PDA

View Full Version : Bug-a-palooza

ChemEAngler
03-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I drove up Laurel Creek Rd today around 2:00 looking for somewhere to slip into the water, and was surprised to find a person fishing in about every pull out.

So, I went way up Laurel Creek, and got into a very significant hatch of blue quills in about a #17. Definitely wasn't a quill gordon; too small and exhibited the typical 3 forked tail of the blue quill. Wasn't a BWO as it was more of a reddish gray, and once again that 3 forked tail is not a characteristic of BWO's. Also had a couple of large early brown stoneflies land on my arm. They were probably a #12 or so. Saw a couple heads poking up taking dries in the shallow riffles, and managed to land one on a blue quill dry. Only managed to land one other one today, and it came on a #16 FBPT.

Water levels were fantastic, and got a water temp of 51 degrees around 3:30. Things are definitely looking up, tomorrow could be a phenomenal day if the rains don't blow things out. Middle prong and east prong were flowing a little high and fast still though.

Had to send my camera and lens in to get re-calibrated, so I had to depend on my dirt cheap point-n-shoot for today's photos. Unfortunately, because of this I was unable to get any real good quality photos of the blue quills, stonefly, or even the fish.

http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v22/p605107531-2.jpg
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v17/p716167223-2.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Headed up to Treemont to fish with my sister and brother in law today. Thanks for the info. Good to see a nice hatch come off. Now if we can just survive the weather that's headed this way. Still great pics, Chem.

MadisonBoats
03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Nice report Travis and great pics; even with your point and shoot setup.

buzzmcmanus
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Nice report. That's one of my go-to spots for a quick trip after work.

ChemEAngler
03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks everybody.

Nice report. That's one of my go-to spots for a quick trip after work.
Buzz,
The fish typically aren't very large, and neither is the water. However, the bows that are in there are generally quite cooperative. This Friday I hope to get an earlier start and fish some bigger water in another area of the park. I just hope the bugs and fish are eager to participate on this other stream. Plus just got a call that my camera and lens are in the mail and on their way back to me. So, I hope to get an opportunity to get some good fish/hatch/scenery photos.

Could not believe the crowds last Friday. Maybe this Friday, with the prediction showing it to be a not so beautiful day, will have some people sitting it out for the nice weekend weather.