PDA

View Full Version : "Uncle" Mark Cathey

Jim Casada
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Those of you interested in the history of angling in the Smokies, especially in the pre-Park era, will likely recognize the name Mark Cathey. Thanks to his innovative techniques and pioneering use of the dry fly in the Smokies, as well as the fact that he was a genuine character, he is something of a legend among early anglers in this part of the world.

I've studied his life in some detail, and today's edition of the Tuck Reader (www.tuckreader.com (http://www.tuckreader.com)) you will find the first of a series of columns devoted to "Uncle Mark." I will also, as we head towards spring, be making contributions on other WNC fly fishing or fly tying icons.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

whitefeather
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Jim,

I enjoyed your article in the Tuck Reader on "Uncle Mark", especially the old recording of him describing the bear hunt! Perhaps you'll tell me how it ended?

I was caught up in his vernacular as it is very similar to the "mountain talk" of the older generation (before mine) here in my neck of the woods.

Sounds just like old Birch Monroe, brother of Bill Monroe of bluegrass fame. Old Birch would tell stories of mountain life while he held his fiddle, he'd talk a little bit, then play a little bit, and then talk some more. I miss those old guys, they were just fascinating story tellers.

02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Jim,
Great article! He reminds me of the gentlement, 25 years my senior, who took a cocky bass fisherman (me) under his wing and taught him how to fly fish for trout. Mark is that type of guy and I wish I could have known him. By the way, while I don't get to Deep Creek/Indian Creek very often could you give general directions to the Caffey hole? I would consider myself honored to have fished in the footsteps of this great smokies gentleman.

Lee

flyman
02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Nice work Jim, interesting story about one of the real legends of the region. I have been to his grave, but like 501 I would love to know about where the old home site was. I am looking forward to the series, and I hope to learn more about some of the legends of the region.

I would love to see some old photos included in your articles or post here.

pmike
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Enjoyed the article and looking forward to the next segment.

Mike

Mundele
02-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Great article. I also enjoyed the recording.

FishNHunt
02-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Jim. I really enjoyed the “musings” of “Uncle Mark” and am patiently waiting for your next “musing”.

On a side not, could you tell me where the Cables’ and Blevins’ home places were? I thought that I knew but, I keep reading contradicting articles about the exact locations.

One more question and I will stop hijacking your thread. Who were the two brothers that lived in the “Slick Rock” creek (Calderwood) area? I would like to find out more about them. If you know of any books or articles that may include them would you please let me know?

Thanks

Danny.