PDA

View Full Version : First time to the Holston tailwaters

ukfb1
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Boy did I get an education. Went Sat. with a guide out of Abington VA. Without his help its hard telling what the trip would have been. I have never fished that type of water before. Had a good day with about 20 on the hook and about a dozen to hand. The brown trout sure are something to look at. Went back on Sunday and the river was packed, the section I was on, I could not figure out. In being a novice to his type of water, my drift was not right or the offering I selected was not to there liking. Had a great time but a little more education of fishing that type of water is in store for me.

MadisonBoats
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Tailwaters are a complete different animal when it comes to fly fishing. You have to be very still and make selective casts. Focus on presenting your fly to a target area with calculated casts and drifts.

Corbo
02-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I love tailwaters.... in fact I prefer them for many reasons not the least of which is that the water runs clear even after a big storm.... only negative is generating flows that push you outta the water but that sure beats storm run off that can keep you out of a river for several days.

Bottom conditions are generally better too; There is nothing "free" about "freestone streams".... you have to pay.... with falls, smashed feet, sore knees and the pleasure of wading on a bottom covered with mossy basketballs.

Water temperatures are more consistent in tailwater and that makes the hatch more predictable too.

Also fewer train wrecks with leaders hung in a tree.

ukfb1
02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I love tailwaters.... in fact I prefer them for many reasons not the least of which is that the water runs clear even after a big storm.... only negative is generating flows that push you outta the water but that sure beats storm run off that can keep you out of a river for several days.

Bottom conditions are generally better too; There is nothing "free" about "freestone streams".... you have to pay.... with falls, smashed feet, sore knees and the pleasure of wading on a bottom covered with mossy basketballs.

Water temperatures are more consistent in tailwater and that makes the hatch more predictable too.

Also fewer train wrecks with leaders hung in a tree.

Yea, I loved the bottom for wading and lack of trees getting in the way of a novice caster (i still got got in the weeds a few times). If you don't care what are your go to midges.

Corbo
02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I've only fished it a couple times.... and that was a few months ago when there were sulpher hatches.

Look up South Holston fly shop's website for appropriate flies. I caught plenty of fish on a black bead zebra midge and parachute sulphers but the hatch now is a size 20 BWO.... Hear they are doing best with size 20 CDC BWO

I'm on a tight schedule remodeling a home in G-burg otherwise I would be there this weekend.