PDA

View Full Version : question

lauxier
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm 60 years old.Have noticed I have been having a problem sighting fish(I was a pretty good sighter at one time)..Is there a tint of polarized sunglasses considered advantageous for sight-location of trout in streams???

No Hackle
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I like amber for the park and tailwaters. If it's very bright grey.
Lynn

GrouseMan77
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I like amber for the park and tailwaters. If it's very bright grey.
Lynn

Amber is by far the best color I have found for the park.

BlueRaiderFan
02-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I've read about using yellow for shady areas like most of the park but I don't scout that much and am not certain if it works.

kentuckytroutbum
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
As a competitive rifle shooter, and fly flinger, I know that there has been a lot of research (by the NRA) regarding the most effective color for glasses and resulting eye acuity. That research has shown that yellow lenses (and amber) give the most contrast and allows the eye to identify and acquire objects in a very short period of time.

Bill

Trico
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I did a little checking and talked to some professionals who guide a lot and it seems dark amber and brown shades are very popular for fishing rivers. Also the eye wear by Smith optical was highly recommended. Needing prescription lenses I purchased some Fitovers in Amber. I really like the color. I am going to order a pair of prescription glasses from Smith Optical after my upcoming eye exam. Hope this helps.

MadisonBoats
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I did a little checking and talked to some professionals who guide a lot and it seems dark amber and brown shades are very popular for fishing rivers.....

Be careful about wearing these lenses in bright sunlight. Only use them in overcast and dark conditions. You can accidentally expose your eyes to sunburn. I have done this before and I had to see my optometrist.:redface:

Trico
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Madison boats, please don't confuse the dark amber I am talking about to those which are designed to cut haze. The ones I have are as dark as regular sun glasses but have a amber tint. Same with the brown lenses. I had some amber colored shooting glasses which would brighten things in hazy conditions, but were worthless for bright sunny conditions.

Rainbow Warrior
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I also agree with amber. The eye doctor I bought mine from in FL was a fellow fisherman. He said that the brown lenses are better for contrasting colors which makes it easier to spot fish. I got a pair of Maui Jims and they are great for spot fishing.

Corbo
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I like dark amber; but anytime I feel that I can get away without wearing shades they come off. As for perscription poloroid amber lenses... well mine went in the drink the very first time I wore them... now I take el cheapo dollar store 2.75's for tying on flies and replacing tippet and take two pairs along in the event they too fall in the drink..

I also have yellow polorized "shooting glasses" that are sometimes handy.

Knothead
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I use amber clip-ons, no matter what, except o'dark thirty. When I used to shoot competitive trap, some shooters had glasses with 8 or 10 lenses for different light situations to see the orange target clearer.