PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking & flyfishing

GrouseMan77
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know how much longer I can hold out!

The dreams have already started. Things getting a little greener, a fly box full of quill gordons and a pack loaded down for a relaxing weekend along my favorite park stream.

Instead, I'm sitting here watching it sprinkle and listening to the prophecies of closed schools, empty shelves and treacherous driving.

flyguys
01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Hang in there!! Same here. Cloudy, cold skies! No ducks flying at the end of the season! Bored and ready for spring! Come on green trees and warm temps! Flyguys

Grannyknot
01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm lucky to have other things on my mind right now.
Otherwise, I'd have such a bad case of cabin fever I'd be pulling my hair out.

GrouseMan77
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Otherwise, I'd have such a bad case of cabin fever I'd be pulling my hair out.

Don't worry, it will start falling out on it's own in a few more weeks.

pineman19
01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
The news isn't all bad, it's supposed to be in the low 50's this weekend.

Neal

Streamhound
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
lucky you
we are to have 2-4 inches snow tonight in south central KY

Oldman
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Saw some dafodils 2 inches high today. No lie.

Mac
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Ok, I have checked my back packing list about as many times as we had snow this winter. I have already re-weighted everything on my packing list and it all weights exactly the same as the last time. :cool:

Cleaned and conditioned my flyline, it should bounce on the top of the water like a dry fly this spring. :eek:

I have read and re-read what i consider the best streams on Jim Casada new book and marked every spot i can think of on my maps that i plan to visit. Reading Jims book has been the best way to take my mind to all the smokys trout streams and backcountry places while i am sitting at the house and watching it snow. ;)

yesterday i even called and made reservations at one of the Hotels in Bryson city for my first spring trip up Deep Creek. I know its still 3 plus months but i can not take it any more. Had to make some plans.

Oh well back to the tread mill, plenty of time to get in shape. :frown:

NDuncan
01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Reading Jims book has been the best way to take my mind to all the smokys trout streams and backcountry places while i am sitting at the house and watching it snow. ;)

I have been doing this well, but I now have had to stop because I think it is making me even more stir crazy.

ifish4wildtrout
01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
You ain't the only one feeling it, bro. Trust me, you ain't the only one. :frown:

pineman19
01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I ordered a couple of fly rod blanks last night. I don't really need any new rods, but that isn't the point right:biggrin: Need something to get through February, January was a bear (no pun intended):rolleyes:

Neal

flyman
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Thank goodness for scrap booking :biggrin:

spotlight
01-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah I feel ya I too am ready to get out and do some backpacking in the Spring however this year I think most of it will be done during the week last Spring I made the mistake of going to#50 on Bradley Fork there were 5 of us fly fishers at that site the next morning I awoke early to head way upstream only to be greeted by another 5-8 fishermen that were staying at Smokemont. Backcountry fly fishing is awesome. but I plan on doing some trips during the week and way in the backcountry to beat the crowds.

spotlight
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Ok, I have checked my back packing list about as many times as we had snow this winter. I have already re-weighted everything on my packing list and it all weights exactly the same as the last time.

Mac I'm just curious what does all your gear weigh?

ifish4wildtrout
01-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Yeah I feel ya I too am ready to get out and do some backpacking in the Spring however this year I think most of it will be done during the week last Spring I made the mistake of going to#50 on Bradley Fork there were 5 of us fly fishers at that site the next morning I awoke early to head way upstream only to be greeted by another 5-8 fishermen that were staying at Smokemont. Backcountry fly fishing is awesome. but I plan on doing some trips during the week and way in the backcountry to beat the crowds.

I always go during the week. I see very few other folks during the week.

Mac
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
It is snowing outside right now. This should be a good one to start people talking and making comparisons. My wife says i am only allowed to bring up backpacking and fly fishing once a day anymore. :rolleyes:

6 Days 5 nights packing list:

So far 35 pounds 14oz for 6 days 5 nights.

The key to it all for me and my brother is going to the gym all winter long and getting rid of the Thanksgivin and Xmas belly weight. :biggrin:

Grannyknot
01-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Very nice list Mac!
Be careful putting too much faith in that Houdini jacket in heavy rain.
Mine has fooled me more than once.

spotlight
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Well done MAC! you got me beat I'm 29-35 for an over nighter but I usually carry a soft side cooler with 5-6 beers and some Jim Beam in a platypuss bag. I carry Aqua mira drops to treat water my pack weighs 2lbs it's a ULA Circuit I have a western Mountaineering bag it's 1lb 8 o/zs when I take my Hennesey Hammock it's 2lbs and I also have a tarp tent moment that is 2lbs but when I use the tent I have to carry the Thermarest which weighs a pound either way my big four is right around 7lbs .

I have a custom made tube for my rod I have a Orvis Helios which is very light I use my Temple Fork sock cause it's way lighter I carry Simms waders,my net, and a vest and I am hoping to be able to save the weight of wading boots by hiking in my new Korker Chromes they seem comfortable enough however I'm not sure on big mileage haven't tried them yet I have a Evernew 1.3 litre pot and I use a alcohol stove.

I will play around with some things here in the next few days and toss my pack on the postal scale and see what we got. I must say you sound like you know what your doing I'm impressed great list!

Crockett
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
So spotlight your pack and all your gear is about 10lbs and the other 25 lbs is extra alcohol for your "stove" hehe.

spotlight
01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Well add a MP3 player,saw, some extra clothes and it adds up, but yeah I always have enough stove fuel so to speak! You know this from past experience.

GrouseMan77
01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
6 Days 5 nights packing list:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/mactrout/packinglist1.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/mactrout/Packinglistsecondhalf.jpg

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT! :p

Just kidding! I like it.

Spotlight - I too am a fan of the soft cooler. When it warms up we may need to get a trip together...

Knothead
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Mac, I didn't see a generator and HDTV.;)

01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
The trick is to camp near or by someone else who carried in the extra luxury items (who is willing to share) you eliminated due to weight concerns. LOL

Lee

Mac
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Grannyknot - I take the Houdini only when there is not much chance for rain for the week. One or two days out of six at most. Any more bad weather forecast than that I move up on something with more protection meaning weighting more usually closer to 14oz.

Spotlight – I would love to have the Moment or Contrail tarptent for when I mights have to go to ground. Might have to ask for one of these for xmas next year.

GrouseMan77 – Nerd maybe, my wife says OCD for sure. Way too much time this winter and Duck hunting season is almost over. February is really going to get long.:p

Knothead – I had that on my list - IPhone4, includes GPS with USGS Mapping, Camera, Video Camera, backup flashlight, WebMD app – just in case, Podcast, Movies, Music, Knot tying guide app, and a Fly fishing game app. :rolleyes:

501 – extra items, that is why I take by younger bigger brother on all my backcountry trips. :cool:

It’s not a passion it’s an obsession , glad everyone has enjoyed my list. :biggrin:

Rog 1
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Most of my backcountry trips are around 4 miles one way...idea is to set up a base camp to fish surrounding area without having to walk in and out every day to get to different water...trip in is always energized with anticipation which allows for little extra weight usually in the food and drink areas...I enjoy breakfast and dinners in camp and don't scrimp on these comforts...always end up with a lighter load going out which is also downhill....creature comforts at my age will usually outweigh the extra weight for a short time.

01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Mac
Having hiked extensively I have been thru ruthlessly lightweight gear and been
grossly overburdened by too much gear. Generally, I go as light as possible on
longer hike only trips but tend to sneak in more creature comfort items for shorter, less mileage trips. Also, I have a 6'4 son (who tells me he is tough) who can double as a pack mule!

Lee