PDA

View Full Version : End of March

flybum62
03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I'll be on spring break the last week of March, what can I expect then? I like to fish the small waters in summer. Also, what to throw, nymphs, dries, etc.?:confused:

Crockett
03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
For me March has been dramatically better than Jan/Feb usually but that means instead of 2 fish a day I might get 3 times as many which still aint much lol. That being said May/June usually make March look like Jan/Feb those months just are incredible. Late March is a pretty good time to come though you could do worse. You will probably catch more on nymphs in late March but dries may be starting to warm up. You could try a March Brown or Para Adams with a BHPT dropper around that time. Seriously though the trout in the smokies will take green inch worms in the winter with gusto they aren't selective.

jross
03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
flybum62, Are you coming the 22nd week or the 28th week? Just curious, because I too will be on Spring Break from teaching the week of the 22nd. I've been going every year for 5(?) years. And every year I get a little better...and sometimes not.

I got a list of favorite streams that's where I start out and then add a new spot or two. In March, I'd get in no hurry to hit the water in the AM. Just sleep in, get good lunch and head out afterward. If it's sunny in the afternoon you can use a dry. If it's overcast, stick with underwater presentations. I don't like nymphing alone so I almost always use a dry/dropper combo.

Last year we were eating late breakfast in PForge while watching it SNOW!!! But in the afternoon I still managed to catch fish on dries and nymphs!:eek:

From reading on here and from personal experience the best fly selection is dark mayfly patterns in like size 12-18, and any good nymph pattern.

Aside from that, just hope you catch a warm front that week!!!:biggrin:

flybum62
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Jross,
The week of the 28th. I live on the banks of Sugar Creek, smallie heaven! May be this summer we could fish.
smallstreamfisher@hotmail.com