PDA

View Full Version : not a report! (til tommorrow!)... need advice on flies to take

wizard
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Taking off to hit the little river trail tommorrow, need advice and the "don't leave home without these" list for this time of year in that area. long time fly-guy but new to the area and to trout (read my new member post). Can't stand it any longer, and i'm going to throw the whip for a couple hours tommorrow. any advice from you regulars on fishing the trail this time of year and what must-have flies to take along and in what size? will post a full report on the day's events after returning tommorrow afternoon. any advice much appreciated. first ever trip to the higher waters for me, what should i expect?

Crockett
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
If it were me I would take a bead head pheasant tail size 16 if I could only take one fly. Maybe some little midges and quill gordon dry as Byron said on his report (yesterday I think). Good luck by the way. Are you new to the Townsend area?

ChemEAngler
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
They were taking #16 flashback pheasant tails with gusto last Saturday. I would start with that or a regular BHPT.

wizard
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
thanks to you both, those were on the list, but it's nice to know i was on the right track. Chem, were you on the LR trail? Crock, yes, i moved here in the last week of november, about a mile away from LRO (love it here now that it's warming up) and only just became a member on here a few days ago. (although i hit LRO on day 1 lol) I only recently discovered the forum... once again, thanks for the input, glad a few people were willing to help out the newcomer.

BlueRaiderFan
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Flashback hairs ear maybe?

Flyjunkie
02-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I fished Tremont today about a 1/4 mile up the gravel. I caught two nice bows on a BHPT #14 and two small guys on a Blue Quill Wet #16. Also tried a Blue Quill #16 Dry, Para. Adams, Klinkhammer Olive with an olive flashback hare's ear drop, and a black stimulator - none of these got any hits. It looked like there was a hatch of blue quills (though they could've been quill gordons) but no surface activity; I guess the water was still a little cold.

Got checked for my license and took a nice swim :eek: (just had to verify that the water was indeed cold).

wizard
02-23-2011, 08:36 PM
i've ALREADY gotten my new license for 2011 (don't wanna take any chances i'll forget) so i'm all set on the license front; I'll take your word for it on the cold water (i hope) and try to fight the urge to do a "skin check", although i can't find any wood to knock on so i'll just keep my fingers crossed. i figure i'll start the morning out with a PT, beaded or not depending on the lie, and maybe a zebra. after that, i'll just kinda see what the day throws at me, like any other i guess. Still new to this so i'm a rookie in a pro's game, but i'll let you all know about the trip after i get home. (with lots of luck, i'll maybe have a pic or two). takin the wife along to wet her VERY FIRST fly lines. i'd give a day full of nice fish comin' my way just to see her land a few! tight lines to all...

ChemEAngler
02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Chem, were you on the LR trail?

Nope, I fished a few places on west prong and Laurel Creek.

MadisonBoats
02-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I am not a big nymph fisherman. So; I would roll the dice and throw dry flies.

Griffiths Gnat
Any BiVisibles
Stimilators

No Hackle
02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I saw alot of early stones on the water Monday. I wouldn't be with out some 14 or 16 dark elk- hair caddis or the like. I caught my biggest fish on a dry MOnday, so their looking up.
Lynn

Grannyknot
02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I saw alot of early stones on the water Monday. I wouldn't be with out some 14 or 16 dark elk- hair caddis or the like. I caught my biggest fish on a dry MOnday, so their looking up.
Lynn

If you are going to take fly selection advice from anyone....don't overlook Lynn's advice.

Here is what I've been using all winter as a black stonefly imitation in #14. This is on a scud hook, so it looks more like a #16 in a standard nymph hook.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Flies/Stoneflies1-2-11001.jpg

Mundele
02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Now that's a killer-looking fly.

--Matt

wizard
02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
thank you to all who threw some advice my way! in case you missed the report, i didn't do so hot, but it was beautiful and I wouldn't trade a day knee deep in a mountain stream casting flies to "smarter than me" trout for anything, even if i don't catch anything. the peace and serenity i find out there is worth more than a mountain of fish. again, thanks to all who put their "two cents" in for my benefit!