PDA

View Full Version : Tenkara Fishing on Smith Creek

Owl
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I did a little filming on a day-trip to Smith's Creek, near Helen, GA. It's a DH creek within Unicoi State Park and it's not really the kind of "destination" trip that a trip to the Park is - but it's close and I only had a few hours. I used a new tenkara rod, caught a few trout and mostly fiddled with the new camera...and of course, tried to throw in some humor.

el linko: http://southernblueridge.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/tenkara-fishing-on-smiths-creek/

Also, just in case you found that amusing, I run a little blog (link in my sig line) where I try to mix humor and fishing and a few other fishing related things - or, if you just want to stop by to say it stinks, that's ok too. ;)

BlueRaiderFan
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Cool vid, Owl. Gonna have to add your blog to my favorites.

Owl
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks! Once I get used to the camera and it warms up a bit, I'm hoping to have more hook-up and release shots - and I'd like to get some video of trout cruising around too once the water clears up a bit. I'm trying to figure out now how I can make some sort of boom rig to get the camera near the fish, but so far I haven't worked out how to make one that will also fit in my chest pack.

BlueRaiderFan
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
A telescoping wading staff with a tripod bolt on the end?

Trico
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Owl: Loved your video!

Speck Lover
01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I enjoyed the video Owl, that was pretty neat! By the way, I can relate to the "do these waders make that boy look fat, or is it all them double cheeseburgers" remark. I refer to mine as wrinkle control. :biggrin:

Owl
01-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Thanks ya'll. I'm headed back there tomorrow to try a prototype rod I've been working on with another Tenkara fisher. It's a small stream version of the tenkara method. We'll see if the concept can successfully be applied to a much shorter rod. I hope to get more video, but depending on the outcome of the tests, it may be a while before I actually post up the video online. ( If the concept of a 4-5 ft. tenkara rod bombs, I'll put it up right away. :) LOL

I know it's been debated here before, and I have to agree that tenkara looks alot like "cane pole" fishing. Until you actually realize that it's got more in common with fly fishing than swinging crickets or dapping with a short line. That said, I think the major thing that most people don't consider is the fact that there's no big, fat, heavy fly line to catch in the faster current and cause drag. ( To me, this is the beauty of the tenkara system). It's never going to replace me western rods and reels on rivers like the Little River or the Oconaluftee, but it would be golden on Road Prong, Walker Camp or Porter's Creek. Tomorrow, I'm going to test it out in the heavy back woods part of Smith's Creek and see if I can pull off tenkara fishing (albeit with a much shorter rod) in the thick woods.

Crockett
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Great video Owl I managed to watch it all while eating my lunch very entertaining. Does anyone fish for trout on the Chatahoochee thru Helen or does it have any?

01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Adam, as I recall the 'hooch thru Helen is mostly bait fishing by motel guests. South of Helen a lot of the water is pay to fish. North of Helen is the Chatahoochee National Forest. Lots of pretty water in a nice mountain setting. Haven't fished the forest in a number of years but I used to really enjoy my trips there.

Owl
01-25-2011, 03:17 AM
501 is right. Although there are probably some stream-born fish in the "Hooch" through Helen, it's mostly a put-n-take fishery. Stocked weekly in season, and sometimes bonus stockings around Christmas, it's full of kids, grannies, moms and dads on inner-tubes much of the year. Just below the waterpark ( yes, waterpark. uggh.) you run into land leased ( I'm assuming, unless after all these years they've bought it) by Unicoi Outfitters for "trophy fishing" where pellet fed trout (which can grow very large) are the quarry. Above the Flea Market and Tube Rental places, you can access the upper "Hooch" via a Forest Service Road. I used to know the name and/or number...darn it. Haven't been back in there since I was in my late 20's probably...anyway, if you'd rather try for wild fish, you have to run back in there quite a ways, but the roads are usually in good shape. There are a couple of small streams - Jasus and Low Gap that are stocked weekly or bi-weekly in season - but both have wild fish in their headwaters.

One more thing worth noting about that area is that Smith Creek, although a DH right now and only open inside Unicoi State Park, does eventually dump out into the Hooch near the turn that takes you away from Helen (Robertstown actually) and toward the state park. You can fish the Hooch here, and I'm sure some fish from the DH find their way down that far, because many times there are anglers lined up downstream of the junction fishing with spinning rods and fly rods, too.

I cut my trout fishing teeth on Low Gap and Jasus, and my first fly fishing was done not too far away on the Talullah and Coleman Rivers. If you poke around with a map a bit, you can find some nice water that's not well known back on those forest service roads. Some excellent fishing can be had within a stone's throw from some of the major attractions. But that's water I'd rather not mention on the internet...

thanks for the memories there, guys. :)