PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations near Dillon Montana for August

TNBigBore
02-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Some friends and I are flying into Bozeman, MT in late August for a week of fishing. We have a free place to stay in Dillon so it looks like we will be trying some new water this year. Does anyone have recommendations for small to medium sized streams/rivers that don't get a lot of pressure and might fish well in late summer? We are going to spend a couple of days trying the Big Hole and Beaverhead, but don't want to fight the crowds the whole week.

Some quick internet research has me looking toward the Wise River and surrounding Pioneer Mountains (for possible high country lake fishing as well). The upper Ruby River and Rock Creek both look promising too. Thanks in advance for your help.

Neal B

Heavynets
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
A friend and I had some very good fishing in the Gallatin just outside of Bozeman. And I mean JUST outside. I forget which fork it was.

narcodog
02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
On the Big Hole your going to be surprised at the lack of fishing competition. The Ruby is nice but access is very limited.

TNBigBore
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
On the Big Hole your going to be surprised at the lack of fishing competition. The Ruby is nice but access is very limited.

Good to hear about the Big Hole. I was actually thinking of the section of the Ruby near the headwaters in the National Forest. I had heard it had good access there.

mstone
02-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Get you a map and look up Big Sheep Creek, which is south of Dillon I believe. A local told me about it years ago. I never had the chance to fish it . Would like yo hear about it if you try it. One of the local shops could tell you more about it. If you don't mind paying a rod fee, try Mccoys Spring creek, just north of town. It has two beats, with only two anglers per beat a day. Nice!

WVBrookie
02-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Get you a map and look up Big Sheep Creek, which is south of Dillon I believe.

I've fished Big Sheep and highly recommend it! Two very distinct sections, the willow section (look for a small park) and upstream from that is a meadow section. It's been since 2002 when I was there, so the distance from the interstate is a little fuzzy, but we fished for a few hours in the willows and only ended up 100 yards from the vehicle...it snakes through the willows a bit. :biggrin:

A mile or so above this section is a meadow section before you get to private property. The stream here was like a spring creek with dense, flowing aquatic grasses. Both sections fished great.

Chris

gmreeves
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Tie on a hopper and use your fly rod as a divining stick and you are bound to catch fish in Montana during August. Have fun and post a report for the rest of us who are jealous of your trip.

TNBigBore
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I have fished MT, WY, ID a good bit before, but never around the Dillon area. I am actually starting to get strong pressure from the other group members to head east and hit Slough Creek and the Beartooths instead. I have fished that area a couple of times already, but they have not. Oh well, it is hard to go wrong in that part of the country. I can think of worse ways to spend a few days in August than fishing the third meadow of Slough Creek and then half a dozen remote lakes in the backcountry of the Beartooths.