PDA

View Full Version : 3-5-11

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow...what an afternoon. I stopped by the shop and got my brother in laws reel rigged up with backing and bought a few flies and said hello and headed to the park. We fished for about 3 1/2 hours and not a single bite. I finally added a piece of split shot to my leader and got my weighted nymph down to the bottom of a deep pool and caught my first fish of they day:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/downsized_0305011600a-1.jpg

After I caught this little guy, I cast back throught the same run and saw the biggest fish I've ever seen in the park take my fly. I don't know how big he was but he bent my 4wt double. He ran to the deep part at the head of the run and jumped twice. Then he decided to go down stream and took all of my line. My little ocean city reel just didn't give any line out and he jumped again, the line snapped and he was gone. My guess is it was around 18-20". At least I didn't get skunked and I saw a nice hatch:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/downsized_0305011307.jpg

2weightfavorite
03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
did you see any fish rising at all?? Remeber where that biggun was, chances are under the right conditions you'll get another crack at him!

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I didn't see any rises and both fish were "caught" down deep. I did see some VERY small stone flies and then the large may fly in the pic along with several like him but smaller. He was medium gray (dun) in body and wing and must have been a size 12 give or take. I did see one large trout stalking for dries at the edge of the water but after I watched him for a few seconds he saw me and took off. I'm going back tomorrow to the same area! :biggrin:

FishNHunt
03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Blue Raider Fan

Did you have a black toyota pull up above you when you were taking this picture? If so that was me.

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Ha! Yeah...I was trying to get one of those "artsy" in the water pics of the little one and then I saw you guys looking and felt foolish :biggrin: (I was using my cell phone so that's why lol). Right after you guys left I got the big one on and oh boy...WHAT a big one!

FishNHunt
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
I can't wait until my dad reads this post. He fished right threw that exact hole before I got there. I can't believe how great the river fished today. I can't wait to get back and fish it again in a few days.

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, my nymph was down real deep and he came out like a shot from the undercut bank. I am going back tomorrow to the same area but with my luck I'll get skunked :eek:

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I can't wait until my dad reads this post. He fished right threw that exact hole before I got there. I can't believe how great the river fished today. I can't wait to get back and fish it again in a few days.

That is pretty funny that he fished the exact hole though! (Sorry...I think I'm still in shock and didn't catch that earlier :biggrin:)

GrouseMan77
03-05-2011, 11:11 PM
My guess is it was around 18-20".

Take your tape measure tomorrow when you fish that same run.

BlueRaiderFan
03-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I doubt I need it. Probably won't get that chance again. You have to land 'em before you need the tape measure. :frown:

rbreedi1
03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Ah the big one that got away.. how boring fishing would be if it wasn't for times like these.

ChemEAngler
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
BRF,

An 18" fish is a rare jewel in the Smokies.

However, they do exist. If you have a chance to stop by LRO tomorrow, see if Ethan is around to show you the picture of his pig brown from last week.

steamnsteel
03-06-2011, 12:33 AM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/downsized_0305011307.jpg

I do think that those three trees look familiar and if so, then yes there is a BIG'Un there. Good luck cause I didn't get him in either.
Copy and paste from blueraiders post, not my pic.

pineman19
03-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the fishing report BRF. Nice to see someone out fishing and enjoying the Park.

Neal

BlueRaiderFan
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Ah the big one that got away.. how boring fishing would be if it wasn't for times like these.

No doubt. Why is it so hard to land those guys? Ah well...it was fun for a few seconds.

BlueRaiderFan
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
BRF,

An 18" fish is a rare jewel in the Smokies.

However, they do exist. If you have a chance to stop by LRO tomorrow, see if Ethan is around to show you the picture of his pig brown from last week.

Yeah, I had seen you catch some in the 16-18" range in previous posts and had heard from others that they were in there but I had never gotten into one until yesterday. I never thought I would see my 4wt bend like that while in the park! (and it was extremely bent) I'll check for that pic next time I'm in the shop...it's snowing right now though. I may not go today depending on the roads. :frown:

BlueRaiderFan
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I do think that those three trees look familiar and if so, then yes there is a BIG'Un there. Good luck cause I didn't get him in either.
Copy and paste from blueraiders post, not my pic.

I'll never tell :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
03-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the fishing report BRF. Nice to see someone out fishing and enjoying the Park.

Neal

Neal, you're welcome. I love fishing the park and wish I lived closer.

Dwayne

Bran
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Gotta love that! And I was fishing my 3 weight a lot last year! Shoot, I'd better drop back down, you never know.

BlueRaiderFan
03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, I don't think I'll be into that size of fish too often. I do have better odds these days as I am understanding more and more about where they are via observation and some dumb luck. I may get to post one in the next year or so depending on how many trips I can make to the park.