PDA

View Full Version : Regal vise?

BIGBR
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I've been looking at the regal medallion vise with the stainless steel midge jaws. Seeing some mixed reviews online. I don't want this for anything other than fast production of zebra midges, etc. Don't need rotary already have that covered with my renzetti. Have any of you guys ever used one or own one. How do the jaws hold up and do they break hooks often?

tennswede
03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I've got the Regal with the midge jaws. They hold a hook like nothing else. I also love the fact that there are no knobs to adjust. Just squeeze the lever. Couldn't be happier. As for production tying. Don't know how it will affect longevity, pretty confident that you will get your money's worth on it.

narcodog
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
When I was in West Yellowstone last year I attended a seminar put on by Bob Jacklin. He had nothing but great praise for the stainless jaws.

BIGBR
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'm prob gonna kick the tires a little bit longer but its nice to hear good things about it

flyman
03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
It would be nice if you could put your hands on one. I always like to check how my hands fit and rest on the vice. I would also like to see how much clearance (working room) the jaws had for the size hooks I was using. I think they only make the stainless jaws in one size.

BIGBR
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I finally got a chance to put hands on a regal vise today. I love the ease of operation and the clearance to work. It is also a very wide vise which gives good support to your "non threading" hand. The huge show stopper for me though is that if the hook is not placed far enough back into the jaws the vise becomes a slingshot for hooks. This didn't just happen once, it happened three times. My renzetti can hold a # 20 hook with only half of the hook shank in the jaws.

Heavynets
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I think an Anvil is the best for the money.

http://anvilusa.com/apex_fly_tying_vise.htm

beesandtrout
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I have not tried all possible vises (tisk, who could?) but I like the regal and have the medallion with regular and midge jaws. I somtimes forget I am tying an 18 with the regular and it still holds well. It is also very quick. I have one regal with fixed jaws and although I don't always use the full rotary - man, does it come in handy when you need to trim up undersides.

I would recommend you go to a shop, like little river oufitters and ask to try several to see what fits you and your style best.

Live long, fish and pollinate

Corbo
04-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I have been tying with a regal for many years and love it. When I got a small chip in the jaw they fixes it for free with new jaws. I have not tried the tiny one with the stainless though but find mine does fine on small hooks anyway.

I hate using any vise that requires adjustment for different hook diameters; with a regal I have tied from 6/0 stainless to size 24.