View Full Version : Gheenoe?

01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Anyone with experience with a Gheenoe?
How are they for lake fishing with a small outboard on the rear? Stable enough for kids? Get swamped when a speedboat goes by and the wake hits?

01-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Basically the same as a canoe with a squared back end....I really think they are only suited for a one-man operation. Some will differ; but, I will guaranteed you that I would never take out any children in one.

01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Stable enough for kids? Get swamped when a speedboat goes by and the wake hits?

They make custom Gheenoes for the bigger water($$$$$$), i wouldn't take a standard model to the lake if you gave it to me:eek:
I have spent many a day in one on the Caney, got close to the dam one day under generation, that was scary.
For normal use away from turbulent water or waves, they're fine.

01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
There's a bunch of video's on YouTube with guys running these boats all over, including on lakes. One video shows a guy with 2 kids on his and they stand almost the whole time.
Interesting boats, and doing a little research on the web, they almost seem to have a cult-like following. Many guys swear by them.
I wonder if the Gheenoe is a better choice than a flat-bottom jon? Smaller jons worry me on bigger water as well, with the low sides. The Gheenoe has taller gunwales and seems maybe a better choice?

01-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Had a 15'4" Highsider that I just sold. I took that thing everywhere, but wouldn't recommend it with kids. It was much more stable than a canoe but still tippy. Also have to be extra careful on the tailwaters due to the fiberglass.

There is quite a bit of variance between Gheenoe models. If you're considering having kids along, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than the Classic. The Low Tide 25 would be best, but it's a bit pricey. The build quality is excellent.

01-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks, DHC.
No tailwater fishing planned from a Gheenoe. I have an Outcast PAC boat for that. Considering a Gheenoe for area lakes....poking around coves and banks with my daughter, throwing flies for bluegills and such.

01-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Darrin, I have my gheenoe (riverhawk)13' for sale. Got a couple different motor options for it. I have pictures over on SEFFF in the classifieds. Feel free to schedule a test ride in it, then we can take out the pontoons afterwards on the hiwassee.

02-02-2011, 03:35 AM
That sounds like a fun day, Blake.
If I can ever get some time off work, maybe we can work something out sometime soon.