PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Sampling: Clinch River (2/26/11)

MadisonBoats
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I seined the Clinch Saturday and tried to get a few pictures of the aquatic life.

Air Temp: 50 Deg.
Water Temp: 48 Deg.

The adult midges were coming off rather large (~#18-20 hook).

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184973_10150160109088319_718858318_8196981_1851086 _n.jpg

The midge pupa I found were olive midges with lightly orange tufts on each end. They were typical in the size #20-22 hook range.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183294_10150160109018319_718858318_8196979_2335771 _n.jpg

As usual; there were plenty of scuds and these guys were averaging around size #12-16 hook range.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189531_10150160109108319_718858318_8196982_5691056 _n.jpg

Stana Claus
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Good info and nice pictures to boot. Thanks for posting it.

Trico
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Really great photos. You say the midge pupa were olive? Do they have a brownish tinge to them? I do not mean to bore anyone with these questions, but these midges have been giving me a fit trying to match everywhere I have been fishing. Thanks again for sharing these photos.

tnh2owader
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Great info, nice pictures, and Madison thanks for sharing.
I've never met you but always your post and hope to run into
you on the river someday.

God bless ya, tnh2owader:smile:

fourx
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice!
I'd like to see the scud against a rule. In my experience the scuds I'm seeing are #20's if not smaller. I've yet to have a successfull day scud fishing. Woven scuds, orange scuds, pink scuds, pearl scuds, big scuds, little scuds, I've tried 'em all.
On underwater video scuds seem to dart around like crazy and have a low mortality which makes a dead drift (to me) seem improbable. Twenty years ago I could watch large rainbow browse like cattle on bottom vegetation (in the weir pool) literally burrowing for scuds. Not anymore sadly.
Does anyone remember when the weir pool yielded nice fish all day (including a 28" bow caught by a friend)?
The weir pool is on the mend but will probably never see the glory days of at least 15yrs. ago.
On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire. I'm currently midgeing with a dirty tan thread body with a single strand of black thread for the rib and a nickle bead. Infinite combinations are possible but this is my "go to" bug. Oddly enough, the fish gobble purple threaded bodies as well.
There, my secrets out.
Thanks for the pics.

4X

MadisonBoats
02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
You say the midge pupa were olive? These midges are light olive with orange on each end.

Nice!
I'd like to see the scud against a rule. In my experience the scuds I'm seeing are #20's if not smaller. I've yet to have a successfull day scud fishing. Woven scuds, orange scuds, pink scuds, pearl scuds, big scuds, little scuds, I've tried 'em all.

Are you thinking of the cress bugs or scuds. The cress bugs are the small-rolly polly looking bugs. The scuds get quite larger. I saw a few the size of a nickel curled up.

Here are more pics.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183520_10150160438253319_718858318_8200632_4461517 _n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184240_10150160438293319_718858318_8200633_7636799 _n.jpg

ChemEAngler
02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice!

On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire.
4X

4X,

Ahhhh, the stripper midge. Love that little fly, just haven't had the success with it on the Clinch as the SoHo. Also, you comment about the scuds seems to be my experience as well. 15 years ago you could catch fish all year long on Dr. Emert's BH Hare Ball pattern :biggrin: or a #16 scud in gray or orange. Those were also the three most popular colors I was asked to tie back then too, so they were obviously the hot patterns. I can't remember the last time I caught a fish on the Clinch using a scud, and I fish in areas that scuds should have an obvious presence.

I too have been tying/fishing a version of a zebra midge sans wire rib, I have been using midge size clear tubing to rib with. Then I apply about 3 coats of clear fingernail polish, and the tubing gives it a unique segmented look but without the obvious protrusion you get with the wire. I tie these on TMC 2488 hooks size 16 to 22. Also, doing this and tying a small tuft of gray poly or CDC to the head makes a nice little buzzer pattern.

psnapp
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Shawn --- thanks for posting the pics ... that's good stuff.

Travis --- the stripper has been a very productive pattern for me and some others on the Clinch as well as the SoHo.

Phil

fourx
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Shawn- I was seeing scuds. Didn't sample too hard and often though.

Travis- Good idea. I reckon your fly's still skinny enough? I use flexament to get the
sheen and durablility.

2488's rule. I'd like my car tag to say "2488".
2457's miss fish!

I've mentioned this before on this board but it still amazes me the subtle differences in a simple midge pattern's appearance can fool a trout yet all of these flies have a comparatively large metal hook sticking out their arse! (?)

4X aka 2488

Corbo
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Trout obviously see the hook; they want to eat and don't think in negative values.

If it's in the right place at the right time and the color, size, shape, silloutte etc. create enough positive attributes they don't consider the hook.

Some fish might require three "positive indicators" to eat and other perhaps more. Few flies actually look like real bugs... BH midges don't look much like the real bugs... (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.

The negative values trout do consider are not so much in the fly but the fly fisher being sloppy; drag, lining, splash and walking about like you are leading a parade.

Everyone has hooked fish by accident.... meaning the trout ate when they should not have taken the fly..... like when a dry is skating across the surface.... sometimes there is no accounting for anything.... but I'm grateful.

MadisonBoats
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
.. (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.

? - Did I suggest something you were referring to...?

I agree with your post; I do not think you have to use the active (aquatic pattern) to catch fish. It just helps increase your efficiency. Plus; it is fun to tie different patterns.

One of my favorite tiers is Hugh Hartsell. I enjoy looking at his website and examining each of his flies. Each has a moment when it will excel and other moments when it would catch fish regularly. I like his variety and creativity and sometimes simplicity....

br549
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice!
On underwater video scuds seem to dart around like crazy and have a low mortality which makes a dead drift (to me) seem improbable. Twenty years ago I could watch large rainbow browse like cattle on bottom vegetation (in the weir pool) literally burrowing for scuds. Not anymore sadly.
Does anyone remember when the weir pool yielded nice fish all day (including a 28" bow caught by a friend)?
The weir pool is on the mend but will probably never see the glory days of at least 15yrs. ago.
On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire. I'm currently midgeing with a dirty tan thread body with a single strand of black thread for the rib and a nickle bead. Infinite combinations are possible but this is my "go to" bug. Oddly enough, the fish gobble purple threaded bodies as well.
There, my secrets out.
Thanks for the pics.

4X

I remember those days. The weir pool drained a whole lot drier back then. Trout would herd up like cattle feeding on those bugs.

Corbo
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Shawn Madison

YES, the actual bugs in your photos... IMO most beadhead midge look totally unlike real midges... the "typical" zebra has a tapered body, is not translucent and the wrong color will still actually catch trout.

I wonder what would happen if I fished a bead head midge that ONLY had a bead attached? Maybe they just like shiny stuff?

When folks don't catch fish it is easy to claim trout are fussy, particular, stubborn or just not hungry.

Personally I try to focus my attention on really big stupid fish that are partially blind.

silvercreek
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Check out this video of hatching midges that Highpocket posted a month or so ago. Notice how very bright the head is. I suspect that might be a trigger for trout.
http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/cutter_midge.aspx

fourx
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Check out this video of hatching midges that Highpocket posted a month or so ago. Notice how very bright the head is. I suspect that might be a trigger for trout.
http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/cutter_midge.aspx
I agree 100%! This bubble they ascend with looks eerily similar to a bead head to me.

4X

fourx
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Trout obviously see the hook; they want to eat and don't think in negative values.

If it's in the right place at the right time and the color, size, shape, silloutte etc. create enough positive attributes they don't consider the hook.

Some fish might require three "positive indicators" to eat and other perhaps more. Few flies actually look like real bugs... BH midges don't look much like the real bugs... (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.

The negative values trout do consider are not so much in the fly but the fly fisher being sloppy; drag, lining, splash and walking about like you are leading a parade.

Everyone has hooked fish by accident.... meaning the trout ate when they should not have taken the fly..... like when a dry is skating across the surface.... sometimes there is no accounting for anything.... but I'm grateful.
Dang, I hope you're right!

4X

JoelO
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I wonder if anybody has tried to tie a pattern with a bead head and a tail dangling from the hook rather than wound onto the hook. The dangling tail would mimic the swimming action of the midge a bit better....a tougher tie but it might be worth looking into.

MadisonBoats
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
May I suggest you fellas get a copy of The Underwater World Of Trout. It is very insightful and probably the best trout video I have in my collection.

If you are just trying to catch fish; then that is another story. Most fly fishermen tie the fly for the fly and enjoy playing the game of deception and attraction.:biggrin: