View Full Version : Chattahoochee 1/15/11 & 1/22/11

Rainbow Warrior
01-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I had read a few reports from the chattahoochee DH, and they said it was fishing good. My Dad and I had never fished this section and decided to give it a go. There was still plenty of snow around which made getting out of our neighborhood difficult.

This is our back yard. The road still had plenty of snow on it. We made it up our hill and arrived at Johnson's Ferry boat ramp around 10:30. We had never fished this area before, so we called Chris Scalley of River Through Atlanta. He said the lower end of the DH was fishing better, but we were already at the ramp. We put the boat in. As my Dad was parking I talked to two older guys fly fishing out of these small inflatable boats. One of the guys said they weren't hitting anything specific. The other guy hadn't caught any yet. My Dad got back and we started drifting. We anchored just below the bridge that is just below the ramp. My dad hooked the first fish. It happened to have hit the ziplock caddis http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_biggrin.png

We fished this place a little longer and then kept going. The water was not very clear and had a green tint to it. That wasn't the only problem. The wind was blowing pretty good. It would change from upstream to downstream. It made casting hard. My dad hooked another fish as we were going.

Another ziplock victim http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cool.gif We threw it back and kept going. I threw up against a log pile that had a deep run next to it. It didn't take long for a hit. I hooked and landed a nice 13" brown. While 'i was trying to take a picture of it I dropped the fish which made the dropper go into my finger pretty deep. I gave up on the picture and threw the little demon back. The catching was slow, but the fishing was good. We managed about a dozen trouts by the end of the day. We were so frustrated with the wind that we never ended up going past sope creek and into the DH. As we were motoring back up be busted the prop up bad. We had a spare, but no pin. It was a long row back to the ramp. Here's a few more picks of the day.

Plenty of snow on the cliffs.
At the takeout.

After not being able to sleep and staying up til' 2:30 am, I woke up late around 9:45. I had the idea to go to Jones Bridge. I went downstairs to ask my Dad, but he beat me to the question. We left around 11:15 and got to the ramp at about 12.

We were going to start up by the island, but a River Through Atlanta guide had already beat us to it. Once again, the wind was there. We have honestly never had a day on the Hooch without wind. I expected the water to be a greenish color because of the lake turnover, but,to my surprise, it was gin clear. It was the clearest we had ever seen. It made it easier to pick out water to throw in. We anchored just outside the ramp. I was drifting through a crevise between rocks and hooked a fish...it got off. We kept fishing and then headed downstream. It took us a while to catch a fish. It was my turn to row and my dad's turn to go in the front casting brase. I got us a good drift. I flicked out my line about 10 ft. from the side of the boat just for the heck of it. To my surprise, the indicator dove. I set the hook on a nice rainbow. It immidately came up and jumped a few times. I then landed it. He hit that lightning bug I posted in "Winter Tying".

I threw him back. I rowed us back up above where I hooked the fish and dropped the anchor. Immediatly another fish. It was just like the last. I threw him back and down we went. We got to our favorite section of "the aquarium" and anchored. I caught 2 more fish. My dad was still skunked, so I rigged him up with what I had. He kept fishing. We kept going down. We got to the spot where we usually wade and got out. My Dad decided to eat lunch. I caught another fish just below the boat. He got out and fished along side me. I hooked a few more, but only landed one. We decided to call it a day. We motored back up to the ramp. Overall I caught 8, but my dad caught the skunk disease. It was still good to be out there.


Hope you guys got out as well.


01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Rainbow Warrior: Enjoyed looking at your photos. It is really great you and your dad fish together like this. You may not realize it now but these are moments you will remember and treasure for life!

01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
great pics and story