonBoats
01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
It has been an unusually cold and wet winter in east TN. I hate global warming! :biggrin:

Made it to the Clinch yesterday, and found a few that were willing to bite. All were caught on a #22 zebra midge, but it was very slow going. Only saw one rise while there, and managed to get him to take an olive zebra that drifted past his rock. Nothing of any size, all were from 7 to 11". I have a couple areas down low that I can fish when one generator is running, and only fished for a couple hours before the wind started picking up. That forced me off the water pretty quickly. Unfortunately the water was just dropping to typical 0 generator level when I had to leave, so activity may have picked up then. All in all, it was a rewarding day since I had to work hard for every fish. Considering the high sun, temp, absolute lack of risers, and high water, I consider it a successful day on the water.

Sure was nice to get out on the water, and was a much needed break from the stress of my recent trips to Joisey!

FYI..... Water temp was 42 deg, and air was 35 deg

That wind bummed me out too... I really screwed up my strategy and hopes for the day.

I got 47 degrees above Coal Creek and 45 at Peach Orchard for water temperatures. The big boys were definitely on the bottom. Spoke with a bait fisherman and he was slaying them off the bottom. He pulled in two larger browns ~18-19 (looked like slot fish) while I was there. He was using minnows on the bottom.

I had one decent fish in the upper teens break me off while I was fumbling for my net in the boat. In hindsight; I think I tied a crappy knot in haste and from being cold:rolleyes:.

CinciVol
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Shawn, sounds like you have some polar bear in your family tree!

Glad to read that you are getting out some. I am getting ready to move to Powell in a month or so which puts me in after-work striking distance from the Clinch. I'd love to fish with you some time after my move is all settled.

Take care, Dave

MadisonBoats
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Shawn, sounds like you have some polar bear in your family tree!

Glad to read that you are getting out some. I am getting ready to move to Powell in a month or so which puts me in after-work striking distance from the Clinch. I'd love to fish with you some time after my move is all settled.

Take care, Dave

Dave, you are welcome to fish with me any time bud. I try to promote a happy atmosphere with no pressure to follow any fly fishing standards. All that I ask if that you have a good time, pay it forward one day, and never exhibit a poser/narcissistic fly fishing attitude! I can handle anything; except for a cocky, poser (10-stickers in on the ride; Rod/Reel Branding on the water marketing, and an obnoxious attitude). There is nothing wrong with that attitude as a person; I just do not want to be around those kind of people when I fish. Money is no object. I will take a young, eager beaver with a Bass Pro Shop-Combo any day for a fabulous trip on the river. Most often; their ears are pinned back and they will appreciate and utilize any help you give them.

waterwolf
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
except for a cocky, poser (10-stickers in on the ride; Rod/Reel Branding on the water marketing, and an obnoxious attitude). .

This reminds me of the frat boys I had the pleasure of following down the river one day last summer. Truck had so many **** stickers on it, I bet you couldn't see out the windows. It was like a floating infomercial, and they were real jewels of etiquette as well. Sadly all those stickers, poor attitude, and new gear didn't allow them to catch but a couple of fish. All the while us guys with faded gear and no stickers pounded the crap out of fish from start to finish.

I feel your pain on the Stock car sticker freaks.

MadisonBoats
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
This reminds me of the frat boys I had the pleasure of following down the river one day last summer. Truck had so many **** stickers on it, I bet you couldn't see out the windows. It was like a floating infomercial, and they were real jewels of etiquette as well. Sadly all those stickers, poor attitude, and new gear didn't allow them to catch but a couple of fish. All the while us guys with faded gear and no stickers pounded the crap out of fish from start to finish.

Well, I guess I was venting a bit from some of my previous experiences. I think you should do whatever makes you happy as long as it does impinge on others! When I was younger; I was probably one of those guys and trying to find myself and my own style. I guess experiences and life's lessons helped me to be the person I want to be and not be defined by society's influential traits.

I rarely fish with someone because it is hard to find someone that is genuinely a good person. Lately, I have found a one or two new fishing buddies that I relish their company on the water. I cannot imagine being a guide with a boat full of jerks. I guess I would probably drop them off on the bank and give them their money back.:biggrin: Well, in a safe spot...

CinciVol
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Shawn, I appreciate the invite. I agree with you that finding a good fishing buddy is one of life's great challenges. I have exactly 3 (including my brother) and I have known all of them for over 30 years. Unfortunately they are all still in Cincinnati despite my best efforts to drag them South!

As for gear snobbery, until a month ago my go-to rod was a Pfluegger Medalist that I bought at Dicks for $40 (incl. reel and line...). I have to say it worked pretty darned well and I would gladly trade the fancy new rod I recently bought for more fishing time on my calendar even if it was with my old rod. Unfortunately, the new rod did not come with a time-maker...

Dave

Streamhound
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
That time maker would be a great feature!

I have found that I have stopped fishing with a couple of friends (we still are) because of philosophical differences. Mostly I can stop fishing and just enjoy the place (warm and cold water) and they are about the counts. To each their own but we don't go out together anymore...

fishingman62
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
cincivol and streambound.... i agree a good fishing buddy is a rare find ....for me it was my dad for 40 years till i moved from pa ......
i was lucky enough to meet 2 guys on the caney a liitle over 2 years ago.....they have become not only my best fishing buds but very good personal friends.......we joke and razz each other about cast and fish caught everytime we fish together...... every day spent on the river with them is a pleaseant memory if we catch fish or not... i myself recently moved from crossville to fountain city and the distance from them will make trips to the caney a bit tougher to make and not near as often as in the past ...hopefully i will be lucky again and find a fishing buddy over here for the clinch and other rivers on this side of tn ...
dan

Rodonthefly
01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Now Jordan how would your sorority sisters feel about you dogin frat boys on a public website?

MadisonBoats
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Now Jordan how would your sorority sisters feel about you dogin frat boys on a public website?

Rod,
I have fraternity brothers (I am a Sigma Chi if there are any others on this forum) and I know how we acted at times:redface:. So; I know that we/I have probably been jerks to others on the lake at one time. It takes some time and the right mentors to learn fishing etiquette and it all means something different to each of us. We have to remember that we are only on this world for a short time and we need to learn to love and share it's beauty with one another.

Do what makes you happy and it is ok to support your interests with stickers in the window, etc. Sure you may get ribbed by a few folks; but, you are living the life you want to live. I have more respect for someone that is happy and unabated by the opinions of others; than, someone who is too afraid to express their self. What I mean is to have your own 'flavor' in life and add your own 'flavor' to fly fishing. The key is to be mindful of not cheating others of the same opportunity!

waterwolf
01-27-2011, 08:24 AM

I am the height of hypocrisy. I was a frat boy at Auburn, however I don't tote the same banner these new age frat guys tote. Screw the sisters:biggrin:

Rodonthefly
01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Was my offer to low for you yesterday Jim? I never heard back from you.