View Full Version : 3-5-11 also

03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
My dad called this morning wanting to fish the park. I was a little hesitant with the 3 inches of rain, high winds, and thunder storms that the weather man had predicted. (Itís the only job that one can fail at 90% of the time and still keep a job.) I am sure glad that they were wrong. I stopped in by the shop and left my usual deposit with Daniel and headed up. When I got there it was peppering a little rain but, the one thing the weather man hit was the wind. Wow, that was painful fishing a double nymph rig in that wind. Imagine my joy as I noticed a VERY active rise while untangling my line for the up teen time. I started to notice Quill Gordonís coming off so I switched to a #14 Blue Quill and set down behind a rock. I had my first taker, a small rainbow after only 2 drifts. My dad came around the corner and I excitedly told him to hurry and get in on the action. While he was tying on I told him that there was a nice brown feeding and then I put my next cast right where it needed to be. It was a picture perfect take and he stripped line heading towards the tail of the pool and put on a nice aerial display for us. I landed him a nice respectable 12-14 inch park brown. Dad however says that he wasnít THAT big. (He reads the message board but, doesnít contribute to it LOL!!) I do have pictures that I will post to this thread once I down load them (Monday) and let the jury decide. I would say that I left my dad the hole but, he was like a pig at the slop bucket and rooted me out. LOL! I waded across the river mainly to get out of his way and to watch. I saw another fish rise at the head of the run on my side of the river so I put the Quill in the run and another nice brown took it from the surface. He wasnít as big as the previous fish but still a nice brown to be hooked up with none the less. I started feeling bad so I left the spot altogether so dad could have a shot and I headed up stream. I didnít go far and saw another rise but, at this spot the wind was so terrible that I had to get all but on top of the run to get my fly in. I still managed to hook up with the 8-10 inch rainbow and put him to hand. I worked up stream for about 100 yards but, the hatch wasnít as prevalent the farther I went. I opted to return to see how dad was doing but, he hadnít faired as well. I took off my dry (so not to catch any more from ďhisĒ hole) and put on a LARGE stone nymph and Hareís Ear rig and weighted it down with enough weight to fish 40 foot deep. I had one fish give me a good tug on the line which felt rather heavy but, I canít say for sure what it was. We ended the day on a good note and headed back to the fly shop for some more Quill Gordonís and other stuff that dad needed.

Notes: The sun came out for a few minutes and that was when the action really heated up. Also, the fish that I caught were nice sized fish for what I am accustom to catching in the park. Could there be something more to it or is it just ďthatĒ time of year?

03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Man...I saw hatches but no rises. I even had my glasses on :biggrin: I may have to tie on a dry tomorrow. Thanks for the report.

03-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a great time, look forward to the pics.

03-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Good to hear the fish are getting active. I hope to get down that way next weekend. I have a feeling the lower streams will be busy if the weather is as predicted.