PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Downtown Columbia, SC

Rog 1
02-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Visited my brother in Columbia, SC this past weekend and he took us for a walk along the river trail across from downtown area....this area of the river has a lot of shoals and fishy looking runs...immediately started thinking about casting stream flies to some of these runs...my brother only recently moved there and had no idea about any fishing there....I was wondering if anyone here has tried fishing this area and if so either post some information about how and what to fish for or give me some idea of where to go search out some information about this area....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

wizard
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
which river? i grew up in camden, 20 miles away and have fished (including on the fly) in all of them.

Rog 1
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I believe the one I was walking beside is the Congaree River

wizard
02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Rog, try the broad, behind the "adluh" flour plant; spring stripers spawn through that area in late march and practically all of april. best bets for fly rod are LARGE streamers such as clauser's, white on white on white on white... sometimes a small strip of red in the center can help. i've caught some going 20ish lbs in that area, so don't throw your 4 wt! i used my 8 wt. redfish rod for a long time, worked great. use a 7 for more fun cause most of the fish run in the 3-7 lb range as an average. also, foam head poppers, white with a red nose, white tail, and some silver glitter on the head (i used my wifes silver glitter nail polish). on a spinning/baitcasting rod, throw the old tried and true bucktails with a curly tail added on, white with a chartruese curly, or for topwater, throw a "striper swiper". they look simple and cheap, but they work! the red head seems to fish better than the blue. HAVE FUN! also, behind the river banks zoo is a several mile stretch that BELIEVE IT OR NOT! has trout! there are several cold water springs coming in from the ground, and it supports enough cool water to provide trout water. there isn't many, but they ARE there. only place in the world i know of that is "warm water" but has a trout stretch! this is NOT a rumor; i've caught them personally.

wizard
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
oh and by the way, the congaree stripers spawn the same time; they are smaller than the broad stripers, but they are plentiful. FAST water is the key, with some depth. they will only lay eggs in SWIFT water, due to the fact that their eggs have to tumble for long distances to remain fertile. early spawn you can wade more sucessfully as they are on the move so you can stay put and they will be working their way around the water and will come to YOU. later on, once they are set in their spawning, they will not move much once they find a place they like; so a float trip or MOVING a lot is the best tactic. if you find one, hit that whole area HARD; they are never alone this time of year! you find one, you find a school; they are usually around similar size to the one you caught, so if it's small, most will be, and if it's a nice one, they will most likely all be good fish!

Rog 1
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Wizard...thanks for the information. Have not had a chance to revisit my post on this question lately but my brother saw it and let me know about your reply. This has him all excited since he is retired and can fish every day if he wants after his honey do list is complete. May have to try and get back up there this spring now that my fishing instincts have been proven correct. Again, thanks for the input....greatly appreciated.