PDA

View Full Version : Kauny Fawk

BlueRaiderFan
02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Fished about three hours...got five rises and caught one 16in bow. Spent about an hour in the wrong area before I realized it and moved and got a little attention from the feeshes on streamers. Cold as **** but nice to get out of the big city.

JoelO
02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I went Sunday afternoon. Caught a few, lost a few. All were decent size except for one recent stocker. Even caught a brown with the beginnings of a kipe jaw...pretty cool. All on midges, various colors...getting them to the right depth in the feeding lanes seemed to be more important than color. It was almost elbow to elbow around the dam....darn nice weather.

BlueRaiderFan
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the **** is nice but just too crowded...even down at the steps. I think it's time to get a canoe. I thought about going to midges but did so well with streamers/soft hackles last time that I stuck with them. I have a one track mind sometimes :redface:

Middle TN Lee
02-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Yea I saw the circus going on below the dam so I decided to take a pass.

BlueRaiderFan
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I hear ya. I wish there were more wade access areas.

gutshot
02-16-2011, 11:27 PM
I hear ya. I wish there were more wade access areas.

What do you mean? You can wade the entire upper river with the exception of a small stretch above Betty's island.

Good reports on weed growth and catch rates right now. Sounds like the slot is working very nicely.

David Knapp
02-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Good reports on weed growth and catch rates right now. Sounds like the slot is working very nicely.

The weed growth was something I really noticed this past weekend. Despite the fairly constant generation, it hasn't been too heavy yet this year to significantly scour the riverbed. Right now the weedbeds are growing and the potential for the rest of this year is great!

highpockets
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
It just donned on me ware yew guise are talking about

David Knapp
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Terrible place to fish unfortunately...

spotlight
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I fished there once and didn't do so well I gotta lot to learn bout them tail waters!

David Knapp
02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
I fished there once and didn't do so well I gotta lot to learn bout them tail waters!

Give me a holler when you get a chance to head this way and I'll show you around...

BlueRaiderFan
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
What do you mean? You can wade the entire upper river with the exception of a small stretch above Betty's island.

I'm only 5'8"...there were definitely some sketchy spots at the flows that I found as of this report. By the time the water got down to where I could wade up river it was getting dark. Usually I only have an 1 1/2 to 2 hours before generation reaches HH to wade upstream and fish. If I could pull in a mile down and wade in it would help at that time of day. I know it won't happen. Just a thought.

BlueRaiderFan
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Ha ha! I have resorted to using "Appalachian Code" to hide the reports from the search engines! :biggrin:

GrouseMan77
02-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Ha ha! I have resorted to using "Appalachian Code" to hide the reports from the search engines! :biggrin:

Appalachia doesn't include New Jorisey. :cool:

BlueRaiderFan
02-19-2011, 03:43 AM
It was supposed to be a speech impediment :rolleyes:

GrouseMan77
02-19-2011, 07:45 AM
It was supposed to be a speech impediment :rolleyes:

A speech impediment from New Jorisey? :p

gutshot
02-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Quit picking on the short bus kid.

I still don't understand what his height has to do with wading in mostly 6" to 1' deep water.....

BlueRaiderFan
02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Don't know what area of HH you wade in but I went up the river with a friend and we both had problems as there were deep holes in spots all along it...not to mention downed trees etc. The water is low an hour before generation but that's about it.

BlueRaiderFan
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM

It's not a Jersey accent! :p

Streamhound
02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a Jersey accent !

BlueRaiderFan
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
*sigh* (sometimes I hate this place)

highpockets
02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Nope, pure Tennessee sommer-talk. See, round he'er it gits dam haut in da sommer. So haut that we start talkin reel sloow. It jus seems to curry oe'r into wan'tur.

u Jarsee bohs jus drive Norfwest a while, ul hit Appalachia. ****, yall da ones who come dawn heer and creeated the dang thang.

gutshot
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Neither of you are Samuel Clemens and we will leave it at that.....

BlueRaiderFan
02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah, but I did build a raft and it's ready to float...

highpockets
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
More of a Rick Bragg fan myself ;-)

kentuckytroutbum
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but I did build a raft and it's ready to float...

My apologies to the Doobie Brothers (Black Water).

BlueRaiderFan
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Huck Finn built a raft too :biggrin:

kentuckytroutbum
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Huck Finn built a raft too :biggrin:

Blue Raider-

You're correct also. Now they want to re-write Huck Finn to eliminate the N-word. (according to a recent article in the Louisville Courier-Journal, A Gannett owned newspaper). Good Grief! Next thing they'll want to revise the history books to say what ever they want. I believe it called revisionist history!

Oh yes, the Confederate Air Force is now the Commemorative Air Force. They're still flying WWII Aircraft but when will that change? :rolleyes:

Bill

GrouseMan77
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Quit picking on the short bus kid.

I still don't understand what his height has to do with wading in mostly 6" to 1' deep water.....

I almost missed this. BRF better make sure his water wings don't leak.

gutshot
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
I almost missed this. BRF better make sure his water wings don't leak.

I quickly discerned from reading his responses that I could not get him to understand that he should cast to the deep spots, not stand in them.

Yes, water wings.

GrouseMan77
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I quickly discerned from reading his responses that I could not get him to understand that he should cast to the deep spots, not stand in them.

No wonder folks complain about the Kauny Fawk being down. :rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Yes, water wings.

There is no way that I have found to wade upstream if the flows are too high. Flow determines how long I have to wait until it's possible to wade safely upstream. When flows are high I have found no effective way to wade upstream that I would consider safe or worth the effort and yes I have tried it and know from personal experience. I suppose I could just arbitrarily cast to deep pools but I have a few runs scouted out that I like to wade to. Hope that clears it up for you.

BlueRaiderFan
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
No wonder folks complain about the Kauny Fawk being down. :rolleyes:

Yes stay away...it's a terrible place to fish.

GrouseMan77
02-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Yes stay away...it's a terrible place to fish.

Just giving you a hard time. I couldn't fish the Kauny Fawk if I wanted to. Can't find it on any map that I own.

On a side note...aren't you near the Caney Fork?

BlueRaiderFan
02-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah about 55 minutes out and about 1.5 from the Elk. I almost always fish one of the two except when I go to the Smokies. There are a few other places I could go but I still haven't completely explored those two.