PDA

View Full Version : New to Cosby Area, Any Ideas.

Mac
03-09-2011, 02:32 PM
As I get to pick two backcountry trips in the Smokys each year the family gets to pick some Holiday places they want to go and Camp.

This year for the Memorial Day weekend they picked the Jellystone Campground at 4946 Hooper Hwy, Cosby TN.

Its Kind of funny because i have fished the North, South and Western part of the park but dont have any experience with this section of the park. :rolleyes:

Any recommended day trips in the area anyone would have. I have fished the Ramsey Cascades area that is somewhat close and I really enjoyed it but that is about as far east i have been.

I guess my only preference is looking for places that i could do in a single day trip. I enjoy the out of the way places but anywhere that my chances are good are the best. :biggrin:

I appreciate any advice, Thanks

Rog 1
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Cosby Creek up above the campground in the Park will yield some native trout....small fish and skinny water...there is also the Big Creek area about half way to Cataloochie...

Hugh Hartsell
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Mac, If you are going to be at Jellystone there is some great fishing in the stream (Indian Camp Creek) that flows right through the campground and moves down into the local farmland. It is sort of rough and there are several small waterfalls with nice sized holes that contain very nice fish. If you will find the road that turns off to the left, slightly North of the campground and follow it for a short ways you will see the stream move away from the road and all you need to do is knock on a door or two and ask if it is alright to fish. They will almost always say, yes. Just be courteous and they will allow you back the next time. This stream runs into Cosby Creek a few miles downstream and it is a good place to fish as well. If you make it to the stream, show us some pictures.
Hugh

Ky Tim
03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Mac, If you are going to be at Jellystone there is some great fishing in the stream (Indian Camp Creek) that flows right through the campground and moves down into the local farmland. It is sort of rough and there are several small waterfalls with nice sized holes that contain very nice fish. If you will find the road that turns off to the left, slightly North of the campground and follow it for a short ways you will see the stream move away from the road and all you need to do is knock on a door or two and ask if it is alright to fish. They will almost always say, yes. Just be courteous and they will allow you back the next time. This stream runs into Cosby Creek a few miles downstream and it is a good place to fish as well. If you make it to the stream, show us some pictures.
Hugh

I wondered what the name of that stram was. Wife, kids and I camped there back in 2003 and had a stream side tent site. I literally cuaght small trout right behind my tent.