PDA

View Full Version : First Brookie for the Rookie

wizard
03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Put in a sink this morning as a side job, and had the kids this afternoon, so i only had about an hour and a half. once i got to the WP of LR, i only had about 30 minutes.turns out, that was long enough. as a rookie, i thought the brook trout were only much higher up the mountain, but i was WRONG. I was only just off of laurel creek rd., and caught two brookies. both were DEEP, in the last 1/3 of run. one took a stonefly, the other hit a hare's ear. missed two unknowns as well. here are some pics of my first brookies...
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/wizardref/P03-04-11_1435.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/wizardref/P03-04-11_1434.jpg

wizard
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
well apparently i didn't do the picture thing right... anyone shed some light on that?

2weightfavorite
03-04-2011, 10:16 PM
go to the message and board sectio of the forum. its at the bottom of the forum categories. There are directions thee how to post pics. I would love to see the pics, as that is very low to be catching brookies. Stranger thinngs have happened though!

whitefeather
03-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Wizard,

Congrats on the first brookies! They are such beautiful fish and kind of act a lot like browns past about ten or eleven inches, as in carnivores.

Big Bites=Big Fights!

Can't wait to see the pics!

ahighlan
03-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Hate to break it to you, but those are rainbows.

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Yep, those are little parr marked bows! :biggrin: Nice day in the park!

MadisonBoats
03-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Yep, those are little parr marked bows! :biggrin: Nice day in the park!

Glad you got a fish either way. The tail waters have been too high for me to fish and I would love to have been fishing in the mountains. Keep up the good work and you will get your brookie. One easy thing to remember is that the brook trout pattern is basically the inverse (light spots-dark background) of the brown/rainbow. At-least you are catching fish! Not bad for a rookie!

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I called my first park bow a "brown" :biggrin: Yeah, brookies/specs also have a white edge to their fins. No doubt a great day in the park. Two bows and by a rookie to the park...well done. ;)

Wizard, here is a pic of a brookie. They are easy to tell the difference once you've seen them a couple of times. Notice the yellow spots and the white edge to the fins;

http://hipwader.com/images/greenriverbrook.jpg

wizard
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
well, like i said, i'm a rookie! i've never seen rainbows like that; all i've ever caught are the typical silver, red striped, spotted rainbows. these were something ALL together different looking; but, at least NOW I KNOW!!! thanks, and forgive the rookie his mistakes! I can tell you about 300 different saltwater species by sub-category, but i'm new to the trout thing... oops!

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Ah no big deal :biggrin: I think most of us have made the same mistake. I wish I knew about fishing for other species but I mostly only know about trout and only a little bit at that. I barely know a few hatches ;) The park is great and we are lucky to live close enough to fish it. If you do want to catch a brookie or two head up above bridge 3 at the Chimneys ;)

wizard
03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
i'll do that; then i'll repost the whole "first brookie for the rookie" thing and try to get it right this time! i guess the park rainbows colors change as they grow up? or do they all keep that similar coloring? i've caught several 'bows in the park, but they didn't look like these two little guys; is it just the little ones?

pineman19
03-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Wizard,

Park bows get a crimson strip and cheeks when they are mature, after which they don't live much longer according to the Park fishery biologists. The average Bow in the Park lives to around 3-4 years at best.

Neal

flybum62
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Still a nice fish! I'm green with envy!

JohnH0802
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
You will get your first brookie, for now you will just have to bask in the glow of getting to fish, and catching some pretty bows. I am jealous.

gutshot
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice brook trout. Manna from heaven.....;)

Parr marks go away as the fish mature out of the parr stage.
But don't take my word for it.

http://www3.northern.edu/natsource/FISH/Rainbo1.htm

Paula Begley
03-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice trout, Wizard; it doesn't matter rainbow or brook, it's a beauty.

Thanks for posting it and thank you for your excitement.

Paula

Mundele
03-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I did the same thing at a back country campsite a few years ago. I had caught a little brown trout. I told another guy there I had caught a brookie. He informed me (in a not-very-polite way) that I hadn't. I didn't believe him until I did catch a brookie.

They're very different looking. longer, more slender body, the mouth looks different too. beautiful bows though. Anytime you can catch (especially this early in the year) they you're doing great.

I recommend Cataloochee above Campsite 39 (pretty hollow) if you want to catch brookies.