PDA

View Full Version : north carolina camping

kytroutbummin
02-09-2011, 11:29 PM
My fishing buddy and I normally fish the park streams and camp at little river. But, my friend has never fished the non park streams in nc. Generally if i'm hitting the nc delayed harvest streams getting to them from little river is a bit of a haul. I would normally stay a deep creek, but we are heading down in mid march and it wont be open yet. Sometimes I have stayed at the oak park inn in waynesville with the derby city guys, but when i am with my younger friends we like to camp. My question is can anyone reccommend a campsite or campground in nc outside the park or a backcountry site that is close enough to walk to the cars everyday? Maybe on the davidson or possibly the indian reservation. Pretty scenery means more than good fishing. We will be probably be fishing west fork of the pigeon, the tuck, shelton-laurel creek, davidson, natahala, etc. I know the fly shop on the davidson has some private water, if anyone knows of any private water/campsites/cabins it would be a huge plus.

Grannyknot
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Have you looked into the Davidson River campground?
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Davidson_River_Nc/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70204&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

old tom
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
If you want to stay in the Park, Smokemont is open year-round.

02-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Kytroutbummin,
There are two national forest campgrounds(can't remember their names) off NC 28 between Fontana and the Nantahala River that might be convenient to the Nantahala area. Don't recall whether they are year round or not but might be worth looking into. Post here if you can't find them and I'll get the info to you.

Lee