PDA

View Full Version : Mono -2-Fluro leaders

BigMax
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
All,

here is the deal....i have always varied my line (mono, braid, fluro) when bass fishing but have always used mono leaders when fly fishing. This weekend i guess i had the epiphany that for fishing the little 18-22 zebras on the clinch i bet the mono floats the fly as well as being easier for the trout to see.

As it stands now i just got some 6X fluro tippit and a bunch of assorted fluro from bass fishing (2lb, 4lb, on up to 25lb test) so my question is what knot would u use to tie the leader your self? the tapered fluro leaders are like 10 bucks. i have no idea Blood knot? or the typical tippet knot ( i do not know the name)

Here is the other thought i have....

Id like to use a 9 ft 6X mono leader tie on a yarn indicator and somehow use a fluro tippet to the bead head...is this possible what knot would i use?

I know it has been discussed extensively on the board im not sure how to tie on a yarn indicator? i keep hearing "tie a loop" and this makes no sense so maybe im missing something anybody got a good illustration or video?

troutslayer3393
02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
When I use fluro, I use the same (Improved Clinch) knot that I do with mono. The only difference is that I dont wet the fluro before I sench it. It seems to slip if you do.

For attaching a seperate tippet to your leader...I know how to tie the knot and it is very easy to tie, but I dont know the name. Im sure others on the forum will know the exact name for it.

kentuckytroutbum
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I tie my tippet to the leader with a double surgeon's knot. Its easy to tie even if your hands are frozen in icy water. To tie on a yarn indicator, just form a loop in your leader, push it through the eye of the indicator, and pull back over the yarn eye. Basically a slip knot.

Bill

BIGBR
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree, the double surgeon's knot is what i almost always use. I used to use yard and other common things like that as a strike indicator, but now i almost always use a dry fly as my indicator. Start off with something you can see well. It looks more natural and also give you a chance at catching a fish. I have caught fish on some crazy looking dry flies that were there only as an indicator.

troutslayer3393
02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree with BIGBR...especially if you are fishing midges, you can get away with using small drys as indicators. For faster water, I have found that the thingamabobber-doodlydingles:biggrin: are less of a frustration than yarn.

psnapp
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
BigMax,

I and most of the people I fish with use 9' mono leaders and simply tie on about 3' of fluro tippet with a double surgeon's knot. That may be overkill as some folks simply use a 7 1/2' leader period, but I personally prefer a longer leader.

Phil

ChemEAngler
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
My typical Clinch setup is a 9' mono 5X tapered leader. To that I tie using a double surgeon's knot 3' of 6X fluoro tippet. Finally, I secure my tippet to fly using a Clinch knot.

BigMax
02-28-2011, 01:14 AM
thanks yall

the double surgens knot is what i have been using just didnt know is there was a special knot for the fluro