PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a Mentor

Jim Casada
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Since I've come to view participants on this forum as a sort of extended fishing family, I wanted to share news of my father's passing this past weekend. He was 101 years of age, passed peacefully and relatively pain-free, and was in possession of his mental faculties right to the end. I was participating in the Fly Fishing Show in Raleigh when word reached me, and somehow I think he would have liked the fact that pursuit of my consuming passion coincided with his passing.

I owe his a lasting debt of gratitude for a lot of things, not the least of which was introducing me to the wonderful world of the outdoors. He allowed me to venture out on streams (mainly Deep Creek and Indian Creek) from the age of 12. That is something which would certainly not happen in today's world. He marveled at the fact that what he styled my "marvelously misspent" life hunting and fishing could actually provide a source of income, modest though it may be, and took quiet pride in the fact that his son had fished for trout in so many parts of the world. He was also a link to the past, having known Fred Hall, the great old-time fly tyer, quite well and Frank Young even better; having fished with mountains icons like Levi Haines and Alvin "Little Man" Miller; having accompanied Mark Cathey on one of his last fishing trips; having grown up on the headwaters of Juneywhank Branch in what is now the Park; and much more.

I plan to recognize his contributions and celebrate his life, as will my brother, in a service on Saturday. Afterward, weather permitting, those of us in the family who are physically able will bushwhack to the old home place above Juneywhank Falls, pause to ponder his life, and drink a toast to him from the old spring which is still rocked in as it was a century ago. Come spring, I'll take his old South Bend Tonkin cane rod and cast in his favorite pool in Deep Creek. I may or may not catch a trout, but I'll guarantee I will hook and land some memories.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

silvercreek
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Terribly sorry to hear of this. God bless. Regards, Silvercreek

NDuncan
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers with your family this week.

GrouseMan77
02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I will keep your family in my prayers.

fishingman62
02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
sorry to hear about your loss jim....prayers will be with you and your family...
dan

ifish4wildtrout
02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I am sorry for your loss. God bless.

JoeFred
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Jim, yours and Don's being such diligent caregivers in your father's last months speaks volumes about your love for the gentleman. Sadly, many elders are not afforded such caring and sacrifice. My prayers are with you and your family.

JF

Stana Claus
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
My deepest condolences to you and your family. You are all in my prayers. And what a wonderful way to honor your father's legacy.

donwinn
02-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Jim,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like you have much more than a 101 great memories. I am glad you had that much time to enjoy your dad's friendship. My dad died at 69, but I have great memories as well. I know you will always celebrate his life.

Plunker
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Mr. Jim,
My condolences in your loss....

Take comfort in the fact that your Father is Fishing in some pretty good Trophy waters about now, with the Finest Fishing Guide there will ever be.

Prayers for your family.
God Bless

Dancing Bear
02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Mr. Casada,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure those memories will be a source of inspiration and comfort to you for a long time to come. You and your family are in our prayers.

Mike

jeffnles1
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Jim,
Sorry about your family's loss. It sounds like your dad led a full and robust life. Whenever a loved one passes, we tend to think of things that could have been different, but it sounds as if you have a lot of wonderful memories of your dad and through those memories you treasure and those you pass to your children, family and or friends, your dad will live on.

Jeff

MadisonBoats
02-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow! 101 is amazing and oh how you can celebrate knowing that he was blessed with so many years on this world. Jim I am sorry that you have lost the physical connection with your father. However; he is always with you and in the memories and hearts of others!

Blessings,
SM

flyman
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Jim,
I'm so sorry that I was right across the isle from you this weekend and didn't have any idea. While I would certainly morn the loss of him, the life that your father lived is to be envied and celebrated. Prayers go out to you and your family for your loss. "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, and love leaves a memory no one can steal" old Irish saying.

JayB
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
sorry to hear of your loss Jim. You have been blessed with a great father, and the memorial you described sounds like a very fitting tribute to him.

flyguys
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Mr. Jim, So sorry for your loss. Sorry does not seem to be much, but please accept our condolenses. It seems that you have figured out a fitting tribute to your father. No matter what your age, a man truely never grows up until he loses his father. He raised a fine son! flyguys.

pmike
02-02-2011, 08:25 AM
My thoughts and prayers for the Lord's comfort for you and the family. Your Dad sounds like a fine man from what you have shared and i am sure he will be missed. My prayer is that the good memories of your past with him and the future hope of the eternal and heavenly reunion with those that have preceded us who know Jesus, will outshine and eclipse the present grief of your Dad's having passed!

God Bless,
Mike

Grannyknot
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Very sorry Jim. Deepest condolences.

mattblick
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Sorry for your loss Jim. I will pray for you and your family.

-Matt-

Crockett
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Jim I am sorry to hear that. You and Don and your family will be in my prayers. Your Dad was a very lucky man to have sons like you guys.

caught 108
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Prayers are sent Sorry about your loss.

Rog 1
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Jim...So sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I have enjoyed reading of your family's history in and around the Park and know that your father must have played a great part in who you are. Prayers are sent to you and your family...God Bless.

TNBigBore
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Jim. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Neal B

fishhead
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Jim,
Sorry for your loss. My condolensces to you and your family.
Eric

jross
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
as someone already said, WOW! 101 years. That's amazing.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Birdman
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
May the Lord give you and your family peace beyond all understanding during this time. You and yours will be in my family's prayers.

-Birdman

DarrinG
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Very sad to hear of your family's loss. May God grant peace to you during this time.

BlueRaiderFan
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Mr. Casada,

Sorry to hear it. 101 though...what a run!

tntom
02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Jim, so verry sory to hear of your loss. Great Dads are not easy to find today. It's verry sad to loose one at any age.

Tom

Owl
02-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Jim. It sounds as if he had a full life, and obviously from your post he was well loved by his family.

old tom
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Sorry for your loss, Jim. I know you'll miss him. I hope you don't mind me posting this - here's a link to his obituary in the local Bryson City weekly newspaper. http://www.thesmokymountaintimes.com/articles/2011/02/02/obituaries/obits07.txt

Noonan
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
My deepest condolences for your loss. Quite a touching tribute you have planned. I am sure he will feel honored.

John

Jim Casada
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Old Tom and all of you who have so graciously and thoughtfully posted condolences--All I can say is a simple thank you. Old Tom, I wrote the obituary notice so obviously I don't mind you posting it. Again, thanks to each and every one of you.
Jim Casada

Barbara
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
My deepest sympathy to you and your family. It is so hard to lose a parent.

fishermen00
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry for your loss Jim.

whitefeather
02-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Jim,

My condolences on the passing of your father. I will keep you and family in my prayers. Would you honor him in this way, also? Pass along to us here on the forum some of your favorite fishing stories with your father, if you choose and when you find it appropriate.

Whitefeather

highpockets
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
May he rest in peace in Gods hands.

Knothead
02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Carolina Kudzu
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry to learn of your loss Jim. My prayers are with you and your family.

Knik
02-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Sorry for your loss Jim, sure hate to hear the news. You are a very fortunate person to have had a father as he and had that many years to enjoy his company. You and your family are in my prayers.

Ky Tim
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Jim, I am a little late seeing this. I am sorry for your loss and prayers sent up for your family.

flybum62
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Your family is in our prayers. 101, wow! Just think of all the history that your dad saw and was involved with.