PDA

View Full Version : Essential Gear

Bubbatn
02-23-2011, 08:53 AM
So i've finally got me a descent fly rod outfit(TFO Series One 8'6 6wt, and a Hobbs Creek reel). And i've also got me a few extra leaders, tippet, fly box and an assortment of recommended flies. I know a set of hemostats and line nippers will be needed too.(i'll probably be wearing those on a lanyard)

So now i'm sure there will be a few other necessities that i'll need. So what would those be? So what else would everyone recommend for a beginning fly fisherman? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Heavynets
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Polarized sunglasses, camera, toilet paper, energy bar, sunscreen, strike indicators, lead-free shot, floatant, and a note pad to write down what else to bring next time.

BIGBR
02-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I agree strongly about the polarized sunglasses. Also I assume you already have wadders but if not I would go with the rule "buy nice or buy twice". In my oppinion it's hard to put a price on comfort. Other gear that i think goes unnoticed is shirts, hats, or anything on your body that a fish can see. Go with darker colors like olive green or brown. You can't catch a fish thats been spoked and tucked under a rock in fear for its life. Good luck starting out. What river will you be most often fishing?

Bubbatn
02-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree strongly about the polarized sunglasses. Also I assume you already have wadders but if not I would go with the rule "buy nice or buy twice". In my oppinion it's hard to put a price on comfort. Other gear that i think goes unnoticed is shirts, hats, or anything on your body that a fish can see. Go with darker colors like olive green or brown. You can't catch a fish thats been spoked and tucked under a rock in fear for its life. Good luck starting out. What river will you be most often fishing?

Yeah, I guess I should state i'm not new to fishing, i've waded/floated rivers quite abit for the past few years. I'm just new to the fly fishing side of things. I already wear polarized sunglasses everytime I go fishing, so thats covered. And when i'm going to be wading, I try to be aware of what clothing i'm wearing, so I don't go out wearing a bright white shirt or something. I also already got the waders covered.

BTW, I've seen split shots mentioned quite abit, when exactly are those used?

I will probably start out fishing the Clinch and possibly the Holston(below Cherokee), but i'm never against making a road trip to try out new waters. :) There is also a couple warmwater "winter stocked" streams here close, so I might try to scout out a few of those as well.

MadisonBoats
02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree with all of the others posts! Get some waders and boots too!

-you should get a leader straightener too. You will learn how to use it correctly and with the correct tension.

-dry fly petroleum http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/accessories/floatant/floatgink.jpgis a must for the initial application to your dry fly

and then you silica powder http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/accessories/floatant/loonblueribbon.jpgto reestablish its floating ability when needed.

You should get a net too...I would recommend a gel or ghost net if you can afford one. It will help you land and return the fish much more quickly than the line nets.

a net magnet lanyard http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/accessories/other/magnetrelease.jpgis a must too; unless you want to be tripping over you net ever so often.:eek:

*Stay away from the push-pin retractable tool holders; they will rust/bend and eventually fall in the river. Look for tool holders and items that are smooth and low profile so that your line will not snag on them.

**You should invest if a vest too! I like the William Joseph - Magnetic Series of vests. They are easy to open and they do not have zippers that snag your line or tippet. This is my favorite vest they offer [Current] and it is reasonable priced at most shops.
http://www.williamjoseph.net/products/images/Prod_1_1.jpg